Codecs SAF v6 (based on LAVF) (1 Viewer)

ced007

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Haute-Savoie
Home Country
France France
Hi all.
Here is SAF 6.1.2 test version,
Unlocked version will install latest PDVD12 decoder (1.0.9700.3709).
I didn't notice any diference, but please try and report.
Hi Hoborg,
Except PDVD12 new version, is there any other changes in this test version?
Just to know before testing it.
Thanks.

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Hi all.
Here is SAF 6.1.2 test version,
Unlocked version will install latest PDVD12 decoder (1.0.9700.3709).
I didn't notice any diference, but please try and report.
Hi Hoborg,
Except PDVD12 new version, is there any other changes in this test version?
Just to know before testing it.
Thanks.
Hi,
Latest FFDshow too.

JoyriderZZ

Portal Member
February 17, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi Hoborg,

I have an issue i hope you can help me with:
I use SAF 6.1.1 and videos (MKVs mostly) in MediaPortal are too dark (little detail in the blacks).
I didnt notice this with my old tv with grey-ish blacks, but my new TV shows much better blacks and i was missing details.
Therefore I am now digging a bit deeper in the settings to get an ideal picture.

Setup:
PC connected to TV via HDMI
ATI HD3200 pixel settings to RGB 4:4:4 (limited RGB, so 16-235)
Settings for H264 in MePo are set to ffdshow DXVA decoder
ffdshow input set to Auto, 0-255 or 16-235 doesnt make much difference
ffdshow output set to PC levels (0-255)= even darker or TV levels (16-235)

I have found the solution in MPC-HC but not in MediaPortal:
In MPC-HC there is an option Render Settings > Output Range with the options 0-255 (too dark) and 16-235 (perfect!).
I tested this with a Digital Video Essentials Blu-Ray test disc.
Graph.jpg

Do you know (or does anybody else know) how I can do this in MediaPortal as well?

Furthermore I see there are no RGB input or output settings in the ffdshow DXVA settings, but I assume the settings from the normal ffdshow are applied to DXVA as well?

ced007

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Haute-Savoie
Home Country
France France
Hi JoyriderZZ,
If your are in limited RGB in your ATI, output of ffdshow should be in TV levels. So your settings are correct.
Can you put your ATI driver in full rgb? If yes, try this with output of ffdshow at PC levels.
Also how do you know that the colors are correct or not? What is your referral?

JoyriderZZ

Portal Member
February 17, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi JoyriderZZ,
If your are in limited RGB in your ATI, output of ffdshow should be in TV levels. So your settings are correct.
Can you put your ATI driver in full rgb? If yes, try this with output of ffdshow at PC levels.
Also how do you know that the colors are correct or not? What is your referral?

Thanks for the help. I used a test Blu-Ray (http://www.videoessentials.com/) to calibrate my TV and then I found out my PC doesnt show the so called BTB (blacker than black). And i´m also missing details in the darker parts of video´s.

I alsoy tried the full RGB setting in both ATI drivers (12.3) and in ffdshow but then the picture is more black than with the limited RGB settings and does not show the BTBs in the testpatterns on the Blu-Ray.

The picture is not bad, but it seems that im missing info in the darker parts of videos and I want it to be perfect.

I´m now trying the levels wizard software from http://www.upsilonsoftware.com/ but that gives an error so no solution yet. Any help is welcome :)

ced007

Portal Pro
July 7, 2008
Haute-Savoie
Home Country
France France
Hi JoyriderZZ,
I have an ATI card too, I use a DVI connection (not HDMI put it should not change anything), I'm in FULL RGB, I checked my settings in ffdshow video Output and I have:
ffdshow_output_evr.png

And
ffdshow19.png

Also, in my TV configuration menu, I have choose full RGB for the DVI input.

I don't use ffdshow DXVA but ffdshow Video because I can then use intersting filters to improve pictures and my CPU can handle it (Q9650).
If your CPU is not too old, you can test my ffdshow profiles described here:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/saf-and-ffdshow-video-profiles.108774/

JoyriderZZ

Portal Member
February 17, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Thanks Ced007, I ll take a look at your settings and the tutorial you used. In your first screenshot I have almost everything ticked, so maybe that is part of the solution as well!

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm setting up an HTPC for my brother, which will be connected to his CRT TV by SCART RGB. It uses HD3300 onboard graphics, which even with it connected to my TV via DVI doesn't offer any RGB/Dynamic Range settings in CCC, so that's one less setting I have to worry about I guess ;)

I'm rather confused by what I should set LAV or ffdshow to. I've set it up with LAV as that seems to be recommended these days over ffdshow, but if the latter's better I can use that instead. I used PDVD12 codec for TV, which works well and for DVD I think I have to use the MS-DTV codecs as it seems they're the only ones that menus, etc work properly with (I might use Total Media Theatre instead but then I probably won't have the control I need over audio that I need and get with ffdshow audio). This is what I've got at the moment and I guess the main thing I'm confused about is whether only RGB32 should be ticked like in ced007's picture or if the others serve any useful purpose or might cause problems if not ticked, so if anyone could advise on the settings that would much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom