RAM Disk....via IMDisk toolkit....not persisting...disappears on re-boot (1 Viewer)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Used this RAM disk successfully on an older machine in 2017...and setup was a doddle!!
Now, run into error problems when trying to config (Error: The drive cannot be formatted)

....Following this, I can 'temporarilly' setup a RamDisk in windows10, but it doesn't re-appear after re-boot.
Oh...and I have switched 'off'' the fast boot in power options

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
Perhaps I'm not making much sense here.....so FWIW, here's the error mesage: upload_2019-2-4_21-59-34.png

A bit of GOOGLING suggests that RAMdisk, and Windows10 (1809) aren't getting along??
Are there any other varieties of (free)Ramdisk that members are using with success??

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I use ImDisk (as a RAM disk) on two different Win 10 (1809) 64-bit machines with no problems, and I've just installed it on another machine (1809) and set up a RAM disk - all fine, no error messages (haven't tried the 'reboot' test yet).

Are you using the correct (64-bit or 32-bit) version of ImDisk for the OS you are running?

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    It is fine after a reboot as well.

Your problem sounds a bit like a user permissions issue?
    Thanks!!
    Hhhmmmnn....wonder what has changed, 'permission-wise'??

Can't get past this point (Everything run as Admin)
    upload_2019-2-5_10-33-57.png

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Running out of ideas...

All I've done to test it (twice, on two different PCs, both running Win 10 pro '1809' 64-bit, neither PC has had ImDisk installed before) is download the latest version of ImDisk from https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/files/20190130/ImDiskTk-x64.exe , installed it, and run the 'RamDisk Configuration' tool with the default options - other than choosing 4GB as the size for the second test. I haven't noticed the Windows 'You need to format the disk' message box popping up either - I just end up with an NTFS formatted, usable RAM disk.

I'm logged in as a normal admin-level user on the PCs

Last edited:

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    ...Just realised that this has, possibly, been further complicated by recent install of MSI RamDisk....which came bundled originally with the B360M mobo in my system!
    MSI have withdrawn this feature....apparently due to a Windows10 compilation problem.
    So...I have removed all traces(supposedly!) with Revo uninstaller, before trying again with IMDisk Toolkit....but still same problem...Drive cannot be formatted!!
    Struggling to find a way forward here...:(

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Have you tried a different drive letter for the ram disk (just in case R: is somehow conflicting with 'hidden' recovery partition or something)?

Maybe try using CCleaner to clean up the registry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom