Questions regarding Watched Status sync (1 Viewer)

popy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 3, 2011
    Hey guys.

I have used follw.it a long time with MP-TVSeries & Moving Pictures.
    Now the service was shut down and ill think ill will be switching to Trakt.
    But i have some questions.

My Setup is as follows:

Dedicated TV Server with Mediaportal Client + TVServer Installed
    This Server/Installation holds all the databases for MPTVSeries & MovingPictures and also the fanarts.
    The client of MediaPortal will never ever be started on this machine.
    On this server i am adding new series, movies in the MPTVSeries & MovingPictures Config Tools.

Multiple Client HTPCs with Mediaportal Client Installed
    On boot every client is copying all the databases and fanarts from the server and OVERWRITES the local ones. Also the local watched flags get overwritten with an older state (at the time of adding the latest series to the server DBs).
    Then it launches Mediaportal which sync all the watched flags with follw.it (and now trakt)

So here are my questions:
    • With follw.it, after watching a series or movie the watched flag was immediately synced
      Is this also the same with trakt plugin?
    • Does trakt.tv sync immediately at startup of MP? Also when ill "reset" the database to the server state on each boot
    Ex.: i am watching an episode in the living room to the end and giving it 10 stars. Living room client will be shut down. ~ 10 mins later I am booting sleeping room client -> it will copy the latest server databases and overwrite its own mptvseries and mp databases -> will the episode from the living room be marked as watched?

thx
    pOpY

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    With follw.it, after watching a series or movie the watched flag was immediately synced
    Is this also the same with trakt plugin?
    Yes.That is called a scrobble.

Does trakt.tv sync immediately at startup of MP?
    Yes (there is a configurable delay in the GUI Advanced Settings if you have the Extensions plugin installed).
    There is also a configurable periodic sync whilst running. All syncs are 'Full' and not incremental.

Note: if you want to sync ratings with other machines then ensure you enable sync ratings in settings.

Ex.: i am watching an episode in the living room to the end and giving it 10 stars. Living room client will be shut down. ~ 10 mins later I am booting sleeping room client -> it will copy the latest server databases and overwrite its own mptvseries and mp databases -> will the episode from the living room be marked as watched?

If you're copying your databases around why are you asking me if it will marked as watched? Of course it will, you just copied your database which contains the watched flags/ratings etc :)

Even if the trakt plugin was configured to sync after that, it will reconcile that the episode/movie is already watched when comparing with online state. You can even turn off library sync on one of your clients that way it will only scrobble and send new watched states to trakt.

Note: because you're copying databases around you are not running a recommended / supported setup for TVSeries / MovingPictures which does not officially support that. You run the risk of those clients attempting to write to the database during that period. It would be smart to configure a delay for the sync so you know the database has already been copied or even prevent any library sync on less used pc's. The risk may be minimal and may never happen, but it's there.

popy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 3, 2011
    Hey ltfearme.

thx for the answers.

If you're copying your databases around why are you asking me if it will marked as watched? Of course it will, you just copied your database which contains the watched flags/ratings etc :)

Even if the trakt plugin was configured to sync after that, it will reconcile that the episode/movie is already watched when comparing with online state. You can even turn off library sync on one of your clients that way it will only scrobble and send new watched states to trakt.

Note: because you're copying databases around you are not running a recommended / supported setup for TVSeries / MovingPictures which does not officially support that. You run the risk of those clients attempting to write to the database during that period. It would be smart to configure a delay for the sync so you know the database has already been copied or even prevent any library sync on less used pc's. The risk may be minimal and may never happen, but it's there.

Dont get me wrong, the database copy is done ONCE at every BOOT in this order:

• MP Client Windows boots
    • BEFORE start of MP it will copy databases and fanart from server...
    • ...and then start Mediaportal
    So ill think this is not an unsupported setup for TVSeries / MovingPictures.
    I am just doing this because ill want to admin the TVSeries / MovingPictures databases and fanart at one place, the server.
    ill know that i am copying over the "old" watched flags on every boot but here comes TRAKT ;)

Does this work with trakt plugin when the TVSeries / MovingPictures database gets reseted on every boot?
    Or could this whole procedure i am doing on every boot done inanther way with trakt?

thx
    pOpY

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Dont get me wrong, the database copy is done ONCE at every BOOT in this order:
    MP Client Windows boots
    BEFORE start of MP it will copy databases and fanart from server...
    ...and then start Mediaportal
    So ill think this is not an unsupported setup for TVSeries / MovingPictures.
    Thanks for the clarification, then yes that should be okay as long as TVSeries/MovPics hasn't initialised which is the case.

Does this work with trakt plugin when the TVSeries / MovingPictures database gets reseted on every boot?
    Problem with that scenario, if you're copying a database which has no watched flags / ratings set then it will write to every single episode movie record when sync'd from online...this can be very fast but could take a CPU hit depending on how many movies/shows/episodes you have watched and rated. It would be a good to copy one of the client databases back to the server periodically so it has the latest watched/userratings and hence less work to do when syncing.

popy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 3, 2011
    Problem with that scenario, if you're copying a database which has no watched flags / ratings set then it will write to every single episode movie record when sync'd from online...this can be very fast but could take a CPU hit depending on how many movies/shows/episodes you have watched and rated. It would be a good to copy one of the client databases back to the server periodically so it has the latest watched/userratings and hence less work to do when syncing.

thx for the info.
    I have done updating of the server dbs wacthed flags from time to time this way: Just started the MPTVSeries and MovPic Config Tool and that automatically synced the watchedflags from follw.it without even starting MP on the server.

Is this also possible with trakt in any way?

Ex.: Schedule a task with windows taskplaner on the server which fires trakt sync every day or so.

thx
    pOpY

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Is this also possible with trakt in any way?
    The Trakt plugin only does the sync from the GUI i.e. when you launch MediaPortal...we did have an option for syncing from configuration but was removed. I can consider re-adding it in a future build.

popy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 3, 2011
    Would be nice if the option comes back ;)
    Currently i can live without it -> your plugin has todo a little bit mor on boot o_O

thx
    pOpY

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have plans to improve the configuration from the MediaPortal configuration tool, so will slip it in there.

Priority right now is to get the plugin ready for the next version of trakt website/api though as a lot stuff will stop working then.

your plugin has todo a little bit mor on boot o_O
    Like what? or do you mean has to do more from the configuration tool?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom