RC3 Slow EPG (1 Viewer)

KevinM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes. Our own, tweaked config file for MySQL has been introduced with RC2. The typical installation defaults of MySQL is e.g. using way too little sorting cache as it is optimized for "background" usage.

The queries itself are handtweaked to the peak - gathering program info takes around 5 ms here. The rest is ineffective GUI code.

Nevertheless MSSQL can use available RAM much more aggressive and responds to most queries directly from its cache. So while some actions (Mini-EPG, EPG import) might be faster with MySQL, M$ SQL Server will be faster for TVGuide of huge groups and everywhere where "gentle.NET" is used (e.g. channel assignment in SetupTV.exe).

P.S. On the same hardware SQL Server 2008's query response time is even 25% faster.

Any thoughts as to why I am getting good performance from older versions of the TV client? - something seems to have happened to the TV Client between SVN19876 and SVN20143

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In REV 19913 the recording indicator code has been changed. How many schedules do you have currently?

KevinM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2007
    Home Country
    In REV 19913 the recording indicator code has been changed. How many schedules do you have currently?

25 Schedules present in all

22 are ScheduleType 0
    2 are ScheduleType 4
    1 is ScheduleType 2

I don't have large channel groups - just UK Freeview less the dross channels.

I am recording at the moment but when it is clear I will try uninstalling MySQL and let MediaPortal RC3 installer put it back.

Oh BTW, the problem is only present in the Guide. The mini-EPG and Search work fine

tpeosl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can confirm this problem. I have a single seat installation with MySQL. It takes several seconds to scroll a single line in the EPG and the small TV preview window shows only snapshots. The audio signal is ok. I tested it with xface and the new Blue3, both are painfull slow. I have round about 35 channels in my group and 20 schedules, most of them are series schedules. I completely removed my old 0.2.3 installation, and installed RC3 afterwards.

BTW, I have installed the web interface service plugin, too. It seems that the performance of the web EPG is ok.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i can confirm the issue here too.. RC3 in multiseat with server running MySQL.
    Updated from RC2 to RC3 which is exactly when the problem started..
    Tried several skins to no avail...

Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

cheers

KevinM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

Well, applying the TV Server/Client part of SVN19876 to your remote clients running RC3 will provide a temporary fix, but I am going to try reinstalling MySQL using the RC3 installer to see if this improves things generally.

It probably isn't a good idea to try SVN19876 on the server machine itself because it will update the TV Server as well as the Client.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Somehow seems to be a MySQL only issue.
    rtv's guess regarding the record indicator is a good one. would not be the first time that something like that causes this slowness.

afaik rtv also uses MySQL, so hopefuly he will find some time to dig into that problem and confirms / or even fixes it. :)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Somehow seems to be a MySQL only issue.

afaik rtv also uses MySQL, so hopefuly he will find some time to dig into that problem and confirms / or even fixes it. :)

No - it's just gibman's "fix"...

The raw power of SQL Server's cache just doesn't let you see the uglyness. I've asked Bavarian about a TVGuide redesign even before those fixes but using MSSQL as well he couldn't check the slow parts.

No matter how - there's no need to do all those expensive gentle DB queries everytime in that renderchannel method... That code needs a refactoring. All static info should only be gathered once.

KevinM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2007
    Home Country
    ...I am going to try reinstalling MySQL using the RC3 installer to see if this improves things generally.
    It probably isn't a good idea to try SVN19876 on the server machine itself because it will update the TV Server as well as the Client.

Well I stopped the TV service, backed up the TVlibrary, uninstalled MySQL, and re-ran the RC3 Installer. It correctly identified that it just needed to install MySQL and I was able to restore the TVlibrary catalog using MySQL admin.

Unfortunately, this has made no difference to the EPG scroll speed.

I have now installed the RC2 SVN19876 TV Client/Server to my TV server and it is working well. EPG speed has been restored to acceptable levels.

New Info: however - this seems to have broken the EPG display after the cache has timed out.

I think for now I'm going to reinstall with MS SQL Express

KevinM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2007
    Home Country
    I have reinstalled RC3 from scratch using MS SQL Express - it is working fine, though I wish I could use MySQL because it is handy to have it running for other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom