1.27.0 Random "Unable to play" errors after server hardware upgrade. (1 Viewer)

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    I've just upgraded the motherboard, CPU, ram, boot drives and PSU in my TV Server (always on), and am now having intermittent "Unable to play" error's. Its a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, previous OS was WHS2011.

We have 2 PC's we use for watching TV on, and I have MP1 installed on my office PC, all 3 have exhibited this behaviour since updating the server hardware at the weekend, although the two PC's we watch TV on seem to be the most affected. All have 1.27 installed.

We wake one of the client PC's to watch live TV or a recording, it now seems to wake with a message saying TV server connection lost, which we click OK on, go in to the guide and it's fine so has a connection. Click a program to watch, sometimes it works other times we get "Unable to play: Stream X". I reboot the PC and then it works fine (rebooting doesn't always fix it), we'll watch a program, stop watching that and go to play a recording and now it doesn't work - I can't seem to find a pattern to it. Tried recordings before and after the change over, doesn't seem any different, when it fails on a recording we get some weird letters and number combination after the unable to play message.

Both the timeshift folder and the recordings folder are shared with the appropriate users and are on the server, and I can access the folders and play files by doubling clicking them in explorer from the client machines, so access isn't a problem, or a least doesn't seem to be. I had to go through all the folders and reset the owner and permissions, as it was listing weird SID from the previous OS.

The server is running Windows 10 Pro, the two media PC's Windows 10 Home, my office PC is on Pro.

Logs attached.

Any idea's please?

Attachments

• Client MediaPortalLogs_15_03_21__19_02.zip
      628.2 KB
    • Server MP_TVELogs_15_03_21__19_08.zip
      465.2 KB

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    We're still having this problem, and I can't find the answer. I've excluded the recordings and time shift folder from Windows security scans, tried turning it off, also disabling the firewall, nothing really seems to make a difference. The server currently has Malwarebytes trial on it, I've even turned that off, along with excluding the folders from Windows Security.

The lounge media centre will almost always play fine after a reboot, sometimes needing two reboots, we may have to reboot later when switching channel or playing another recording, so it doesn't always stay working for an evenings viewing.

The bedroom media centre hardly ever works, even after rebooting, although sometimes it does. I can try playing a dozen different recordings, or live programs and it fails every time.

My office PC always seems to play everything fine, I watch something on that, go to the bedroom one and it won't play, so its not a disc being asleep, or slow to spin up.

My main PC is using a Microsoft account, the other two PC's are just standard Windows accounts, none have admin rights. If I switch to the admin account it doesn't make any difference. All are on version 1.27 and all are on Windows version 20H2, all are 64 bit, only the office PC and server are running Windows Professional.

I've attached three sets of log files, from the office PC, master bed PC and the server. This morning I played numerous recordings on the office PC around 10:54 to perhaps just after 11:00, then went to the bedroom PC and attempted to play the same recordings and live TV, every time I got the unable to play error.

Is there anybody that could please offer some advice or assistance?

Edit: PS Could a mod move this into the correct sub forum please Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server)?

Attachments

• Office PC - MediaPortalLogs_21_03_21__11_26.zip
      1.9 MB
    • Server MP_TVELogs_21_03_21__11_10.zip
      443.2 KB
    • Master Bed - MediaPortalLogs_21_03_21__11_07.zip
      385.1 KB

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Just as an experiment I got the old TV server working - it's just set up as a motherboard, power supply and the SSD's. Had to changed the server IP address in the database, but it now plays live TV via my HD Homerun tuner.

The bedroom media centre actually worked from the new server, changed it over to use the old one worked fine, change it back to the new one and got unable to play errors, back to the old one and it played live TV no problem, back to the new one and it got unable to play errors again.

So seems clearly to be something related to the new server, which it what I thought considering it only started happening when the new server was put into service.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I looked at your log files, but they are meaningful only to the person who wrote the code that produces the debug information (so not me, then). :(

This thread describes a problem that bears some similarities to yours, with post 15 containing the solution that worked for the original poster. :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    @CyberSimian Thank you, I've had a read and you could be on to something there. I'll try the two options and let you know what happens. I did find another thread between a developer and someone in the test group, but it was to in depth for me and was more leaning towards slow start up of HDD's from sleep.

PS. My PC, and the server are on 10Gbps, the other machines are on 1Gbps, but this is exactly the same networking hardware that was in use before upgrading the server motherboard.

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Changing the timeout's didn't work, so I've set them to use UNC, we'll see how we get on.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Ronski I had a quick check of your logs, the relevant error is
    Code:
    [2021-03-21 11:06:55,284] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [INFO ] - TSReaderPlayer: Open file: rtsp://Server2021:554/stream3.0
    [2021-03-21 11:06:57,297] [Error  ] [MPMain   ] [ERROR] - TSReaderPlayer: Failed to open file:rtsp://Server2021:554/stream3.0 :0x80004005
    Unfortunately that error code is one of those really useful 'something went wrong but I can't be any more specific than that' codes but it looks like a network related issue.
    One thing you can try (if UNC doesn't work) that has resolved similar issues in the past is to set a static IP address for your TV server, then use that IP address in the TV Server hostname box in the client configuration, rather than the name of the Server (or auto) that you appear to be using. This cuts out the hostname->IP lookup on the network that sometimes appears to cause issues with the client.

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks @Brownard I've previously tried entering the servers IP address, but it didn't make any difference.

So far the UNC fix seems to be working, we've had no issues tonight, but it's early days.

Ronski

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Well it's been a couple of days and we've had no more unable to play errors .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom