1.12.0 Redirected log path: some files created in standard path (2 Viewers)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am not sure what exactly you mean by symbolic links. Can you give me an example please?

See this post early in this thread - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...created-in-standard-path.131632/#post-1147325

Symbolic links (or 'symlinks') work like Windows shortcuts, except that they are transparent to the software ('shortcuts' need to be supported in the software to work, so they are not actually generally useful things).

What they allow you to do is have a 'virtual' file or folder in one place that actually physically exists somewhere else e.g. on a different drive or on a another PC via a UNC path etc.

I've used them myself in the past to move the MP client log folder to a RAMdrive (I don't bother doing that now, since today we have threaded logging in the filters so the important code doesn't get slowed down writing log lines directly out to disk).

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I'll try and do the 'log path in the registry' mod over the weekend....(that *should* be much easier).

@HTPCSourcer

Attached are versions of dshowhelper and TsReader which read their logging path from the registry.

The default path is unchanged - ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log - and they will automatically create the reg key and value for that path (if the key/value doesn't already exist), but you can change it to whatever you want afterwards, including UNC paths etc.

The registry key is in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team MediaPortal\Client Common

The registry value is called 'LogFolderPath' and is a REG_SZ type.

Note it is one value for both dshowhelper and TsReader - it makes it easier to change....

Have fun ;)

Attachments

• TsReader_v4.1.0.12_for_MP_1.11_RegLogPath_testing.zip
      184.2 KB
    Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @Owlsroost ,

I do appreciate your efforts :).

However, I don't think that it is a good idea to start a development where directory path information would begin to be scattered throughout the registry and needs to be maintained manually. Also your versions would need to become part of the official builds. Anayway, unless we cannot harmonize everything to correctly use the information as per the mediaportaldirs.xml, my personal view would be to keep things as they are now rather than promoting this possibility.

Actually, the symbolic link possibilities would be as good as the mediaportaldirs.xml, wouldn't they? So why actually bothering about mediaportaldirs when a simple batch script could do the job? Or am I missing something?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    @HTPCSourcer

Do you actually read my posts - e.g. from https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...d-in-standard-path.131632/page-2#post-1149459

These are also used by MP2 and can be used 'standalone' by other apps - that is why the log path situation isn't just an 'MP1' thing...

...that is why (if we want to move away from hard-wired log paths) the log path settings need to be independent of the MP1 and MP2 applications.

As far as Microsoft are concerned the Windows Registry *is* the correct place for this sort of information (that is why MS provides it - and all the software tools use it - to avoid apps scattering settings information around in various private files on the system - e.g. the .ini files that old versions of Windows used).

You are not looking at the big picture here....

The MP registry settings that exist at present are not "scattered throughout the registry" - they are all grouped together in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team MediaPortal and it's sub keys.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I think i understand what @HTPCSourcer think (or maybe not).
    What is needed now :) is to write the new path (from C# change MP config to registry).
    Like this when we change the default path in MP config, it auto write it in registry (with your mod of course).

I think this change can be done more easily now with your WIP change :)
    I remember using that C# code to registry for Cyberlink PowerDVD codec setting lol.

So to summarize, with your addon, the user set the path manually or with an addon on C# side, the part is auto writed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom