Codecs SAF v6 (based on LAVF) (2 Viewers)

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    does this version of SAF (with LAV audio fiters) playback TrueHD onto an amp without TrueHD support?
    i have a 5.1 DTS amp and i can get the DTS core out of DTSHD working perfect!
    just TrueHD i dont... i get 2channel audio at best

any ideas? settings?

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    As far as I'm aware True HD doesn't have a plain soundtrack embedded into it like DTS, hence why BD discs from people like Warner Bros. always default to the normal Dolby Digital soundtrack rather than the True HD.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I am sure this has been discussed before...but 205 pages is a lot to trawl through (and search is a bit hit and miss).....

Basically I have my HTPC connected via HDMI to my AV receiver (which supports HD too), then via HDMI to my TV.

I am running Windows 7 with SAF 6.08.

My setup works fine for DTS, Dolby Prologic, etc.

Basically my question/problem is around multichannel AAC audio - If I turn off Prologic II on my receiver (ie so it doesnt convert stereo to multichannel), then it only plays PCM stereo from 5.1 AAC movies. If I check my AMD HDMI device (default direct sound device) it is configured for Stereo only - so this makes sense, in that it only outputs stereo over HDMI. I have checked with Graphstudio and the input to the device is 6 channel.

So, if I change the AMD HDMI device to be 5.1 or 7.1, then my AV receiver detects 5.1 PCM for multichannel AAC - so it appears this works, but when I play stereo AAC, my receiver also detects this as multichannel - So I assume the AMD HDI device is upscaling the stereo to multichannel - I want my AV receiver to do this upscaling (surely it does a better good than the HTPC AMD HDMI device?)

So basically I am trying to get AAC as is (stereo or multichannel) to my AV receiver - so stereo stays as stereo, and multichannel is sent as multichannel.

J.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    So basically I am trying to get AAC as is (stereo or multichannel) to my AV receiver - so stereo stays as stereo, and multichannel is sent as multichannel.

I installed ReClock and had it re-encode everything to AC3. Just remember to set your selected audio codec (LAV or FFDShow) to passthrough Dolby Digital and DTS, or it might be re-encoded as well.

Emph

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I use a mixture of LAV and ffdshow (I need profiles in ffdshow audio for volume control).

On the AMD HDMI device/renderer, do you have the speaker config as stereo or 5.1/7.1?

I thought you could do AC3 encode with ffdshow (so why use reclock - unless A/V sync)?

Can someone kindly post your ffdshow and LAV settings to get AAC to work correctly as stereo and multichannel (such that the HTPC outputs as stereo when the source is stereo, and multichannel when the source is 5.1/7.1)

Thanks,

J.

fnokke

Portal Member
    February 26, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,​
    Thanks for all the great work Hoborg! I finally managed to get SAF back in business again. It seems to me that it can be buggy to install SAF when Online videos plugin is installed as this also installs LAV filters in a different path. Would it be possible to make SAF install through the MediaPortal extension handling tool as well?​
    Now I have two new questions. First this mp4: I can not get it to play well in MPC-HC (with ffdshow + lav audio), but it plays fine in Win Mediaplayer ... As I have quite a few of these (from my SANYO cam), I would love to be able to use the normal Video codec settings in MePo ... Any suggestions?​
    Secondly I wonder about Bluray playback. My CPU goes up to 100% and as expected this brings stutter and occasional loss of sound when playing blurays ... I thought that my GeForce 7600GS has hardware decoding and that it would not load too much on my CPU (which is a 6 yr old 3 GHz dual-core)?​
    Thanks again for great work!!​

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I think I have my head around this now (just havent proved my theory) ;)

If I am using LAV, then I need ffdshow as a post process. I configure ffdshow to passthru everything I dont want to touch (DTS, DD, DTS HD, etc), I configure it to only AC3 encode 5.1 streams, this will leave the 2.0 channels as PCM.

Or I can simply change from using LAV audio to ffdshow audio (so I wont need it as a post process).

I assume there is nothing in LAV audio to configure it to AC3 encode AAC 5.1 streams?

J.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I assume there is nothing in LAV audio to configure it to AC3 encode AAC 5.1 streams?

ReClock as well as MediaPortal audio renderer can do this. I haven't tried MediaPortal audio renderer yet though.
    Emph

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hi,​
    Thanks for all the great work Hoborg! I finally managed to get SAF back in business again. It seems to me that it can be buggy to install SAF when Online videos plugin is installed as this also installs LAV filters in a different path. Would it be possible to make SAF install through the MediaPortal extension handling tool as well?​
    Now I have two new questions. First this mp4: I can not get it to play well in MPC-HC (with ffdshow + lav audio), but it plays fine in Win Mediaplayer ... As I have quite a few of these (from my SANYO cam), I would love to be able to use the normal Video codec settings in MePo ... Any suggestions?​
    Secondly I wonder about Bluray playback. My CPU goes up to 100% and as expected this brings stutter and occasional loss of sound when playing blurays ... I thought that my GeForce 7600GS has hardware decoding and that it would not load too much on my CPU (which is a 6 yr old 3 GHz dual-core)?​
    Thanks again for great work!!​
    Hi.
    No, SAF cannot be instelled over MP extensions.
    Your MP4 file is FullHD 60fps interlaced clip. I can play it here without any problem by SAF default in MPC-HC/Graphstudio - FFDShow DVXVA decoder is in use.
    I think source of your problems is in your old GPU (6 generations now?) - even the cheapest Radeon 6450 (64bit) is much faster and have full HW acceleration.
    Or buy SandyBridge (Ivy bridge) CPU with Intel HD 2/3000(4000) GPU and you can use QuickSync decoder do decode video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom