Server service on the service monitor keeps stopping randomly. Client can't see server status. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob C

Portal Member
February 6, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal 2 Version: 2.2

Description
I have had this problem since I installed about 6 Months ago. I think I botched the original setup some how of the server client relationship. I am currently running the 2.2 But this problem existed with at least 2 other versions that I started with.
So on the Client I can see service monitor in the tray icon when right clicked the start and stop service are grayed out. On the server they show normally and I can start or stop the service.
The other problem is the server stops this service on its own. And with the service stopped it doesn't record and the client doesn't have access to the server libraries until I restart it.
Any help is appreciated.
The auto start is enabled on both systems.

the 12.40.11 is from the client.
the 12.42.34 is a client and server setup

Steps to Reproduce:
It does seem that if the client locks up for any reason I will find the server service stopped.

Attachments

• MediaPortal2-Logs-2018-09-28-12.42.34.zip
    608.4 KB
  • MediaPortal2-Logs-2018-09-28-12.40.11.zip
    263.2 KB
Last edited by a moderator:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think I botched the original setup some how of the server client relationship
    Did you ever try to reinstall? You could do an uninstall, which keeps your databases, and then reinstall both server and client.

The other problem is the server stops this service on its own
    Where do you see this? There is no indication of the server service being stopped in the event logs.

What could be a real problem is your analogue TV card. Analogue cards are known to cause trouble and the observed instability could simply be a driver issue.

Last not least there could be some UPnP network trouble:
    [2018-09-27 20:03:15,746] [1403 ] [29 ] [WARN ] - Error handling SOAP request: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.

Since you've been having these issues a long time now, you could test the behavior with a clean install:

1. Server/Client
    • From the TV configuration export your TV channels/groups/etc.
    • Stop the MP2 Server service
    • Go to your ProgramData folder and move the TeamMediaPortal section of MP2 to another location
    • Uninstall MediaPortal
    • Reinstall MediaPortalpre
    • From the TV configuration import the previously saved TV channels/groups/etc.
    • You will need to recreate any share that you have been using
    2. Remote Client
    There is not much that you can save on the client but you lose your watched status.
    Uninstall the software
    Move the MP2 section in ProgramData away so that you can retrieve it if required later
    Reinstall MP 2.2pre

You should be done in less than 20 minutes. Check out if this cures the service monitor thing.

Bob C

Portal Member
    February 6, 2016
    Home Country
    Okay I did a complete Uninstall and reinstall with above directions. From the client I see this
    upload_2018-10-1_16-33-2.png
    Is this normal client operation?

I wont know for awhile if the server stop service happens so I have to use this window from the server to start the service.

I will run for a day or 2 and upload new logs if the service stops on its own.

Thanks for the help.

Bob C

Portal Member
    February 6, 2016
    Home Country
    So far so good. No random stops after the new install.

The MP2 Service is running and set to automatic.
    upload_2018-10-4_16-1-43.png

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No random stops after the new install.
    In a different thread a solution for sudden service stop was to assign a fixed IP to the server PC and then set it up in the MP2 server settings instead of the "auto" entry. Something that you could try if the issue reappaears.

Meanwhile I'll mark this thread as solved.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom