RC3 Slow EPG (1 Viewer)

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Isn't MSSQL slower and more sluggish than MySQL ? If not, i don't mind switching over if it fixes the problem...

There must another, simpler, way to fix this tho... :-(

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Isn't MSSQL slower and more sluggish than MySQL ? If not, i don't mind switching over if it fixes the problem...

Totally depends on whom you ask. ;)

Fact is that MySQL and MS-SQL are both mature SQL-Servers.

Problem is that geeks like mud-wrestling and thats why you see flamewars going on about "which is better".
    (Linux vs. Windows is another good example, but lets not go there. ;) )

I choosen to stick with MS-SQL server which was the first SQL-Server that the MP TV-Server supported (many Server's in that sentence ;) )
    Until today, i did not regret it.

Note:
    For testing i am using the MySQL Server as well, and during testing i was not able to spot any major issues either.

So imo. you just choose the SQL-Server "you prefer".
    Like some prefer BMW over Mercedes and the other way around. :)

ARH

Portal Member
    October 27, 2006
    I too have the very slow epg with mysql. About 50 schedules

This stops me trying rc3 as most of my stuff is tv recording.

KevinM

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

For large applications with multiple concurrent connections MySQL would be much faster than the express version of MS SQL, but this is quite a small database so I doubt there is much difference at all.

However, the implementation of MediaPortal on MS SQL Express appears to be much better than the MySQL one at the moment.

I am fairly familiar with MySQL and I did try tweaking it to speed things up with MediaPortal. This was only partially effective - it still wasn't usable IMO. The MS SQL Express implementation does work well, but uses more memory and processes. From the tests I have done, everything went wrong shortly after the SVN19876 build which was OK. However, using MS SQL, scrolling speed is still quite a bit faster than SVN19876

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ok...

I decided to install SQL Express.... Although the TV Guide response time has dropped from 4 secs down to 0.5 secs, it is still slower than my previous MySql setup..

But now it is once again useable.... :)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Okay for a start:

If you just have an unreasonable amout of channels in your groups you could try adding these indices:

Code:
    ALTER TABLE program ADD INDEX IdxProgramStartTime(startTime);
    ALTER TABLE program ADD INDEX IdxProgramIdChannel(idChannel);
    and tell me if it helps at least a little bit.

If you want to help finding the reason please try the attached tvplugin.dll. It's based on latest SVN and should not be used for the girl friend's system as it might not display the TVGuide's "red dot" as recording indicator at all ;)
    However I am very interested if this is noticeably faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom