Recording Disk Quota not working for networked drives (samba drives?) (1 Viewer)

ahkali

Portal Member
December 3, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.3.0

Description
With all plugins disabled I cannot use the 'disk quota' feature on networked drives (in my case samba share on an ubuntu server, which is my record folder). It is stuck at 'calculating space..'

Steps to Reproduce:
1) Add a samba network share for a recording target.
2) Try and use the 'disk quota' feature
3) The recording works, the disk quota does not.

Last edited by a moderator:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Seems to be working fine here, so it might be related to the Ubuntu server.

But (as the bug report info mentioned) we need at least Logs & system specs to figure out what's going on.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So... let me get this right. You've got the TV Server installed on a Windows 8 machine and your recordings folder is set to an SMB share on the Ubuntu server?

First thing i noticed is that your screenshot doesn't show a drive selected in the pulldown menu. Second thing that could need attention is the user account the TvService is running under. This should have write priviliges on your Ubuntu server (but since you state the recording is working, i assume you've got that set up correctly).

Curious if you're able to test the same thing with a SMB share on a Windows machine, to see if the quota works on that for you.

Disk Quota.PNG

Last edited:

ahkali

Portal Member
    December 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Yes this is correct. Windows 8 is the tv server and ubuntu (12.10) is a file server running samba. The reason that the screenshot doesn't show the drive selected is because no drives are available in the list. It just shows 'checking space...' with no drives available--it is completely blank, no choices-- if I try and click the blank area where a choice normally would be nothing happens (it is not a selectable field) which makes sense I guess because it is completely blank. I would take a picture of this, but when the window loses focus the selection drop-down collapses.

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, then that explains why the Disk Quota option isn't working. Since you didn't select a drive, there is nothing to calculate.

** EDIT **
    Just tried to set up a network share for the Recordings folder, but the Disk Quota option isn't working on shares. Also setting login details for the TvService doesn't matter in this case. Now the question is, if this is supposed to work or not...
    Remote share.PNG

@Owlsroost any thought on this?

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    After some further investigation (big TNX to @mm1352000) it seems that the Disk Quota is calculated based on the Win32_logicalDisk WMI class, which represents a data source that resolves to an actual local storage device on a computer system running Windows. Meaning: it's limited to local storage devices.

So setting this to 'No Bug' for now, since network shares aren't supported.

I also tried to map the network share to my TV Server PC, but that didn't work either. If there would be an alternative class which would also work with network shares, that might be a nice improvement, but team has to look into this.

Added a note about this 'limitation' to the Wiki

Last edited:

ahkali

Portal Member
    December 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Ok thanks for the info. I suppose ill have to design my own script to monitor disk quota. But add me as one who would like 'network shares' as a requested feature enhancement. I'd imagine other people would find this useful as it is found in nextpvr, tvheadend, mythtv, (and probably others). Thanks again!

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok thanks for the info. I suppose ill have to design my own script to monitor disk quota. But add me as one who would like 'network shares' as a requested feature enhancement. I'd imagine other people would find this useful as it is found in nextpvr, tvheadend, mythtv, (and probably others). Thanks again!

Network or NAS drives not supported... *ouch*. An essential thing in a good HTPC setup is offcourse a silent slimmed down PC, with networkdrives doing the recording, downloading and streaming (movies/videos/recordings/photos/music/etc). I'm sorry, but HTPC software not supporting this doesn't look good... :unsure:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm sorry, but HTPC software not supporting this doesn't look good... :unsure:
    Think you didn't read the entire thread. We're not talking about streaming/recording/etc. since this is all working. We're only talking about the Disk Quota option on network shares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom