Refresh Rate Control Plugin (1 Viewer)

ThylakoiD

Portal Member
April 11, 2006
I have been playing with MediaPortal and HTPC for 8 months and one thing that I missed on computers generally was the ability to automatically adjust the refresh rate of the monitor according to the played video... so I gathered some knowledge of MP's sources and DirectShow and made this plugin. :)

First of all this plugin requires PowerStrip to be installed and running. (Support for other programs may be included later...)

Each time video strats playing, Refresh Rate Control will try to get its frame rate and then set best refresh rate from the list of refresh rates (set in plugin's configuration) to prevent "tearing" and get smooth video playback.

Configuration:
Monitor number is number of monitor that will be displaying the video (useful on multimonitor PCs)

Enable logging to file - if checked plugin will write logfile useful for debugging

Refresh Rate Control will snap to refresh rates set in the list of refresh rates.
This is the most important setting. Before adding new ref. rate to the list, you will be given a chance to test if monitor supports it; most monitors will support even more refresh rates than stated in Windows' Display dialog...
The best refresh rates for videos are:
for PAL (25fps): 50, 75, 100, 120, ... Hz;
for NTSC (29.9fps): 60, 90, 120, ... Hz;
for film (24fps): 48, 72, 96, ... Hz.

Here is the download link, copy the RefreshRateControl.dll to the Plugins/Process/ directory in MP's directory:

https://www.team-mediaportal.com/files/Download/Plugins/Video/RefreshRateControl

I hope you will find it useful...

ThylakoiD

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
definately interesting... I just hope it won't burn down our TVs... (maybe it's time to write a disclaimer?)

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    sounds cool. will it be usable on a CRT tv? as far as i know are the refresh rates capabilities of those very limited (-;

ThylakoiD

Portal Member
    April 11, 2006
    smnnekho said:
    sounds cool. will it be usable on a CRT tv? as far as i know are the refresh rates capabilities of those very limited (-;

This plugin is designed mainly for 'normal' PC monitors or HD TVs :(

I think that PAL TVs might :?: be able to go down from 50 Hz to 48 Hz(24fps film), but I don't know if PowerStrip is capable of changing refresh rate of the TV out.

But if there is a program that can change TVout ref. rate and can be controlled from other apps. or commandline, it could be added to this plugin

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    ThylakoiD,

Please have a look at this post. Would your utility be able (or could it be adapted) to switch Powerstrip display profiles?

ThylakoiD

Portal Member
    April 11, 2006
    AberDino said:
    Would your utility be able (or could it be adapted) to switch Powerstrip display profiles?

I tried to find if PS API can do it, but didn't find anything...

But i've got an idea that simulating key presses will do that and even more :)

It will take me some time (maybe weeks :( , i'm kinda busy), but i'll post some testing version as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom