RAM Disk....via IMDisk toolkit....not persisting...disappears on re-boot (1 Viewer)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Have you tried a different drive letter for the ram disk (just in case R: is somehow conflicting with 'hidden' recovery partition or something)?

Maybe try using CCleaner to clean up the registry?
Yup....tried all of that! (good to know I'm doing something right I suppose...:LOL: )

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
I would have thought that that was obvious:

(1) Re-install Windows.
(2) Resist the temptation to install the MSI RAM disk software.

Just trying to be helpful! :D

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
Understood...:eek:

(1) Re-install.....not good with this....the original media I have, is for Win8!
There must be a 'repair' option....save all my settings/programmes?
(Thinking of RESET option here!)
(2) MSI Software not available at the mo'....so can't be tempted!!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    AFAIK - once Win 10 is installed and 'activated' on a PC, it's licensed to that machine's hardware, so you can re-install it without needing the Win 8 media for licensing purposes. You can create a bootable memory stick with the Win 10 installer on it using the 'media creation' tool on the MS website, if you need to do a 'blank hard disk' install. Otherwise (as you said) there is a 'reset' option with Win 10 itself which basically does a re-install of the OS (but you loose all your installed software and settings). There are also some 'repair' options available.

Last edited:

larserikosterud

July 15, 2020
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    For what it is worth I have the same problem.
    Used the 2016 32-bit lmdisk on two computers with Windows 10 64-bit. Worked as a charm.
    Now I tried "upgrading" to the 2020 64-bit version. And get the same problem as you.
    When setting up the disk it says it cannot format it. And it will not persist at boot.
    I also get a message from Windows 10 that the new disk must be formatted (but that doesn't help).
    Very annoying (happends at both Windows 10 computers).
    I'm windering if I should try the 32-bit version (even if both systems are 64) or go back to the 2016 version of lmdisk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom