Recordings will not stop (1 Viewer)

willemx

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    My recordings will not stop anymore. They go on for days if I don't stop them manually by restarting the TV service. Stopping them on the client does not work.
    In the error log I see lots of errors like:
    Scheduler: stop record did not succeed (trying again in 1 min.)

Attachments

• log.zip
      2 MB

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It looks like the filenames are too long (due to the TV program titles being very long, I assume):

Code:
    [2019-05-29 20:36:02,353]
    [2019-05-29 20:36:02,353] [Log    ] [TVService] [DEBUG] - ExecutePendingDeletions: trying to remove file : D:\recordings\een HD\Murder in the First\Murder in the First - 2018-09-12 - Amerikaanse misdaadserie. Nothing But The Truth. Jamie bekomt van haar tirade. Wanneer haar familie wordt bedreigd, zweert Hildy de zaak tot op het bot te zullen uitspitten.ts
    [2019-05-29 20:36:02,353] [Log    ] [TVService] [DEBUG] - DeleteRecordingOnDisk: 'D:\recordings\een HD\Murder in the First\Murder in the First - 2018-09-12 - Amerikaanse misdaadserie. Nothing But The Truth. Jamie bekomt van haar tirade. Wanneer haar familie wordt bedreigd, zweert Hildy de zaak tot op het bot te zullen uitspitten.ts'
    [2019-05-29 20:36:02,353] [Log    ] [TVService] [DEBUG] -  - deleting 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\thumbs\Murder in the First - 2018-09-12 - Amerikaanse misdaadserie. Nothing But The Truth. Jamie bekomt van haar tirade. Wanneer haar familie wordt bedreigd, zweert Hildy de zaak tot op het bot te zullen uitspitten.jpg'
    [2019-05-29 20:36:02,353] [Log    ] [TVService] [ERROR] - RecordingFileHandler: Error while deleting a recording from disk: Het opgegeven pad, de bestandsnaam of beide zijn te lang. De volledig gekwalificeerde bestandsnaam moet minder dan 260 tekens bevatten en de mapnaam minder dan 248 tekens.

(The error message in English is: "The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must contain fewer than 260 characters and the folder name must contain fewer than 248 characters.")

It looks like there is a problem in TV Server, in that it shouldn't be creating files it can't delete, but where are you getting your EPG data from - it seems to be joining the program description and the title together, creating a very long title?

willemx

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I am using WebGrab++. It grabs the EPG from tv sites, so I think some tv site must have changed its format recently. I will check and report back.
    Thank you for looking into this!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    When I have time, I'll take a look at the filename length checking that is done when recordings are started by TV Server - e.g. it might not be checking for the path lengths to the 'thumbs' folder.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I am using WebGrab++. It grabs the EPG from tv sites, so I think some tv site must have changed its format recently. I will check and report back.
    Are you including the episode name in the file name?

You specify the style of the file name in "TV Server Config" (see this page in the Wiki). If your EPG source has incorrectly defined the episode name (it looks like the complete programme description :eek:), that might explain the cause of the overlong file name.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    When I have time, I'll take a look at the filename length checking that is done when recordings are started by TV Server - e.g. it might not be checking for the path lengths to the 'thumbs' folder.

@willemx - If you are using MP 1.22 TV Server, attached is a replacement 'TvService.exe' which checks the record filename lengths and will adjust (truncate) if necessary to keep within the Windows limits.

(The change will also be included in MP 1.23 pre-release)

Attachments

• TvService_exe_MP1-4964_1.zip
      84 KB

willemx

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @CyberSimian : Thanks for stepping in: I checked the file name settings, but they are ok, just %title% - %channel% - %date%.
    I did not change the WebGrab or MP settings lately, so I don´t understand what happened. I guess maybe WebGrab or the EPG site had some sort of hiccup.
    I have made sure that filenames cannot be too long anymore. I made a small script that parses the tvguide.xml and corrects long titles, but they haven´t shown up anymore. With the new TvService.exe made by OwlsRoost, that script shouldn´t be necessary anymore...

@Owlsroost : The errors about ExecutePendingDeletions still appear in the logfile. Somehow MediaPortal insists on deleting these files even though the files don´t even exist anymore on the file system.
    Is there a way to force MediaPortal to ´forget´ these pending deletions?

I tried to find a way to do this in the TV Server Configuration app: I opened ´Recording > Database import´
    Nothing appeared in the entries window, but when I clicked ´Remove invalid entries´, I was being presented with lots of ´Recording not found on disk´ dialogs, asking to delete the entries.
    However if I click ´Ýes´ to delete an entry, there is an error message ´Cleanup failed. Unable to remove objects that have not yet been persisted´
    Unfortunately there is no way to stop these dialogs. You have to click through an endless list of entries. And even more unfortunately, the dialogs are placed on different screen positions depending on the content, so it is difficult to click the right button every time. And after clicking hundreds of times, it is very easy to miss the last dialog and then you automatically click the ´Remove invalid entries´ again, forcing you through the whole procedure again (and again.:()'
    Is there another way to get rid of these invalid entries?

Do you think the ExecutePendingDeletions are also the cause of the recordings not stopping?
    I will install your new TvService.exe and will report back...

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Is there another way to get rid of these invalid entries?
    Yes, there is :). In MP, go to the "Recorded TV" panel, and then move the focus left to display the left side menu. There should be a button called "Clean-up recordings". Select that. An alarming pop-up appears warning you that recordings will be deleted, but ignore that and continue. On the next pop-up, select "Invalid recordings". This deletes invalid entries from the SQL database, it does not delete files from the disk.

I checked the file name settings, but they are ok, just %title% - %channel% - %date%.
    If you look at the log extract that @Owlsroost showed in his post, you will see that the file name in the log file does not correspond to the style that you mention above. From the title, it looks as though the recording is part of a series. Remember that in "TV Server Config" you can specify separate styles for series recordings and for single recordings. Did you check the style for series recordings?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

willemx

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @CyberSimian : 'Cleanup recordings' worked; invalid entries are gone now.
    You were right about the file name settings: in the 'series style' title there was an episode-name parameter that must have caused the trouble.
    Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom