Releasing MediaPortal 2 Alpha version (2 Viewers)

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Sob.... Vista not supported.... More money to Micro$oft...

Unfortunatelly for some of you, we use some technologies avaliable only on Windows 7...

one question though. how exactly does the server work? in my understanding, i install it on a pc where my media is stored, and then i can watch/listen to it from another pc. is that right? i installed server + client on my htpc, and then added one of my video folders on the client to shares. on my laptop i just installed the client and attached it to the server and now it shows me all the videos i just added on my htpc, but i cant play them back. is there more i have to do? make them available via windows file sharing?

and why is "Playlists" in all menus? even in the settings? ;P

thanks

You're right with your understanding. Server handles all media items paths plus metadatas. Usually it will be installed on the computer that contains the most medias or is powered on most of the time. You can add global shares to it, and access them from anywhere. Also, any local share added in any client will be imported in the server database, and if the client is started, the media contained in the client shares will also be avaliable from anywhere. You don't need any windows network shares.

If medias don't play in the laptop client, there's may be an error somewhere. Did you checked you have the proper codecs to play your medias on the laptop ? Do you have any error in the laptop client's logs or the server logs ?

So where is the requirements, it doesn't seem to want to let me install. It says that I need to update to a newer Service Pack. Is there a new service pack than 2? Just found it on the Wiki...Windows 7 only.

Take a look here : http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/MediaPortal_2_Alpha_Release, in the PreRequisite section please. You're talking about a new service pack ? Can you please tell us the exact message you get from the installer ?

Cheers.

Smeulf.

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You're right with your understanding. Server handles all media items paths plus metadatas. Usually it will be installed on the computer that contains the most medias or is powered on most of the time. You can add global shares to it, and access them from anywhere. Also, any local share added in any client will be imported in the server database, and if the client is started, the media contained in the client shares will also be avaliable from anywhere. You don't need any windows network shares.

If medias don't play in the laptop client, there's may be an error somewhere. Did you checked you have the proper codecs to play your medias on the laptop ? Do you have any error in the laptop client's logs or the server logs ?

Silly me, i looked in the logs, but must have missed it, it stated that it couldnt connect to the file on the port 51227. i added this port to windows firewall and now it works :). thanks

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I think we need away to start the server from within the client on singleseat set ups :whistle:

Hi,

Not sure I understand you very well. If you mean "we should run the server as a service", it's planned for future release.

If you mean "We don't need the server for single seat set up", then I disagree, because the server is the database and the way to share the media at the same time. If you drop the server, you drop the database.

If you means anything else, then... tell me ;)

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Silly me, i looked in the logs, but must have missed it, it stated that it couldnt connect to the file on the port 51227. i added this port to windows firewall and now it works :). thanks

Setup normally adds a Windows firewall rule to allow MP2-Client and Server to communicate on any port. I suppose you use an another firewall than the Windows one then. Ports are allocated dynamically, so you must allow the programs to have them working properly.

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Setup normally adds a Windows firewall rule to allow MP2-Client and Server to communicate on any port. I suppose you use an another firewall than the Windows one then. Porst are allocated dynamically, so you must allow the programs to have them working properly.

im not using any other firewall:(. mp2 added rules in windows firewall, yes, and they are active, but without the port it doesnt work. had to add the port for mpextended manually aswall, while it seems that anybody else didnt have to do that.

running windows 7 professional sp1 x64 on my htpc, without any big changes on the system.

Attachments

• mp2fw.png
      mp2fw.png
      88.1 KB

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    im not using any other firewall:(. mp2 added rules in windows firewall, yes, and they are active, but without the port it doesnt work. had to add the port for mpextended manually aswall, while it seems that anybody else didnt have to do that.

running windows 7 professional sp1 x64 on my htpc, without any big changes on the system.

Windows firewall is a strange beast... Let's wait if any other have the same problem, and if so we'll find a way to fix it ;) Thanks for the input.

Smeulf.

Quarter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2010
    Queenstown
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

Not sure I understand you very well. If you mean "we should run the server as a service", it's planned for future release.

If you mean "We don't need the server for single seat set up", then I disagree, because the server is the database and the way to share the media at the same time. If you drop the server, you drop the database.

If you means anything else, then... tell me ;)

This is what I mean "we should run the server as a service" (y)

s13m11t7

August 11, 2009
    Home Country
    So, using IRSS for the slim tv client - and MCE remote. Program up/down no workies when I want to change tv channels.... Is there a link to show what buttons 'should' do on remote and keyboard? Most seem to be inoperative.
    Other than that, a unix version of the server that runs on a Qnap nas would be VERY cool.... :) ( just wishful thinking )

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Damn you guys for releasing it when I'm out of town and only have a Windows 8 Laptop With me :p

Can't wait till I get back home to give it a try.

One thing:

With MP2 users can change the look and feel of MP2 on-the-fly. Each theme can support multiple color schemes and, in the future, on a by user basis.

The user-part will be located on the server correct? So that I can get the same options for each Client computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom