Releasing MediaPortal 2 Alpha version (2 Viewers)

fredflintstone

Portal Pro
November 30, 2004
hm, my Impression:

• GUI is fast, but not very easy to handle via remote and does not look pretty, but for a preview this is o.k.
  • Configurtion is not very easy to handle, the keybord keys does not work in any fields :-( I've must do often input my chars via the dialog
  • I would be happy to have a seperate config.exe and hide the config in mp2
  • After setting up all shares I missed some Videos and Music files :-( in Videos only 31 items are shown, but I have approx. 500 files in the folder.
  • The GUI is not very easy to handle via remote and does not look pretty, but for a preview this is o.k.
Last but not least, the GUI from the first preview (one or two years ago) had have a nicer look and feel.

fredflintstone

Portal Pro
November 30, 2004
...and it would be nice to have one config for all clients with the same settings, e.g. the video and audio filters that are defined on the server.

Systemshark

March 3, 2012
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
So can I ask why DX9 rather than DX11 if the supported OS is windows 7 ? It's a mixed message ? New OS , Old DirectX runtime

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There were some questions about an external configuration utility.
    MP2 provides a settings/configuration API which makes it possible that arbitrary configuration plugins or programs can access them. It is planned to have the settings accessible via the MP2 GUI (like it is implemented now), via an own configuration program and maybe via a web server. Other plugins are welcome.
    But the alternative configuration interfaces currently have a low priority at the moment because we'll first focus on important MediaCenter functions which are still missing.

About remote control handling: One of our next work tasks is to add sensible short keys for the remote to the screens. In the current Alpha version, most of the remote buttons are not yet associated with actions, so currently, you have to navigate via the arrow keys and use the buttons on the screen when keyboard actions are not assigned.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So can I ask why DX9 rather than DX11 if the supported OS is windows 7 ? It's a mixed message ? New OS , Old DirectX runtime
    Unfortunately, the choice of the DirectX/Direct3D version depends on many factors, especially in the video subsystem. In the newer Direct3D APIs, we have problems implementing our own video presenter. The presenter is necessary to integrate the video image with other controls in the video screens. That's the main reason but there are still other problems.
    But once we solve those problems, MP2 can simply migrate to a newer Direct3D version.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hm, my Impression:

• GUI is fast, but not very easy to handle via remote and does not look pretty, but for a preview this is o.k.
    • Configurtion is not very easy to handle, the keybord keys does not work in any fields :-( I've must do often input my chars via the dialog
    • I would be happy to have a seperate config.exe and hide the config in mp2
    • After setting up all shares I missed some Videos and Music files :-( in Videos only 31 items are shown, but I have approx. 500 files in the folder.
    • The GUI is not very easy to handle via remote and does not look pretty, but for a preview this is o.k.
    Last but not least, the GUI from the first preview (one or two years ago) had have a nicer look and feel.
    We know that user's taste on skins can be very different. That's why we already included 3 skins with x themes, so probably one of them you will like more: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/MediaPortal_2_Alpha_Release/1_Skin_and_Themes

You will find the option to change skin and theme described here http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/MediaPortal_2_Alpha_Release/00_Quick_Start_Guide

BlackBurn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Trying to run it in in Windows 8 CP (I know asking for problems :) ), I installed the Dokan library (that was the first error I got), but now the installer quits with no particulary reason given, is there any log created during the setup?

/edit:
    Found some logs, with the command MP2-Setup-Alpha-Release.msi /lv mp2_install_log.txt

rvmoerkerk

Portal Member
    February 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Installer would not stat on Windows Vista. Newer vesion required. Can some tell me what the specs are?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    MP2 needs Win7 (or above) to work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom