ScreenControl plugin v1.10.0 for MediaPortal 1.3.0 and higher (1 Viewer)

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
Re: ScreenControl plugin for MediaPortal v0.5.0

Hi UNOPARATOR,
the best way is to download the zip or mpe1 file, install it and copy the file from this post manually into your plugin directory. I want to publish a new version, but not in the next 2 weeks. Before I want to collect more suggestions, ideas or maybe problem reports.

Cheers and thx for interest, Micropolis ;-)

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England

As in your signature I wanted to let you know I'm using this plugin for the screen jump functionality and it is working very well, thank you!

I have a couple of questions, if I only use the screen jump, do I need all three .dlls in the plugin folder? I like to reduce the number of .dlls loaded to reduce the possibility of clashes/crashes if something is unneeded then I could remove it from the folder.

Secondly, the jump to screen when audio/video is playing - is the timeout based on inactivity (i.e. no remote buttons pressed) or time away from the selected screen? In my use case I would like it to be based on inactivity.

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi mortstar,
    see my answers below.

..., if I only use the screen jump, do I need all three .dlls in the plugin folder? I like to reduce the number of .dlls loaded to reduce the possibility of clashes/crashes if something is unneeded then I could remove it from the folder.

Yes, you need all 3 libraries to use the functionalities of this plugin.

Secondly, the jump to screen when audio/video is playing - is the timeout based on inactivity (i.e. no remote buttons pressed) or time away from the selected screen? In my use case I would like it to be based on inactivity.

The screen jump functionality is timeout based on inactivity. Everytime you press a remote button, a key on your keyboard or move the mouse, the timer starts again with the defined value.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Hodor

Portal Member
    September 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

I would love for this plugin to work on my HTPC, but for some reason this isn't the case. My HTPC is MP 1.1 RC1 and for some reason its not working on that. I'm guessing something keeps reseting the idle timer. I've looked over the logs but there isn't any usefull output from ScreenControl that I can find.

I've tried also with all other plugins disabled, just to make sure.

edit
    Found this in error.log
    2010-02-25 08:55:35.599485 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: Screen Control: MediaPortal WindowPtr is 2294336

DreadFury

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Hi mortstar,

The screen jump functionality is timeout based on inactivity. Everytime you press a remote button, a key on your keyboard or move the mouse, the timer starts again with the defined value.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

The plugin does not seem to work this way for me.
    If I am looking at a menu (like TV Guide) for the timeout length, even if I am constantly moving around the menu with the remote, it does the selected function as if i have been inactive for 2 minutes.

I can even switch between menus, going from tv guide to videos to recorded tv and back again, and it still does not seem to recognize my remote movements and switches back to fullscreen on me (my selected function).

I am using an MCE remote/blaster with IRSS.
    I have had the same issues on both MP1.1alpha(all svn's) and 1.1RC1.
    I get the same result on separate machines running vista ultimate x64 and winxp pro sp2 x86. (same remote and irss setup)

I think this might be an issue with it not recognizing IRSS controls?
    It would be great if this could be fixed.

Thanks for the plugin!

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

... I'm guessing something keeps reseting the idle timer. I've looked over the logs but there isn't any usefull output from ScreenControl that I can find. ... Found this in error.log
    2010-02-25 08:55:35.599485 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: Screen Control: MediaPortal WindowPtr is 2294336

Hi Hodor,
    sorry, but without any informations about your system configuration I cannot estimate, where the problem is to be sought.
    Do you use a keyboard/mouse combination or a remote control (and perhaps a 3rd party application like IRSS)? Can the problem reproduce with both input devices? Can you explain your ScreenControl settings?
    The message from error.log is not an indicator for a serios ScreenControl error, you can ignore this.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

The plugin does not seem to work this way for me. ... I am using an MCE remote/blaster with IRSS. I have had the same issues on both MP1.1alpha(all svn's) and 1.1RC1. ... I think this might be an issue with it not recognizing IRSS controls?

Hi DreadFury,
    currently I think this is a problem/inconsistency between ScreenControl and IRSS. I don't have enough information about the technical solution behind IRSS, also I don't have the required hardware in my personal test environment. My plugin is focused to examine internal windows keystrokes and mouse movements and may derive actions from it.
    Do you know more details behind the IRSS solution or a technical contact person? Do you know, if this plugin simulates key pressures? Sorry, but at the moment I'm a little bit clueless.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

DreadFury

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

The plugin does not seem to work this way for me. ... I am using an MCE remote/blaster with IRSS. I have had the same issues on both MP1.1alpha(all svn's) and 1.1RC1. ... I think this might be an issue with it not recognizing IRSS controls?

Hi DreadFury,
    currently I think this is a problem/inconsistency between ScreenControl and IRSS. I don't have enough information about the technical solution behind IRSS, also I don't have the required hardware in my personal test environment. My plugin is focused to examine internal windows keystrokes and mouse movements and may derive actions from it.
    Do you know more details behind the IRSS solution or a technical contact person? Do you know, if this plugin simulates key pressures? Sorry, but at the moment I'm a little bit clueless.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

The plugin does simulate keypresses and mouse movements.
    However, it comes with a plugin for MP which may use internal calls to MP itself instead.

The devs of IRSS can be found in their subforum.
    I'm sure you can find someone active over there.
    IR Server Suite (IRSS) - MediaPortal Forum

Also, the plugin is available in the public Media Portal Plugin SVN with source, so you can look exactly what it is doing in the code if you like.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-plugins-47/plugin-development-svn-15863/

Good luck, I hope this is a simple fix!
    I love your plugin, but this 'bug' makes for some very annoying situations. =)

Hodor

Portal Member
    September 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

... I'm guessing something keeps reseting the idle timer. I've looked over the logs but there isn't any usefull output from ScreenControl that I can find. ... Found this in error.log

Hi Hodor,
    sorry, but without any informations about your system configuration I cannot estimate, where the problem is to be sought.
    Do you use a keyboard/mouse combination or a remote control (and perhaps a 3rd party application like IRSS)? Can the problem reproduce with both input devices? Can you explain your ScreenControl settings?
    The message from error.log is not an indicator for a serios ScreenControl error, you can ignore this.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Ok. My system has an iMON IR that isn't properly working with IRSS yet. Therefore I'm using simple keystroke mapping with the iMON manager. So MP 1.1RC1 don't know about the remote, but reacts on the keystrokes iMON sends to it. So I guess we can rule out remote stuff inside MP for now, and focus on on keyboard input. It also have a Logitech diNovo Mini keyboard/mousepad hooked up, that is used for system maintenance.

Setting is enabled screen jump with a 1 min timer. Prevent disabled for now and screens are basichome, playing now and fullscreen. I don't use the rest of the features so they are all disabled.

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Hi Hodor,
    my MediaPortal environment contains also a Logitech DiNovo mini keyboard, which is connected blutooth/usb. All keystrokes or mousepad actions sends internal messages to control the ScreenControl timer. It's working fine.
    Can we exclude that the IMON manager periodically sends commands to the media center? Can you disable this temporarily?

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Hodor

Portal Member
    September 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Hi Hodor,
    my MediaPortal environment contains also a Logitech DiNovo mini keyboard, which is connected blutooth/usb. All keystrokes or mousepad actions sends internal messages to control the ScreenControl timer. It's working fine.
    Can we exclude that the IMON manager periodically sends commands to the media center? Can you disable this temporarily?

I tried with a disabled iMON software and still no luck with getting the plugin to work. I'm out of ideas to why this wont function on my system.

Keep up on these plugins you make. They look and feel very professional :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom