Scrolling (patch included in MediaPortal RC2) (1 Viewer)

beruth

Portal Pro
March 16, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
Re: Re : Scrolling (patch included in MediaPortal RC2)

:sorry: for update this old post, put it seems that this scrolling problem is here again ... :(

I tried changing delays parameters in advanced settings, but not goods results ...

( I have all the latests versions of Media portal, moving pictures et Streamed MP )

Did someone notice the same thing ?

Thanks for your help

I have the same problem. Any ideas? thanks

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Try the following:

1. Adjust artwork timings in MovingPictures advanced settings, according to: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/776375-post4.html the following settings seem to work well:

-Artwork loading delay from 250 to 750
    -Details loading delay from 250 to 750
    -category random Artwork Refresh Interval from 120 to 360.

2. Verify that your artwork is not extremly large. On Vista/Win7 go to the following folder "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\MovingPictures\Covers\FullSize" and sort on size, and check dimensions. See if you have any very high resolution or large filesized images in there, and do the same for fanart.

It takes time to process those super large images, especially when they have to be reduced on the spot for the coverflow to work. Take for example:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYzOTc2NzU3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY3MDE3NQ@@.jpg

Which is the image that IMDb+ scraper will get for covers, it's a 1311x2048 resolution cover for "Captain America (2011)" that is over 2MB in size. It takes time to process those. Now MovPic makes a thumbnail version of this image for usage in certain parts of a skin, but I'm not sure if this small resolution version is used in the coverflow, or if the large original one is used.

Either way, having those high res large sized covers versus small optimized ones can make a big, big difference.

Due to small size of my "C:\" partition, which was done in preperation of a 40GB SSD upgrade (ended up selling SSD in the end, but I still got the partition), it is important for me to keep the thumbs folder in control. So I wrote a batch file that will reduce images based on a size threshold.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...age-size-thumbs-folder-movpic-tvseries-75750/

Normally you can use the timing adjustments from step #1 to avoid MovPic from even loading the larger images, but this works only well in list mode where you step through a text list of movies and once you wait past the timing thresholds the artwork is loaded. This then allows MovPic to just skip over loading movie artwork when you scroll through the list very fast.

For coverflow view, all those covers still have to be processed and loaded into memory to be shows, so the only artwork timing that would have any effect is the artwork one (which could still be a reason).

3. There have been a few fixes to MediaPortal v1.2beta that relate to speed in which artwork is shown, especially for coverflow. You would need to compile the latest SVN and install that to solve those problems, or wait for MP 1.2RC to be released.

The main issue would be: 0003564: CoverFlow stuttering with big steps in long item lists

4. It can also be that another plugin is interfering in the background. Some known ones are InfoService and Fanart Handler. An incorrect configuration on both of those could lead to a heavy background task for MediaPortal to handle which results in stuttering or other artifacts inside MediaPortal. The logs on each of them should reveal that easy or simply disable all the plugins first to see if the problem then goes away.

Note: If any of the above methods do work to resolve your issue, then please report back on it, so that the next person is helped as well.

beruth

Portal Pro
    March 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain

Try the following:

1. Adjust artwork timings in MovingPictures advanced settings, according to: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/776375-post4.html the following settings seem to work well:

-Artwork loading delay from 250 to 750
    -Details loading delay from 250 to 750
    -category random Artwork Refresh Interval from 120 to 360.

2. Verify that your artwork is not extremly large. On Vista/Win7 go to the following folder "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\thumbs\MovingPictures\Covers\FullSize" and sort on size, and check dimensions. See if you have any very high resolution or large filesized images in there, and do the same for fanart.

It takes time to process those super large images, especially when they have to be reduced on the spot for the coverflow to work. Take for example:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYzOTc2NzU3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY3MDE3NQ@@.jpg

Which is the image that IMDb+ scraper will get for covers, it's a 1311x2048 resolution cover for "Captain America (2011)" that is over 2MB in size. It takes time to process those. Now MovPic makes a thumbnail version of this image for usage in certain parts of a skin, but I'm not sure if this small resolution version is used in the coverflow, or if the large original one is used.

Either way, having those high res large sized covers versus small optimized ones can make a big, big difference.

Due to small size of my "C:\" partition, which was done in preperation of a 40GB SSD upgrade (ended up selling SSD in the end, but I still got the partition), it is important for me to keep the thumbs folder in control. So I wrote a batch file that will reduce images based on a size threshold.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...age-size-thumbs-folder-movpic-tvseries-75750/

Normally you can use the timing adjustments from step #1 to avoid MovPic from even loading the larger images, but this works only well in list mode where you step through a text list of movies and once you wait past the timing thresholds the artwork is loaded. This then allows MovPic to just skip over loading movie artwork when you scroll through the list very fast.

For coverflow view, all those covers still have to be processed and loaded into memory to be shows, so the only artwork timing that would have any effect is the artwork one (which could still be a reason).

3. There have been a few fixes to MediaPortal v1.2beta that relate to speed in which artwork is shown, especially for coverflow. You would need to compile the latest SVN and install that to solve those problems, or wait for MP 1.2RC to be released.

The main issue would be: 0003564: CoverFlow stuttering with big steps in long item lists

4. It can also be that another plugin is interfering in the background. Some known ones are InfoService and Fanart Handler. An incorrect configuration on both of those could lead to a heavy background task for MediaPortal to handle which results in stuttering or other artifacts inside MediaPortal. The logs on each of them should reveal that easy or simply disable all the plugins first to see if the problem then goes away.

Note: If any of the above methods do work to resolve your issue, then please report back on it, so that the next person is helped as well.

Thanks!, I will try this

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom