1.12.0 Redirected log path: some files created in standard path (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks:) - but I have no VS2013/2015 installed and also never worked on such projects. :barefoot:

Anybody out there who could compile the two entries in TSReader.cpp and dshowhelper.cpp to point to the generic path definied in mediaportaldirs.xml instead?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Anybody out there who could compile the two entries in TSReader.cpp and dshowhelper.cpp to point to the generic path definied in mediaportaldirs.xml instead?

If only it was that simple... ;) (remember the filters are written in C++ and the main part of MP is written in C# and uses the .NET framework libraries. So you can't just simply port across the XML file parsing code from the C# world).

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,

I have changed the standard path for logs (and databases, etc.) to point to my central server. All logs are now created there, except

evr.log
    TsReader.log

which are still stored in the standard path C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log.

@Owlsroost , I trust that you know your code better than anybody else ;).

Regards,
    HTPCSourcer

What other C++ log are ok ? Maybe we can take the code from there ? But still it's surely not easy (i mean) surely a lot of change because we need to parse the info from C# side to C++ etc. lol but doable with time lol

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    All of the filters are C++ (they basically have to be because of DirectShow).

The main client filters are TsReader, DVBSub3, MPAudioRenderer, BDReader, Core-CC-Parser - AFAIK these all have a hard-wired log path.

These are also used by MP2 and can be used 'standalone' by other apps - that is why the log path situation isn't just an 'MP1' thing...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What other C++ log are ok ? Maybe we can take the code from there ?
    As I said in my first post: all logs except evr and tsreader (and restart.vbs) are logged in the log path that is defined in the mediaportaldirs.xml. So I trust that you could pick any source that is writing a log as an example.[DOUBLEPOST=1440266175][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The main client filters are TsReader, DVBSub3, MPAudioRenderer, BDReader, Core-CC-Parser - AFAIK these all have a hard-wired log path.
    Ah, I am not using MPAR and BD. I also don't know what Core-CC Parser is and if it does anything in my own Environment.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Ah, I am not using MPAR and BD. I also don't know what Core-CC Parser is and if it does anything in my own Environment.

I've just checked the code for all the filters I listed above - they all have the same hard-wired log path.

The TV server filters e.g. TsWriter also have a hard-wired log path, it's just a different one.

I know it's frustrating for you, but as I have said before you can 'fix' the problem right now by using symbolic links in Windows (to re-direct the log folder) without needing to change any code at all if you want to....

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've just checked the code for all the filters I listed above - they all have the same hard-wired log path.
    Which makes sense in terms that they probably all come from the same source and therefore have the same legacy :)

The TV server filters e.g. TsWriter also have a hard-wired log path, it's just a different one.
    Much less of a nuisance since the server side is running on the server, where the redirected log path is pointing too.

I know it's frustrating for you
    Nah, I am pretty resiliant :D

you can 'fix' the problem right now by using symbolic links in Windows (to re-direct the log folder)
    In fact it is more a question of personal comfort when collecting logs for uploading to a support thread, which now risk to miss some content. I am not sure what exactly you mean by symbolic links. Can you give me an example please?

I will amend the Wiki entry about the centralized path (mediaportaldirts.xml) and add some more information about the hardcoded logging of the above-mentioned files,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom