Record-button records wrong channel when sed with program-info (1 Viewer)

Sarah

Portal Member
May 20, 2013
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello all,

I am having a strange behaviour with the record button at my remote in TV Guide:
- Pressing record on a movie which has not yet started yet brings up program-info (correct)
- Choosing a movie at program-info and pressing record brings up a window where it only says "TV" and I can choose "current programm" or "endless", but both options only reord the last tv channel I have switched too.
- Pressing record on a movie which has started already brings up a window where it says TV (movie name is missing) and I can choose "current programm" or "endless", program is recorded correctly then.

I am using the new Generic HID Remote.

Cheers,
Sarah

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

The behavior has nothing to do with your remote but is a software flaw of the recording function. When in TV Guide on a currently running show pressing of Record will always reference the currently active TV channel, regardless of which channel in the guide is highlighted.

If you really want to start recording a parallel show you need to do this from the context menu.

If you like you may want to create a full bug report in the quality section.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am having a strange behaviour with the record button at my remote in TV Guide
    Perhaps I have misunderstood your problem, but I never press the RECORD button on the remote control. In all of the cases that you described, I press the OK button (also called the SELECT button).

Why are you using RECORD and not OK?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @CyberSimian ,

The fact that you are not using the Record button doesn't mean that others need to do the same.

And with respect to the question in the first posting you are not right: OK will not record any show from within the TV Guide if this show has already started - and that is what is mentioned in the first post. In essence if TV is on, there is no easy way to record another channel in parallel, neither with OK nor with Record. The only way to achieve this is to open the context menu and select Record from there.

Sarah

Portal Member
    May 20, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If I press OK at the TV guide on a movie which is currently running then the channel is switched if it is in the future the program info is opened.

I would expect that when pressing record over a highlighted movie it should record this movie, independently if it is currently running or in the future.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Sarah,

I fully understood your request from the very beginning. See my posting #2
    ... but is a software flaw of the recording function.
    If you like you may want to create a full bug report in the quality section.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would expect that when pressing record over a highlighted movie it should record this movie, independently if it is currently running or in the future.
    Yes, I agree that that is a perfectly reasonable expectation. But from what HTPC_Sourcer has said, it seems that MP does not work that way, and (I suspect) has never worked that way.

I am one of those people who really dislikes missing the start of programmes. Consequently, I almost never record a programme that has already started (and I use one minute of pre-padding too!). So I rarely use the RECORD button. The only exceptions are magazine-style programmes consisting of several short items, where I happen to be tuning through the channels, and by accident notice that there is a later item that I would like to see. But in that case I press the RECORD button to record the remainder of the programme that is currently on view, so I don't encounter the problem that you have (where you press RECORD in the EPG for a programme that is currently being broadcast, but which is not currently on view).

So I still think that the best way to use MP is to use the OK button whenever possible, and use the RECORD button only in the specific case when you want to record the remainder of the programme that is currently on view.

MediaPortal is a brilliant technical achievement, but there remain aspects of its user interface that could be improved.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom