SAA7130 analog card doesnt work with MP (1 Viewer)

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The HVR-900, HVR-1300 are working in my Setup for analog sources, but I must admit that I mainly use the external video inputs.
    For developing I also use a Creatix CTX-948 which has SAA7131 chip ;)

Only the HVR-1300 is a hardware encoding card. The two others are software encoding and infinite.loop already mentioned they can give you some headache. The reason is that some cards are only working reliable with a specific encoder, but TvServer supports only a hard-coded list of Software encoders.

In the end it all depends on the drivers and the encoder. But since the list of supported software encoders is fix, cards with a hardware encoder will make less trouble. I won't recommend a specific brand or card, as for analog cards it currently is really depending on the drivers. I hope that the analog Tv part will be more flexible for MP2, so that it won't be that complicated for the users.

It depends on the size of CPU requirement. Also it can be required for the playback, if the manufacture expects a video card without hw-decoding capabilities etc.
    That you get an mpeg-file indicates only that the uses an MPEG-2 encoding for the recording. But as you already stated the COU level doesn't increase and software encoding requires much CPU power, so you can make the assumption that it must be a hardware encoder. The .ax files are DirectShow filters, which can be used by the software or any other software if they a registered in Windows. AFAIK the mentioned software is also for software encoding cards and that could explain why you find an encoding filter there.

But I just got another idea: Does your tv card has a direct connection to your sound card? I mean: Do you have a line out at the tv card which is than connected to line in of your sound card?
    If this is the case, than I can tell you that such cards are NOT supported by TvServer. :sorry:

MisterD

bendtsen

Portal Member
    May 31, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok I give up. The card is connected audio out to line in of sound card. For curiosity, why is that an unsupported config? What is the technical limitation of TV Server in that case? Fantastic that it took us three months to get that straight. ;)

The load does increase from nearly idle, ie zero percent, to about seven or eight so maybe it is software encoding after all. The requirement is modest compared to the number crunching power I have.

Arrevidaci analog card. I will bury it and use only the few DVB channels I have on this system with my perfectly working Technotrend Budget C-1501.

Thanks for the help.

misterd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry that I forgot this limitation of TvServer. I thought up to now that it only some very old Hauppauge analog tv card (WinTV) had those connections.
    The reason for this limitation is that when the analog support for analog card was added this variant was skipped.
    Unfortunately the graph building for this variant is completly different and requires more option in the Setup as well.
    Also some sound cards don't allow the usage of their source filter in multiple graphs. But the design of TvServer is that the graph is always built after the first tune until the service is stopped. So we would lock the sound card too much.
    Since the amount of such tv cards is quite small we never implemented it as it requires quite much coding effort from our side to code this variant. But you never know if perhaps someday someone codes a patch for TvServer that adds support for such cards to it.

MisterD

pctvfan

December 7, 2010
    Home Country
    India India
    Sorry to bump the month old topic. Just saw this amazing community and after hours of trial and errors came to this thread to know about the limitation of MediaPortal to support analog tv cards with audio line out. A lot of low end TV Tuner cards are sold in India with many manufacturers like Intex, Techcom, etc; even today with the same chipset and Windows Media Center also does not support this card. WinDVR 2/3 which was earlier bundled with the card is now discontinued. Hones Tech TVR 2.0 also seems to be discontinued and classified under legacy products now but both WinDVR3 and Hones Tech TVR 2.0 are working. Windows Media Encoder seems to be working to stream Live TV from this card but the problem comes with changing channels. Remote Desktop has limited Multimedia support even with Windows 7 SP1 RC which is supposed to have much awaited RemoteFX. So watching TV over RemoteDeskop on WinDVR does not work for now. But I can see video on RD on TVR 2.0 and also Windows Media Encoder preview. ChrisTV Professional worked for a few minutes and on next restart it threw some error "Access to an invalid memory access location denied" or something similar which on their forum was linked to Directx9.0c reinstall but others apps were good.

XMBC does not work with this as well.

I wish to help in getting this working with MediaPortal. I would continue to check Wiki to learn more about MediaPortal and can provide with logs and do all the testing required by the development team to have this working.

Just wanted to add the following resources just in case, any development is possible to support this card in future.

Block Diagrams of the chipset SAA7130:

mhc169.gif
    mhc170.gif

Source :

Code:
    http://www.nxp.com/#/pip/pip=[pip=SAA7130HL,jp=Applications]|pp=[t=pip,i=SAA7130HL]

A lot more information on the chipset and decoders used in similar cards is at
    Code:
    http://www.nxp.com/#/homepage/cb=[t=p,p=/71138/50823/55463]|pp=[t=pfp,i=55463]

Now that we have the block diagrams of the chipset and know more about the card, can we work towards having cards with this chipset supported by MediaPortal ?

Some logs from my error. Error is same as OP. So possibly logs could be same as well. But just attaching them in case it might help. I am using Media Portal v1.1.2.0 and Win7

Special :D to misterd in advance.

EDIT: Does https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...l-most-software-encoder-based-tv-cards-90355/ help this chipset in anyway ?

EDIT2: Tested and Confirmed SAA713x Chipset will be using Hardware encoding and provides output to line out :( and we will not be able to use Software Encoder.

EDIT3: The card looks like below.

M501-1202-main3.jpg

EDIT4: Found this card to be working perfectly and even able to stream over LAN using SageTV (Mods, I hope you don't consider this as SPAM or against MP. I really hope MP Dev Team looks into this).

Attachments

• log0.zip
      76.8 KB
    • log1.zip
      77.2 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom