Request ::: Multi level basic home (1 Viewer)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hey all,

Since I now have dozens of plugins installed I kinda want an easy way to access all those and I would find it really cool if I could get there directly from basichome.
I know I could just add more items to basichome but I don't want to compromise simplicity. So what I would find really cool is a multi level menu like the myhome kinda has (press right to access hidden menu, kinda like maya does it or xfactor for that mather).
This is just a request and it might be a lot of work to get to go in basichome so I understand if this thing will never be implemented.

I know that in the mod section of this forum someone already did exactly that but that's;
a) a pretty old version now
b) hard to implement myself

I would do it myself if I understood the workings of basichome xml a little better. If I did it myself I also had to copy changes between streamedmp releases so the ideal would be incorporation in the editor.

Just a request and I would be really happy if the streamedmp dev's could grant my request!

---UPDATE---
First steps can be found forward from this post

Shangostar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Somerset
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You may already know this or it may not be what you are looking for but you can add 'My Plugins' to the basic home screen and then go to MP config and right click on the plugins you want and choose to have them appear in 'Home' or 'Plugins'

If you select 'Plugins' you can have the extra plugins menu on basic home under which all your plugins will appear.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    an extra menu .dll option for windows/plugins would probably be better and easier than integrating an additional menu into the basic home, i think maybe monochrome had this kinda setup, so you would just need an extra .dll / .xml created for that submenu, then could add the extra menu to the basic home using editor.

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    kiwijunglist:

Not what I was looking for but yeah for some that might work.
    I already have access to all plugins in 2 ways; my home -> my plugins and I have integrated a submenu into the settings_general skin file where I list all not so essential plugins but I still use them.
    So I can access them fine, it however is a) not practical (too many clicks and moves) and b) not intuitive enough. I would like it much better with the hidden submenu but I guess I'm the only one so I might try doing this myself when I have some spare time (maybe in a month :))

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I've been spinning my head around the same problem; I'd like to be able to access about 20 screens/plugins via BHS, but without making it cluttered.

I believe an introduction of "tabs" might be a solution to it. I'll see if I can create a mockup to show an example (I've started creating some BHS for it, but never found time to finnish)

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've been spinning my head around the same problem; I'd like to be able to access about 20 screens/plugins via BHS, but without making it cluttered.

I believe an introduction of "tabs" might be a solution to it. I'll see if I can create a mockup to show an example (I've started creating some BHS for it, but never found time to finnish)

Please do and I am happy to help out. I have some pretty decent PS skills (though I do not think of my self as a good designer) and skinning I can help out with also.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Similar to "tabs" is just grouping. The neatest way I think I've seen it done is like this:
    basichome_vertical.jpg

(from xFactor)

joz

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I agree, I do like the whole x-factor concept, however my personal preference overall is streamedmp for sure.
    It's a taste thing I guess.
    Might think about borrowing some xml code of x-factor skin. I do like the basichome, I can't stand the yellow/gold that is used throughout this skin, I guess that's my biggest issue with it...

vinch100

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    You should have a look at the Maya skin,it may be what you need..

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The one thing I don't like about Maya is actually the BHS.

Anyway, here is a mockup of my idea. Hopefully it is quite self explaining, but just in case: left/right changes tab (group) w/the listed plugins/screens assigned to the group.

bhsidea.png

Here, the highlighted goup ("movies"-icon) is listed, and the plugin OnlineVideos is selected ([OK] would enter online videos)

Due to lack of icons, same has been used for what should represent different groups. Typically a group would be a type of category, like movies/videos, music/radio, miscellaneous - whatever the icon represents for the user).

Box is about 16:9 and 1/3 of pixels (Bottom is empty RSS).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom