Releasing MediaPortal 2 Alpha version (1 Viewer)

Claus Jepsen

Portal Member
April 1, 2013
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi Mrj
I know the tread is old, but obvious still relevant. Looking at your link under "Unsupported OS" it states:
"Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012 (Windows Server operating systems do not include TV tuner support)"

Why no TV-tuner support on Windows Server 2012?
I tried to install SlimTV for Beta3, but tvsetup would not start - and I can't find any treads or help on this issue.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Unfortunately some parts of TVE35 ("SlimTv core") still have version checks in code, coming from MP1 days. This leads also to the issue that this build doesn't run on Win8.1. I already made modifications to the related code, but there is not updated release yet.

I think I can publish a new build without this (stupid) limitation when MP2 Alpha 4 will be released. Meanwhile I recommend the MPExtended way, if you like to use TV.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @morpheus_xx: I thought TV Server should run on Server 2012. I don't think we block install for server versions even though we did previously block w8.

Why no TV-tuner support on Windows Server 2012?
    You'll have to ask Microsoft. :)
    I guess they didn't think people would use tuner cards with servers.

I tried to install SlimTV for Beta3, but tvsetup would not start - and I can't find any treads or help on this issue.
    I suggest you post your logs if you want help.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @morpheus_xx: I thought TV Server should run on Server 2012. I don't think we block install for server versions even though we did previously block w8.
    Installation is not blocked here (no plugin installer for MP2 available yet), but the OsCheck class is a shared one between MP1 and TvServer, and the TVE35 master is only at MP1.4 level (still pending merge issues).

Claus Jepsen

Portal Member
    April 1, 2013
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    You'll have to ask Microsoft. :)
    I guess they didn't think people would use tuner cards with servers.

Windows 2012 have no problem supporting TV cards.
    What I am asking is: Why is it explicit stated that MP2 will not support TV-server under Windows Server 2003-2012? Actually MP 1.5 works fine under Windows Server 2013.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why is it explicit stated that MP2 will not support TV-server under Windows Server 2003-2012? Actually MP 1.5 works fine under Windows Server 2013.
    Maybe there is a misunderstanding. What are you exactly referring to? Wiki? Release notes?

Claus Jepsen

Portal Member
    April 1, 2013
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Why is it explicit stated that MP2 will not support TV-server under Windows Server 2003-2012? Actually MP 1.5 works fine under Windows Server 2013.
    Maybe there is a misunderstanding. What are you exactly referring to? Wiki? Release notes?

Hi morpheus_xx, in the link you provided - https://www.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal/requirements - click the menu-item "Unsupported OS" and have a look at the second line in the paragraph named: "MP will issue a warning, but will install on:" .. it says: "Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012 (Windows Server operating systems do not include TV tuner support)".

What do you mean when writing: "Windows Server operating systems do not include TV tuner support"?
    MP 1 works fine under Windows Server 2003 and my Windows Server 2012 Essensials detects my Happauge Nova-T stick correctly.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, I see. The pages you are referring to apply only for MP1, not for MP2 at all. But I found the link from download points to this section, which is wrong.

Unfortunately the content about MP2 on homepage and wiki is not on the same level as for MP1 yet. Same is valid for "TVE35", which will be the successor of MP1-TvServer (it can run as SlimTV core in MP2-Server)

If you like to read more about requirements, also check our wiki http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/1_Getting_Started/2_Installing_MediaPortal_2.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What do you mean when writing: "Windows Server operating systems do not include TV tuner support"?
    It means Windows Server operating systems usually don't include BDA (broadcast driver architecture) driver support. AFAIK Server 2012 with essentials is the first version to include BDA support... and even then, there has been some confusion about whether it is included with all releases or not. Of course there are packages that allow you to install tuner support into Server versions of Windows. We're not saying that is not possible; we're just saying that we don't commit to provide support [for MediaPortal 1.x] if you decide to do that.

MP 1 works fine under Windows Server 2003 and my Windows Server 2012 Essensials detects my Happauge Nova-T stick correctly.
    If you choose to use Server versions of Windows then that's fine. Its your choice. As above: we don't commit to provide support. That is a team decision.

Claus Jepsen

Portal Member
    April 1, 2013
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    It means Windows Server operating systems usually don't include BDA (broadcast driver architecture) driver support. AFAIK Server 2012 with essentials is the first version to include BDA support... and even then, there has been some confusion about whether it is included with all releases or not. Of course there are packages that allow you to install tuner support into Server versions of Windows. We're not saying that is not possible; we're just saying that we don't commit to provide support [for MediaPortal 1.x] if you decide to do that.

If you choose to use Server versions of Windows then that's fine. Its your choice. As above: we don't commit to provide support. That is a team decision.

Thank you both for your quick response. I am aware of the BDA driver and the fact that your support commitments. I was just afraid that you actively had choosen a path that would make it absolutely impossible for me to get success on Windows 2012 server. I'll give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom