Record-button records wrong channel when sed with program-info

Discussion in '1.11.0 Pre Release' started by Sarah, April 2, 2015.

1. Sarah

Sarah Portal Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 3
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Hello all,

I am having a strange behaviour with the record button at my remote in TV Guide:
    - Pressing record on a movie which has not yet started yet brings up program-info (correct)
    - Choosing a movie at program-info and pressing record brings up a window where it only says "TV" and I can choose "current programm" or "endless", but both options only reord the last tv channel I have switched too.
    - Pressing record on a movie which has started already brings up a window where it says TV (movie name is missing) and I can choose "current programm" or "endless", program is recorded correctly then.

I am using the new Generic HID Remote.

Cheers,
    Sarah

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hi,

The behavior has nothing to do with your remote but is a software flaw of the recording function. When in TV Guide on a currently running show pressing of Record will always reference the currently active TV channel, regardless of which channel in the guide is highlighted.

If you really want to start recording a parallel show you need to do this from the context menu.

If you like you may want to create a full bug report in the quality section.

4. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +962 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Perhaps I have misunderstood your problem, but I never press the RECORD button on the remote control. In all of the cases that you described, I press the OK button (also called the SELECT button).

Why are you using RECORD and not OK?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

5. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    @CyberSimian ,

The fact that you are not using the Record button doesn't mean that others need to do the same.

And with respect to the question in the first posting you are not right: OK will not record any show from within the TV Guide if this show has already started - and that is what is mentioned in the first post. In essence if TV is on, there is no easy way to record another channel in parallel, neither with OK nor with Record. The only way to achieve this is to open the context menu and select Record from there.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Sarah

Sarah Portal Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 3
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    If I press OK at the TV guide on a movie which is currently running then the channel is switched if it is in the future the program info is opened.

I would expect that when pressing record over a highlighted movie it should record this movie, independently if it is currently running or in the future.

7. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    @Sarah,

I fully understood your request from the very beginning. See my posting #2

8. Sarah

Sarah Portal Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 3
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Yes, I know. The post was directed to CyberSimian.

9. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +962 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Yes, I agree that that is a perfectly reasonable expectation. But from what HTPC_Sourcer has said, it seems that MP does not work that way, and (I suspect) has never worked that way.

I am one of those people who really dislikes missing the start of programmes. Consequently, I almost never record a programme that has already started (and I use one minute of pre-padding too!). So I rarely use the RECORD button. The only exceptions are magazine-style programmes consisting of several short items, where I happen to be tuning through the channels, and by accident notice that there is a later item that I would like to see. But in that case I press the RECORD button to record the remainder of the programme that is currently on view, so I don't encounter the problem that you have (where you press RECORD in the EPG for a programme that is currently being broadcast, but which is not currently on view).

So I still think that the best way to use MP is to use the OK button whenever possible, and use the RECORD button only in the specific case when you want to record the remainder of the programme that is currently on view.

MediaPortal is a brilliant technical achievement, but there remain aspects of its user interface that could be improved.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!