Separate Media and TV servers (1 Viewer)

BarryQZ

May 4, 2018
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,
Is it possible to have one MP2 server managing my local media and another separate MP2 server handling TV service functionality?
Then use a MP2 client to connect to both servers for media and TV service capability?

Reason I ask is that I would prefer that my noisy media server is not located in the living room where TV antenna connections terminate, as the spinning drives add a lot to the background noise.
Additionally my media is stored on on a Hyper-V virtual machine so cannot detect PCI TV tuner installed on host device, so even re-routing TV antenna would still require me to build a new dedicated media server.
So my solution was to (hopefully) separate the media server functionality from TV server functionality, like I do currently with MP1. Is this possible in MP2?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    s it possible to have one MP2 server managing my local media and another separate MP2 server handling TV service functionality?
    No

on a Hyper-V virtual machine so cannot detect PCI TV tuner installed
    I am not sure but I believe that VMWare allows the use of such hardware within the virtual machine.

like I do currently with MP1
    This is comparing apples and oranges. The media management architecture of MP1 is local in combination with a centralized TVServer application whereas MP2 organizes everything around one single server application.

BarryQZ

May 4, 2018
    Home Country
    OK, thanks. I guess it is back to the drawing board, or stick with MP1.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    But you can of course store your media on another machine. MP2 allows the use of remote shares as long as they are accessible via network as \\share\...

Alberto83

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    If you're using Hyper-V you might still try "Discrete Device Assignment", to unplug your PCIe tuner from the host and try to plug it "directly" to the guest.
    It's not supported with TV Tuners, but if the dirvers are written well you might want to give it a try and might work anyways.

BarryQZ

May 4, 2018
    Home Country
    Hi, yes that was the first solution I tried, but after 3 days running (installed on my HTPC and not being used for anything else) it still only managed to index about 20% of my files and the MP2 server seems to be practically unusable while updating media sources.
    I appreciate MP2 is still being worked on so can understand there'll be a few issues, but had hoped if I could split MP2 server functions and keep media management on my more powerful server (Xeon - 16GB RAM), but let living room HTPC (Core i3, 4GB RAM) do TV serving, it would be a handy solution.

Users who are viewing this thread