Screensaver Slideshow? (1 Viewer)

Jimixter

November 3, 2019
Home Country
England England
With the impending termination of support for Windows 7, I am another user who is migrating away from WMC and searching for an alternative.

I have installed MediaPortal 2, and have enabled the WMC skin which looks great. One feature we loved with WMC was the screensaver slideshow that could be configured to display photos that had a particular star-rating from specific directories at random. The star-rating feature was particularly useful, and we trawled through many photo albums to apply star ratings to the photos we wanted WMC to pick up.

Is there anything similar within MP2, at least from bare screensaver slideshow perspective? If not, is there a wish-list we could add this feature request to?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is there anything similar within MP2, at least from bare screensaver slideshow perspective?
    I fear that there is nothing similar at the moment. Neither an image based screensaver, nor a star rating feature.
    If not, is there a wish-list we could add this feature request to?
    Yes, there is a feature request thread, where you could add it. But I tell you directly, that the chances are not very high, as we have very limited resources and the list of waiting features (requested by many users) is already long. Best is always to have programing skills and adding missing features yourself ;)

Jimixter

November 3, 2019
    Home Country
    England England
    Best is always to have programing skills and adding missing features yourself
    I fear T-SQL will not help me much here ;-) Otherwise I definitely would! I'll add it to the list for now anyway, it was a simple but great feature that will be missed.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    One feature we loved with WMC was the screensaver slideshow that could be configured to display photos that had a particular star-rating from specific directories at random.
    I am curious what the requirement is here. Do you sit down when you have 5-10 minutes to spare and watch the random pictures displayed by the screen saver? Or is the purpose merely to display something that will prevent damage to the screen when you are listening to music or the radio, or when you are out of the room for 10-15 minutes with no video playing?

On my MP1 system I have the MP1 blank screen saver set up to activate after one minute, which it does if I am listening to music or the radio, or I leave the HTPC displaying an MP panel.

My TV is a Sony, which has various "screen modes". These are simply pre-defined collections of settings, and some of the screen modes switch the LEDs off when a blank screen is displayed. On the Sony, switching the LEDs off reduces power consumption by about 20 watts, and may also extend the life of the LEDs. It is necessary to control the audio volume by a separate audio amplifier (otherwise every time that you adjust the volume when listening to music or the radio causes the MP panel to re-appear and display for one minute before the screen saver activates again).

So, in these days of "climate extinction", is a slideshow screen saver needed? (Obviously a slideshow capability is needed in a media center, but is a slideshow screen saver needed?)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Jimixter

November 3, 2019
    Home Country
    England England
    I am curious what the requirement is here. Do you sit down when you have 5-10 minutes to spare and watch the random pictures displayed by the screen saver? Or is the purpose merely to display something that will prevent damage to the screen when you are listening to music or the radio, or when you are out of the room for 10-15 minutes with no video playing?

On my MP1 system I have the MP1 blank screen saver set up to activate after one minute, which it does if I am listening to music or the radio, or I leave the HTPC displaying an MP panel.

My TV is a Sony, which has various "screen modes". These are simply pre-defined collections of settings, and some of the screen modes switch the LEDs off when a blank screen is displayed. On the Sony, switching the LEDs off reduces power consumption by about 20 watts, and may also extend the life of the LEDs. It is necessary to control the audio volume by a separate audio amplifier (otherwise every time that you adjust the volume when listening to music or the radio causes the MP panel to re-appear and display for one minute before the screen saver activates again).

So, in these days of "climate extinction", is a slideshow screen saver needed? (Obviously a slideshow capability is needed in a media center, but is a slideshow screen saver needed?)

It displays a selected collection of photos for enjoyment on the TV screen for viewing purposes whilst iTunes plays music in the background, great for when guests are visiting. Of course we could just use another slideshow tool, but having it configured as a screensaver with a 1 minute delay was great in WMC, as if a programme was paused the photos would then be displayed in that paused period.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This may be a dumb suggestion, if you have already investigated and discarded it, but the standard Windows "photos" screensaver looks to me like it would meet your needs, it can be set for 1 minute and will activate in MP on pause or music (you would need to disable the MP screensaver). To use only those photos with a certain star rating would require you to export them to a specific folder or some other means to separate from the rest, so they can be designated in the screensaver settings.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It displays a selected collection of photos for enjoyment on the TV screen for viewing purposes whilst iTunes plays music in the background
    So the requirement is not for a screen saver that plays a slideshow; the requirement is actually for a slideshow that plays music.

Years ago people used to create AV presentations where a slideshow would be synchronised with an audio track containing commentary or suitable music. MP1 provides a slideshow capability, and I would expect that MP2 does too, but I am not sure whether either allows for a synchronised audio track. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom