Scheduled recordings fail unless watching live TV (1 Viewer)

limegreen

Portal Member
September 27, 2017
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Long time user, first time poster.

Mediaportal has been working fantastically for us for several years, but recently the TV Server is failing to record scheduled recordings. Everything seems on track, but then doesn't record *except if you are watching live TV at the time. I've tried deleting most of our scheduled recordings, as per an old thread. I guess the next steps are
1. Delete all schedules, and try just one recording.
2. Reinstall.

Any other good troubleshooting options?

Last edited:

limegreen

Portal Member
September 27, 2017
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Thanks for not being snarky about pointing out my epicfail, especially as I now see the sticky at the top. Also added my machine specs.

limegreen

Portal Member
September 27, 2017
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
After attempting to look through my log files, and seeing a potential issue with the TV cards, I tried taking out each of the cards one at a time, scheduling a recording, and then switching, but still no joy. Logs attached

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

When you try something such as the "taking out each of the cards..." thing, it would help if you could give a little more detail about what you were trying to prove (I have to confess I don't understand the point), when you did it (so we can find what you're talking about in the log files), and what the result was ("no joy" tells us that whatever you were trying didn't work, but not a whole lot more than that).

So, the most recent log entries are from the evening of 3 October. There are a bunch of error log entries like this from that evening:
    [2017-10-03 20:27:05,216] [Log ] [14 ] [ERROR] - card: unable to connect to slave controller at:TVPC

Those kind of entries tend to point to network issues. Maybe DNS problems (ie. your system or network is unable to determine the IP address associated with "TVPC"); maybe security software blocking TV Server from using the system's networking services in the way that it needs to; maybe a change of computer name (hostname) or IP address. Things like that.

limegreen

Portal Member
    September 27, 2017
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK thanks, that's helpful. I had read that error and some other ones, and was wanting to confirm that there was no super obvious hardware fault (ie a dead card).

However, was able to watch live TV on both, but neither recorded a scheduled programme.

I was going to say that I'd made no network modifications, but at some point I did manage to convince the mobo ethernet controller to work at gigabit speed (to take advantage of our gigabit connection), but it didn't seem obviously related to that.

I'll have a poke at the network settings, but is uninstalling/reinstalling likely to help mediaportal find network settings correctly likely to work better?

limegreen

Portal Member
    September 27, 2017
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So I did a complete reinstall after a full removal, and enjoyed several weeks working perfectly, but this issue has now recurred. Any thoughts? Apart from the reinstall, have done no admin type things whatsoever.

limegreen

Portal Member
    September 27, 2017
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No.

To enable us to attempt to form thoughts, it would really really help if you could specify when the recording failed.

The reinstall did work from 9 October through 27 October (last recording 7 days, TV3, 9:30pm on that day).
    It has missed Grand Designs NZ Tuesday 31 October (scheduled start 7:23pm)
    7 Days Friday 3 November (scheduled start, sometime after 9pm)

limegreen

Portal Member
    September 27, 2017
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    My crude peering into the logs suggests they are choked with disk quota messages, so I've disabled that, and then set a few things to record over the next 24 hours, which might make it a bit easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom