PureVisionHD 1080 (3 Viewers)

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
To be honest I do not understand your question :confused:
Ok I was asking if there was anywhere on the mediaportal website that had a more descriptive listing of the xml file names and what that particular file actually did.

So to use my original query I asked "I want to change the colour scheme for the recorded tv list" and you replied edit "mytvrecordedtv.xml".

If there were a list of xml files and in that list were "mytvrecordedtv.xml" and the description of that xml said "shows recorded tv list and associated list parameters" then I could have looked up the list first without having to ask.

I realise there are lots of xml files for the main program and also all the extensions so it would be quite a list.

Hopefully that makes sense.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was asking if there was anywhere on the mediaportal website that had a more descriptive listing of the xml file names and what that particular file actually did.
    Over the years that I have been using MP, I have developed my own skin that looks and (as far as possible) behaves the way that I want, but it was all trial and error. :(

The MP Wiki contains a description of most of the skin capabilities, but do not rely on it being complete or even correct :eek:. Sadly, there is no "index" that describes the function of each xml file. You have to try to deduce the function from the name of the file, and the various files are not necessarily all named sensibly. :cry:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, there is no list of all xmls used in MP or the different plugins. in the MP Wiki.
    But: in the skin folder you´ll see all the xmls used with more or less descriptive names, as e.g. "mytvrecordedtv.xml" for the tv recordings appearence.
    All the "old standard files" begin with "my", later added files for plugins as e.g. MovingPictures or TVSeries do not have this prefix.
    Additionally skinners have the opportunity to put often used code in xmls starting with "common", e.g. "common.time" or "common.windows" which then can be referenced in other xmls via "import" or "include". This is to not repeat the same code in all screens and therefore reduce the size of the xmls.
    Also interesting: All popup menus are named "Dialog..." where the appearance of the different menus/screens are coded.

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Over the years that I have been using MP, I have developed my own skin that looks and (as far as possible) behaves the way that I want, but it was all trial and error. :(

The MP Wiki contains a description of most of the skin capabilities, but do not rely on it being complete or even correct :eek:. Sadly, there is no "index" that describes the function of each xml file. You have to try to deduce the function from the name of the file, and the various files are not necessarily all named sensibly. :cry:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Well, there is no list of all xmls used in MP or the different plugins. in the MP Wiki.
    But: in the skin folder you´ll see all the xmls used with more or less descriptive names, as e.g. "mytvrecordedtv.xml" for the tv recordings appearence.
    All the "old standard files" begin with "my", later added files for plugins as e.g. MovingPictures or TVSeries do not have this prefix.
    Additionally skinners have the opportunity to put often used code in xmls starting with "common", e.g. "common.time" or "common.windows" which then can be referenced in other xmls via "import" or "include". This is to not repeat the same code in all screens and therefore reduce the size of the xmls.
    Also interesting: All popup menus are named "Dialog..." where the appearance of the different menus/screens are coded.

Thanks guys for that info it is very helpful.

I am certainly no expert but I feel somewhat confident in tinkering when needed which I have done in the past.

I have successfully changed the colour of the "not watched" recordings in "mytvrecordedtv.xml". I have now found out that what I needed to change was a .png file in the skin media folder so that was a learning experience.

Next job is moving the "Yes / No" buttons in that dialog box to a different location as on my new 4K TV the buttons are not centred vertically in the main display box?

Nothing too major just some fine tuning.

biship

Portal Pro
    June 14, 2008
    How can I change the MP-TVSeries views (for both Season and Episode views) to show the actual rating instead of the stars?
    Showing 6 stars is nice, but I'd like to know precisely what it is rated (eg 6.2).
    Thank you for the skin BTW!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom