[solved] Q: thumbnail creation for Pictures plugin (1 Viewer)

volumia

Portal Pro
November 23, 2011
whereever my feet take me...
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Something has been puzzling me for some time now, so figured why not ask here and see if anyone knows how to solve it.

We keep a share to store all our pictures and video's from holidays and such and use MePo 1.20.0.
The Pictures plug-in wil automatically generate thumbnails for all of them, that get created and stored for the database "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\Pictures".
It will also create a thumbnail in the actual folder containing the images/videos.
Folder.jpg

However, it will do so properly for images (jpg), but not for videos (mp4, avi, mkv) and leave just a grey thumbnail in the folder.
Folder.jpg

If it can generate a thumb for the videos and store that for the database, why would it not do so for the thumb in the folder? Is this normal behaviour, or is my setup failing in some way?
Aantekening.png

Hope someone can shed a light on this for me.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If it can generate a thumb for the videos and store that for the database, why would it not do so for the thumb in the folder?
    Perhaps I have misunderstood the problem, but the screen shot of your settings shows that the setting Leave a thumb in video folder is not enabled. What happens if you enable it?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

volumia

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi CyberSimian,

Actually, I've been fiddling with that as well, but unfortunately that doesn't change anything for the thumbnail creation for the Pictures plug-in.
    Seem to be only affecting the Videos section only. That's why I left it like that.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    As we are a few versions down the road now... has anyone been dealing with the same issue and found a fix?
    Have you tried 1.25? Is it the same problem? Are there errors in the log file? :coffee::)

volumia

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi ajs,

Yep, I am currently on 1.25, the folders to scan contain MP4, AVI and MKV video files and are on a network share with full read/write permissions.
    The screen capture is in Dutch, sorry for that.

When I choose option 3 nothing even happens. When I select option 1 (create thumbnails recursive), it seems to go and I get results in the log file.
    However, no thumbs are created.
    On any other folder on the same share with JPG files, all works well.

Oh, and please ignore the erros on SoundGraph in the log. Someone took the cable of the connector and I still have to put it back ;)

Attachments

• img001.jpg
      img001.jpg
      94.2 KB
    • img002.jpg
      img002.jpg
      80.7 KB
    • MediaPortal.log
      17.7 KB

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    The screen capture is in Dutch, sorry for that.
    No problem ...

In log i see:
    Code:
    [2020-09-02 18:00:13,284] [Log    ] [RefreshThumbnailsThread] [DEBUG] - VideoThumbCreator: Settings loaded - using 1 columns and 1 rows. Share thumb = False, preRecordInterval = 1.
    [2020-09-02 18:00:13,286] [Log    ] [RefreshThumbnailsThread] [DEBUG] - Skipped creating thumbnail for \\haleysystems.local\root\Multimedia\Foto & film\Film\2009\2009-11-01 (bij oma van Baarlen)\100_1631.MOV, it has been blacklisted because last attempt failed
    One entry for one file, thumbnail creation was not done. an error occurred the previous time, it will be repeated after a while.

If you go to the folder in the plugin, the process of creating thumbnails for this folder starts automatically. For videos, if the attempt is unsuccessful, they are blacklisted, and in the near future there will be no attempts to create previews for them.

volumia

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, then there are quite a few blacklisted I guess. I could not locate them in the database as such.
    So dumping the database and rebuilding it, will get rid of the blacklisted as well?

In that case, I will log the rebuild (while creating thumbs) and see what happens.

volumia

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, the thumbs get created and stored in ...\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\Pictures\... and in ...\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\Videos\... So that's half a win.
    Still, I do not see the folder.jpg showing up in the folder where the actual video resides, like with the JPG pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom