Samusung LCD TV with VGA, DVI or HDMI? (1 Viewer)

evgeninikolo

Portal Member
March 9, 2007
Germany
Home Country
Bulgaria Bulgaria
Hi,

I would like to hear your oppinion about these three possibilities. But please, replay only if you have practical experience, not the theory. I intend to use the videocontroller on the mother board and only go for DVI/HDMI if there is a significant dieference in comparison to VGA.

What videocard would you suggest to buy? Should it be with DVI or with HDMI interface (the TV has component (analogue), VGA and HDMI interfaces).

Tia

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    From experience helping people out I will generally advice to stear away from Samsung for any PC use.

-k

(1) Which manufacturer do you recommend?

(2) Why don't you recommend Samsung for PC use?

Marco9000

Portal Member
    August 1, 2005
    I've got a Samsung TV (LE-32R41B)connected to my HTPC.

I use a ATi Radeon 9600 Pro for the connection and I am using the VGA port on the TV.

This is because I can get pixel perfect mapping this way (1360x768, I believe 6 pixels disappear in width this way), using the hdmi-port is annoying because of the amount of overscan the TV has.
    The picture is "better" due to all filters but if you want to be able control the output (brightness, gamma and such) you need to use the VGA with a mode that eliminated the dnie filter.

I think this results in the best picture (but you still need to use 60Hz) but still not optimized for PAL.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    I agree, I use VGA-in on mine because of pixel perfect display.

Why don't you recommend Samsung? I'm quite happy with mine.

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    My parents use a Samsung LCD with DVI. It's a desaster :-( The TV doesn't recognize the signal of the PC and just displays a stupid message "PC/DVI" which flies around on the screen ;)

This happens sometimes when resuming from hibernation, sometimes also from a "fresh" boot (pc off before) or a reboot. Sometimes it helps to plug out-and-in the DVI cable, sometimes it doesn't help ;)

I already talked to the Samsung hotline and they told me that nothing can be done, this is normal for DVI connections and I should use VGA - the screen doesn't have a VGA input... :mad:

So from this I think you should go for VGA.

Maschine

P.S. any hints on how to solve the described problems are more than welcome!!!

bigj

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2005
    Do you mean that your Samsung won't sync to 1360x768 at 50Hz or that your graphics card won't generate that mode?

Have you tried using powerstrip to add the mode/refresh@50hz ?

BigJ.

Marco9000

Portal Member
    August 1, 2005
    Do you mean that your Samsung won't sync to 1360x768 at 50Hz or that your graphics card won't generate that mode?

Have you tried using powerstrip to add the mode/refresh@50hz ?

BigJ.
    The TV won't do 50Hz Reliably.
    I've tried that but have always fallen back to 60Hz.

I've also used powerstrip to fumble around to get a good solution with the HDMI port but gave up.

tb205gti

Portal Member
    March 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I'm quite pleased with My Samsung 32" - I use VGA connector from a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    From experience helping people out I will generally advice to stear away from Samsung for any PC use.

-k

(1) Which manufacturer do you recommend?

(2) Why don't you recommend Samsung for PC use?

Further reading:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/guide_connecting_htpc_flatscreen-t14886.html?t=14886

And:
    knutinh said:
    Two major topics should be satisfied ideally:
    1. Good general image quality. This has very little to do with specs, you should view the image yourself with a variety of sources.

2. Good PC-connectivity. You should tell the salesman that you want:
    *1:1 pixel, typically lcd tvs capable of receiving the resolution that their physical display is using. Youd be amazed at how many tvs have a _hard-wired_ scaler/cropper inserted into the signal chain.
    *Flexible framerates while doing 1:1, At least 50Hz, 60Hz and 24/48/72 for viewing PAL, NTSC and theatre material at optimum quality.
    *All of this should be availale on HDMI so that you can actually use it when the ICT flag is enforced in 2012.

If the salesman does not know what this is, then find another.

Note that Samsung has never ever to my knowledge released a lcd-tv that satisfy the demands above for PC compatibility. Philips and Sony recently did for their very newest models. LG has a good track-record.

regards
    Knut
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/choosing_lcd_tv-t13521.html?t=13521&highlight=samsung

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom