Recurring No Free Tuner Available Issue (1 Viewer)

threnode

September 14, 2014
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
I've seen the 'No Free Tuner Available' message a couple of times this month:

On Sunday 12th July, when no recordings worked for most of the preceding week, and

Today, Sunday 26th July, when the last recording was 'Don't Take My Baby' at 02:23 am on Thursday 23rd July.

I've attached my log files, and I've been through the log files on both occasions, but not managed to pinpoint the issue. A reboot temporarily fixes the issue.

When no cards are available, the DVB EPG listings stop updating from that point, as you'd expect.

The last major change to my UK Freeview-based Media Centre was to re-add my TBS 6285 Quad tuner card to the 2 existing BlackGold BGT3620 cards.

I'd be really grateful if someone would please take a look at the logs, diagnose and let me know what the problem might be.

Many thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello threnode

The log files show that TV Server is choking up with failed tune requests. Unfortunately they don't go back far enough to see the start of the problem, but I suspect it is similar to the problem discussed here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/recording-failed-to-start.128150/

Ensure the DVB EPG grabber is configured properly. It looks like you're in the UK. If you are, you should be able to:
    • untick "grab EPG only for channels on same transponder"
    • untick "store data only for selected channels" in both TV and radio EPG grabber sub-sections
    • tick one (yes, that's right - only one!) 24 hour channel
    ...and if I'm right, this should give you full EPG, save you money (currently it looks like TV Server is constantly EPG grabbing - totally unnecessary power use and tuner wear and tear), and solve the problem at the same time. :)

Note: you'll have to restart the PC to kick TV Server out of the rut that its currently in.

Regards,
    mm

threnode

September 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Hi mm

Many thanks for your speedy response. I'm implementing your solution and rebooting.

Thank you also for the link to CyberSimian's related thread. There's lots of really useful info in that thread, including best practice on how to retune next time the UK Freeview line-up changes.

Many thanks for your help.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It looks like you're in the UK. If you are, you should be able to:
    • untick "grab EPG only for channels on same transponder"
    • untick "store data only for selected channels" in both TV and radio EPG grabber sub-sections
    • tick one (yes, that's right - only one!) 24 hour channel
    ...and if I'm right, this should give you full EPG,
    I'm implementing your solution and rebooting.
    I can confirm that in the UK it is necessary to grab from only one 24-hour TV channel. I recommend using "BBC1 HD". I did some testing recently, which I described in another thread starting with this post:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...nly-after-s3-or-s5.131146/page-2#post-1141685

with my final conclusions in this post:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...nly-after-s3-or-s5.131146/page-3#post-1142366

Although I currently have timeshift grabbing disabled, that is for an unrelated reason (motherboard issues). The reason for keeping timeshift grabbing enabled is so that your HTPC will receive last-minute EPG updates caused by programmes over-running (e.g. live sport).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom