MP2 - V2.1 Recorded TV - recording corrupted if MP client used while recoding in progress (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
MediaPortal 2 Version: 2.1.3

Description
As first reported in this thread.

I seem to have a bug where if I use the MP2 client while a recording is active, the resultant recording is shortened.

In all these tests, the programme was 60 minutes long, with a 5 minute lead-in and a 15 minute lead-out (80 minutes total).

Tests 1 & 2
I scheduled two recordings to occur when I was at work, so the PC would not be disturbed.
Both these recordings were completely successful.
Correct recording 08_55 80mins.jpg

Correct recording 09_55 80mins.jpg

Test 3
I scheduled this recording to begin while the client was off. The recording started at 6:55 PM and was set to run until 08:15. At approximately 7:30 I launched the client and watched part of the programme as it was recording.
Incorrect recording.jpg
The recording shows that is started at 7:33 PM (presumably when I launched the client). The run time is 42 minutes, the difference between 7:33 PM and 8:15 PM

Tests 1 & 2 prove that the recoding would have been started at the correct time, but somehow launching the client has cut off the start of the recording.

Steps to Reproduce:
1) Schedule a recording.
2) While the recording is active, launch the MP2 client

Note: I am not sure exactly what caused the recoding to corrupt, but I mostly tried watching TV including the programme that was recoding. When I launched the client I got the message "Recording has started".

Last edited:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The description is quite detailed and helps to reproduce. tHanks for that.
    I am not sure exactly what caused the recoding to corrupt
    To find that out log files are needed. There could be something on your PC, tht causes trouble when the client is started and this is effecting the recording.
    It might be that others do not have this problem, because of different system specs and accordingly also can not reproduce the problem.

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    I will attempt to re-create the error again tonight, and then attach the logs immediately afterwards.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I will attempt to re-create the error again tonight, and then attach the logs immediately afterwards.
    Perhaps you still have the log files. You can see, that with every start of server/client a suffix is added. Server.log, server1.log, ... until 5.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The most likely cause of the observed effects is that channel mapping has not been done. So a channel would only be maped to one single tuner, hence trying to watch it in parallel would stop the parallel recording because watching is preferred over recording.

Logs will immediately tell this (that's why logs are always required in a bug report). Meanwhile you can verify that there are no open mapping entries for both tuners in the TV Configuration..

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    The most likely cause of the observed effects is that channel mapping has not been done. So a channel would only be maped to one single tuner, hence trying to watch it in parallel would stop the parallel recording because watching is preferred over recording.

Logs will immediately tell this (that's why logs are always required in a bug report). Meanwhile you can verify that there are no open mapping entries for both tuners in the TV Configuration..

I will check, but I am almost certain that instead of channel mapping I ran a full channel scan on both tuners in my DVB-S2 card, but you're right - it is a simple check. I shall do it tonight.

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    I had done a partial mapping for Tuner B and a complete mapping for Tuner A (see images). The channels that I was recording from (Horror and Horror +1 were mapped to both tuners. I have now mapped all channels to both Tuners. Maybe by chance I clicked on a channel which was only mapped to Tuner A?

I will re-create last night's test and post the log files afterwards. I think I have started the MP2 client too many times to have the log files from last night.

Tuner A (complete mapping)
    Tuner A.jpg

Tuner B (partial mapping)
    Tuner B.jpg

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    I was not able to re-create the error tonight, probably because of the channel mapping correction in my previous post.

In the attached log files you can see two recordings from this evening, one starting at 18:55 and ending at 20:!5 and another starting at 19:55 and ending at 21:15.
    You can also see me fiddling around at 19:30, but this does not stop the recording.

However I did mess up at 19:06 when I accidentally put the PC to sleep and interrupted the 18:55>20:15 recording. The PC immediately re-woke to continue the the recording and I missed the section from 19:06:29 to 19:06:52.

So I think the first issue has probably been solved by the channel mapping as suggested by @HTPCSourcer, but I would be interested to know if there is a way for MP2 to prevent the PC from sleeping while a recording is in progress.

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2018-09-05-21.15.54.zip
      2.6 MB

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

So I think the first issue has probably been solved by the channel mapping as suggested by @HTPCSourcer, but I would be interested to know if there is a way for MP2 to prevent the PC from sleeping while a recording is in progress.

you just need to use the PowerScheduler Plugin within TV Server Configuration. It is intended for that purpose.

Cheers

Blue Max

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Excellent - thanks @BlueMax1916

Kind of think that should be default behaviour rather than an option plugin, though! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom