Codecs SAF v5.02 *final* (based on FFDShow DXVA decoder) (3 Viewers)

luckyaua

Portal Member
August 5, 2008
Re: SAF v5.00 experimental (based on FFDShow DXVA decoder)

Why?

A PC or HTPC is the same...the problem is that a codec pack like this (saf) shouldn't uninstall other codec arbitrarily.
If Mediaportal have a GUI to select which codec use for each type a stream...why should the adobe codec is uninstalled?

I think that the all codec can coexist safely, you agree?

...excuse me for poor english i'm italian!!?!

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic

I think that the all codec can coexist safely, you agree?

Yes, they should.
But sometime this can produce unwanted effect, like decoder with highter merit is used instead prefered one, etc.

luckyaua

Portal Member
August 5, 2008

So...is correct,
but i think that if each application have a panel to select the codecs like MP and at the same time if other application (like adobe) wants to use its own codec and however no arbitrarily unistall is done by other software all is ok..no?

Than... i think that merits isn't a good idea to manage codecs (naturally is pure philosophy)!!

For example i think that a codec like ffdshow must have a parametrical approach (application profile)
...so near the combo-box of MP, where i can select codec, is useful to have a button to open ffdshow config panel and after change all interested options i can save the configuration only for MP without change other apps profile for ffdshow codec...

the issue is that i must have the possibility to install tons of codecs but at the same time i must be able to select which and how codecs i want to use for my applications and only for it.

Otherwise is right the approach of application like vlc that use its own ddl (not the system filter and merits) with problem of redundance of files and stop.

sukceso

Portal Pro
November 6, 2008
Herrenberg
Home Country
Germany Germany
Re: PowerDVD10 and SAF v5.00

I would like to use PowerDVD 10 Ultra for Blu-ray and SAF 5.00 for everthing else within MediaPortal.

• Does anybody have this combination running (I have Windows 7 64-Bit)?
  • Does installing SAF 5.00 after PowerDVD is installed influence PowerDVD?
  • Does uninstalling SAF 5.00 leave PowerDVD working correctly?

Thank you very much for providing SAF, works perfectly for me...

manstretch

May 12, 2010

I've installed SAF 5.00 and have been able to get DXVA working with MKV files, but not with Blu-ray iso or m2ts files. How do I get MPC-HC to use ffdshow DXVA instead of WMVideo Decoder DMO?

Attachments

• nodxva.jpg
    nodxva.jpg
    151.3 KB

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic

I've installed SAF 5.00 and have been able to get DXVA working with MKV files, but not with Blu-ray iso or m2ts files. How do I get MPC-HC to use ffdshow DXVA instead of WMVideo Decoder DMO?

You can't if source video is VC-1i (interlaced).

gregpeters

Portal Pro
August 7, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Stuttering playback with DVDs

Dear all,

First of all: many thanks hoborg for all the effort you put in! You've done a great job and SAF is a significant step forward. With that being said, I've one small problem though.

I'm running the following system:
  • saf500svn100512
  • MediaPortalSetup_1.1.0_RC-2_rev25546
  • Windows XP SP3

I don't have any other codecs or player installed on my system.

Problem:
There is a strong, noticeable stuttering effect in MediaPortal when playing back DVDs. All other videos on my HDD and TV are playing just fine in MediaPortal. With other words, the problem exists only when playing DVDs.
There is no stuttering effect when playing the very same DVD in MediaPlayer Classic.

Please find attached the graph of MediaPortal....
attachment.php

..and MediaPlayerClassic.
attachment.php

Please find also attached the log files of the SAF installation.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Greg

Attachments

• DVD_MP.JPG
    DVD_MP.JPG
    89.6 KB
  • DVD_MPC.JPG
    DVD_MPC.JPG
    72.4 KB

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country

the issue is that i must have the possibility to install tons of codecs but at the same time i must be able to select which and how codecs i want to use for my applications and only for it.

This issue is, if you do install tons of codecs, you will almost certainly end up with conflicts and video problems. The theory is nice that it should all just work, but the practice is, the fewer codecs you have in your system, the better it will perform. That's what SAF is all about, and that's why I say its not a good idea to run a video editing suite on the same machine as your HTPC, because video editing does install several codecs, mainly for the purpose of encoding all the different production targets that you need in a NLE. By all means, if you have only one machine, try it. Just don't be surprised if you wind up in "codec hell". Again, in theory, SAF shouldn't mess with main concept codecs that Premier would install, but that's the theory ;)

BTW, I do successfully run Sony Vegas together with SAF and MP together on a test machine (not production). I used to use Premier myself years ago - it was a pig of an application back then.

gregpeters

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: SAF v5.00 experimental (based on FFDShow DXVA decoder)

@ hoborg:
    I've changed the renderer but with no effect.

However, I've tried also to manually change the refresh rate of the htpc to 50 hz to meet the refresh rate of the DVD (PAL). And, as you mention here, it worked: the stuttering is gone :D

I'm still astonished that this worked: why does the same DVD play without stuttering in MediaPLayer Classic on the very same machine?
    Why don't the other PAL videos (TV-recordings, etc.) don't stutter when played from the HDD?

Anyhow, thanks hoborg,

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom