[Help Us!] RTSP streaming library update (2 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello everybody

Introduction

Over the past couple of months we've been working hard to update the RTSP streaming library (LIVE555) used by various MediaPortal and TV Server components:
    • TsReader - MPEG 2 TS (transport stream) demultiplexer, used by MediaPortal to enable viewing and time-shifting of live TV and recordings
    • Streaming Server - used by TV Server to stream live TV and recordings to remote MediaPortal clients and non-MediaPortal clients (eg. KODI/XBMC)
    • MPFileWriter - used by TV Server to implement time-shifting and recording for analog TV and FM radio
    • IPTV RTSP library - used by TV Server's IPTV filter to receive RTSP streams (eg. certain IPTV and CC camera streams, CableCARD tuner streams)
    The last update of this library was performed more than six years ago (!!!). As you might expect, there have been many many changes in the library (and MediaPortal) since that time. Therefore we need this update to be very thoroughly tested before it can be included in an official release. We would appreciate it if you could help us with this testing. :)

Purpose

The purpose of this update is to improve the performance and stability of the above components. For example:
    • improve speed of live TV start and channel changing on remote MediaPortal clients
    • improve speed of seeking for live TV and recordings on remote MediaPortal clients
    • fix an IPTV RTSP issue that caused TV Server crashes (example -->here<--)

Who Should Test

Mostly we need people who:
    • have one or more client-only MediaPortal installations
    • use one or more CableCARD tuners with TV Server
    • use TV Server to receive RTSP IPTV or CC camera streams
    • use one or more analog tuners with TV Server
    • use KODI or other software to receive streams from TV Server
    (...but of course anybody is welcome to test! :) )

What Should Be Tested

All functions related to viewing live and recorded TV need to be tested. For example:
    • viewing live TV and/or performing recordings
      • RTSP IPTV provider
      • RTSP CC camera
      • CableCARD tuner
      • analog TV tuner
      • FM radio tuner
    • live TV and recordings with a client-only MediaPortal installation and/or non-MediaPortal client (eg. KODI)
      • viewing
      • pausing
      • resuming
      • skipping (seeking) forward
      • skipping (seeking) backwards
      • fast forwarding
      • rewinding

Requirements

You can install some or all parts of the update depending on your preference/configuration.

TsReader - requires MediaPortal 1.11 or newer.
    Streaming Server - requires TV Server 1.1.0 or newer
    MPFileWriter - requires TV Server 1.2.0 or newer
    IPTV RTSP library - requires TV Server 1.5 PR or newer

How To Install

To install the TsReader update:
    1. Close MediaPortal.
    2. Download the attached zip file.
    3. Open Windows Explorer.
    4. Navigate to the MediaPortal installation folder (default c:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal).
    5. Take a backup copy of TsReader.ax.
    6. Replace TsReader.ax with the version from the zip file.

To install the Streaming Server, MPFileWriter and/or IPTV RTSP library updates:
    1. Close MediaPortal.
    2. Open TV Server Configuration.
    3. Navigate to the "manual control" section.
    4. Click "stop service".
    5. Download the attached zip file.
    6. Navigate to the TV Server installation folder (default c:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server).
    7. Take a backup copy of StreamingServer.dll, MPFileWriter.ax and/or MPIPTV_RTSP.dll.
    8. Replace StreamingServer.dll, MPFileWriter.ax and/or MPIPTV_RTSP.dll with the version from the zip file.
    9. In TV Server Configuration click "start service".

Reporting Results

The team have already done approximately 2 months of testing to ensure that the update does not have any obvious problems. However, we would still like to hear both positive and negative test results.

For positive test results please ensure your forum profile system specifications are filled in and up to date, and provide a short description of what you tested.

For negative test results please ensure your forum profile system specifications are filled in and up to date, and provide the following information:
    1. A short description of the problem.
    2. If possible, instructions to reproduce the problem; otherwise, a full description of how the problem occurred including date, time and channel (or recording) name.
    3. Screenshots and/or pictures if applicable.
    4. Full/all log files from MediaPortal and TV Server. Please use the Watchdog tool to collect your log files wherever possible. Use option 1 or 2 for MediaPortal reproducible problems; otherwise use option 3 to collect MediaPortal and/or TV Server log files after the problem has occurred.
    Please provide all of this information. It is probably impossible to help without it.

Thank You
    in advance for your help! :)

P.S. For people who are interested in code, the GIT branch for this update is -->here<--.

Attachments

• MediaPortal RTSP library update v1.zip
      389.8 KB
    Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for this upgrade (and amazing work on this), in overall, all seems to work nicely except one thing but i will post full log. For me the issue is playing recorded tv from the server that was not working but i will do step by step and give you the way to reproduce it :)
    Thanks again :p

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    The issue happen before you last commit, so going to do a full upgrade and retry :)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Here we go for some logs :)
    Sometimes it works and sometimes not, log attached is 2 consecutive test :
    I will retry recordedTV from start to see if it always works.

Attachments

• RecordedTV_not_working_on_resume.zip
      11.1 KB
    • RecordedTV_working_on_resume.zip
      13.2 KB

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi
    installed on my dedicated window (32) 7 server and on one dedicated windows (32) 10 client. The client won,t start Live TV (error Mediaportal stopped working).
    Replaced the new TsReader.ax with the original one on the client, now its back working

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    The above test was with TsReader WIP from @Owlsroost with your merged branch, i just try again with your only bin and seems to work (but i needed to turned off subtitle that i didn't test with WIP branch).
    So it seems to work :) the video didn't appear/start directly needed a few sec to have it working.

Attachments

• RecordedTV_working_on_resume_Original_TsReader_Live555.rar
      10.4 KB

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi
    installed on my dedicated window (32) 7 server and on one dedicated windows (32) 10 client. The client won,t start Live TV (error Mediaportal stopped working).
    Replaced the new TsReader.ax with the original one on the client, now its back working

Could you retry and do watchdog and collect log to post here ?
    It will give some answer about the crash :)
    Thanks.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Ok disabling the subtitle make it work also with WIP TsReader (@Owlsroost + Live555 @mm1352000). :)
    So something seems happen/trigger with subtitle pin :p (but i'm not 100% sure lol)

lodale

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi
    Here are the logs from the client

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @lodale
    Thanks for your interest and for testing. :)
    Please read the first post carefully:
    Requirements
    TsReader - requires MediaPortal 1.11 or newer.

Your log files show that you are using MP 1.8. That version of MediaPortal is not compatible with the updated TsReader.

@Sebastiii
    I'll look at your log files now but I may not be able to help if you're including Owlsroost WIP stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom