Reduce storage size of 'thumbs' folder (MovPic + TVSeries) (2 Viewers)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    i've been running this script regardless, but is it "not needed" with the current versions anymore?

No, this functionality has been build into MovingPictures now.

The only difference is that MovingPictures only looks at resolution to decide if a reduction is needed (you can adjust the conditions in the advanced settings), and this reduction script looks at filesize (it keeps shrinking the images till it is smaller then the thresholds defined within the script).

There are situations where you can have a 1920x1080 image that is several megabytes, perhaps saved at 100% quality factor. In those cases, MovingPictures would not do anything to the image, so this script still offers some benefits then. What I do myself is just manually run it once a month to 'clean' things up. The original reason for me to write this script was running out of free space, and that is no longer a risk with latest MovingPictures.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    No, the current version saves images as JPG which takes up a fraction of the space it used to.

Paglioni

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    Sorry for resuming this old post, but i'm using a 64gb ssd, for MP, and i've found that i was running out of space. I checked the FullSize folder and there was some jpg well over 350k. There were some over 1gb. One of blade runner was over 20gb...

is that normal?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Sorry for resuming this old post, but i'm using a 64gb ssd, for MP, and i've found that i was running out of space. I checked the FullSize folder and there was some jpg well over 350k. There were some over 1gb. One of blade runner was over 20gb...

is that normal?

That's the whole reason I wrote this batch file, because I run my HTPC on a 32GB partition (in preperation for SSD) and storage is important.

Some original covers can be huge in resolution, dpi or lossless compression which then results in sometimes extremly large filesizes. I hope for your sake you meant 1MB and 20MB, because GB's for images are reserved for very unique types. There are many images on imdb.com and themoviedb.org for covers that are indeed in the 1MB+ range.

MovingPictures however now has improved options to resize and recompress all the artwork it obtains, which can be configured via the advanced settings.

This batch file is still useful in correcting the existing artwork, without having to delete the artwork and re-obtaining it with the new MovPic settings you prefer.

PS: To put it in usage-scenario perspective, my "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\MovingPictures" folder holds 11,119 files in 6 folders and only occupies 1.09 GB in storage. In original usage it was growing fast over 10GB.

PPS: A bug has been fixed in MovingPictures regarding downloading of images from a source provider that would not allow images to be downloaded correct. The result was very large images, so keep this in mind as well as you might simply need to update your MovPic setup and manually correct the 'bad' files.

Paglioni

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    i didn't type it wrong, it was GB not MB. a total of 15 images were occupying 37GB of my 64GB SSD.
    but maybe was the MP bug because images were really low res, no more than 800x600

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    i didn't type it wrong, it was GB not MB. a total of 15 images were occupying 37GB of my 64GB SSD.
    but maybe was the MP bug because images were really low res, no more than 800x600

Guessing from your username, you might be using the default Italian mymovies.it scraper, which was reported first to experience this problem, as per:

http://code.google.com/p/moving-pictures/issues/detail?id=1073

This issue has been fixed, but you need to compile your own version of MovingPictures to get the fix right now, or be patient for the public release of v1.3.2+.

Another solution would be to use IMDb+ with Italian support (via imdb.it), as it is not affected by this image bug.

zpower

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Quick question...
    When i add new movie, automatically download 3 or more covers for the movie.
    I select what i want and delete the rest but the others covers dont disappear from thumbs database folder.
    This is a issue?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Quick question...
    I select what i want and delete the rest but the others covers dont disappear from thumbs database folder.
    This is a issue?

MovPic Config -> "About" tab -> "Advanced Settings" button -> "Movie Importer" (bold section at top) -> "Cover Art" (bold text) -> "Max Covers per Movie per Session" = default is '3', so change that to '1' then.

zpower

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Quick question...
    This is a issue?

MovPic Config -> "About" tab -> "Advanced Settings" button -> "Movie Importer" (bold section at top) -> "Cover Art" (bold text) -> "Max Covers per Movie per Session" = default is '3', so change that to '1' then.

I understand that, but the rest of the covers will be deleted from database thumbs folder?
    As you know, if i change value 3 for 1, sometimes we dont want that cover movpic downloaded, so i click the icon to obtain more covers.
    The problem is: dont be suppose after i delete the covers i dont want they deleted from thums too?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I understand that, but the rest of the covers will be deleted from database thumbs folder?

All artwork is retained 'forever'.

You could add an issue to the Google code website that would add an option to perhaps 'clean' up and delete any artwork not actually assigned to a movie in your database, but make sure to search the existing issues first, as somebody else might have already suggested that.

Keep in mind that such an issue might get low priority and take a while before developers get around to implement it. It also helps if you get other users to "star" your issue, because the developers prefer to fix issues that 80 users want fixed versus the ones that appear to only be wanted by 1 user.

But if you are lucky and issue is an easy fix/implementation, then it might get added in the near future.

Till then, you have a few workarounds you can use. And unless you are an SSD user, then normally the few GBs that the fanart folder uses is never a big problem. The script from this thread can fix the large image files on already imported movies, if you have a very large collection and it has become a problem (like it did for me before I wrote this script).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom