Set up TV in Media Portal 1.12 (1 Viewer)

Roy Shopland

Portal Member
July 30, 2015
Home Country
England England
Having upgraded to Windows 10 I am now looking for a replacement for WMC and have downloaded !.12. I am struggling to set up the TV facility. When I go into Media Portal I see a "power switch" which does not seem to do anything. If I click on TV I briefly see a short list starting with TV but it is not possible to click onto it. Clearly I have not set up the facility correctly. I am using it in conjunction with Hauppauge WINTV MINISTICK HIGH SENSITIVITY DIGITALTV TUNER UK 00294. I can see a limited number of channels when I click on TV in the revolving list. Can anyone give me an idiots guide on how to set up the TV tuner. Many thanks

hkjensen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Make sure that you have configured the TV-Server part:
    - Open TV-Server configuration
    - Scan for channel

Open MediaPortal configuration
    under TV check connection to local TV-Server

Roy Shopland

Portal Member
    July 30, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Many thanks for your response. When I open Media Portal Configuration .TV I do not see the "connection to local server". Attached is a copy of the screen I am seeing. Any further help would be much appreciated. Many thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• Capture 3.PNG
      Capture 3.PNG
      129.6 KB

Jasmeet_181

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Click on TV/Radio on the left and you should see this, correct the hostname if needed and test the connection. There is a wiki entry for the section here.

Roy Shopland

Portal Member
    July 30, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Many thanks. I now get TV if I click on guide . When I open Media Portal I see a screen with the various options including TV. If I click on TV I get a side list which disappears but if I press enter it then goes into TV. At the bottom there is what appears to be an power button but this does not appear to do anything. Is this what you would expect.
    Whilst writing can I please seek your guidance on setting up EPG. I have downloaded MC2XML and there is a folder named xmltv sitting on my desktop. I am struggling to work out where I rename the file "tvguide.xml. Do I change it on the desktop or in the TV Server configuration. Attached is a screen shot what I am seeing in the latter. Sorry to ask what is probably obvious questions but this is my first experience of Media Portal.

Once again many thanks for your help thus far.

Attachments

• Capture 4.PNG
      Capture 4.PNG
      113.2 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When I open Media Portal I see a screen with the various options including TV. If I click on TV I get a side list which disappears but if I press enter it then goes into TV.
    That's because you're trying to use a mouse with a skin (Titan) that is not intended/designed for use with a mouse.
    If you want to use MediaPortal with a mouse then I suggest you choose another skin.

Whilst writing can I please seek your guidance on setting up EPG. I have downloaded MC2XML and there is a folder named xmltv sitting on my desktop. I am struggling to work out where I rename the file "tvguide.xml.
    The file generated by mc2xml is normally called xmltv.xml you have to change the name of that file to tvguide.xml [in Windows Explorer, nothing to do with TV Server]. In addition, you must set the location of your tvguide.xml file in the first tab in the XMLTV plugin.

I suggest you follow the mc2xml setup guide:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_mc2xml

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Whilst writing can I please seek your guidance on setting up EPG. I have downloaded MC2XML and there is a folder named xmltv sitting on my desktop. I am struggling to work out where I rename the file "tvguide.xml".
    Since you are in the UK and are using a DVB-T tuner, you might find it simpler to start with the EPG that is broadcast with the TV signals, instead of using an internet EPG. The latter does have its merits (such as more detail about programmes), but it is more difficult to set up. For the broadcast EPG, read this:

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/DVB_EPG_Data

then the advice in this post:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ee-tuner-available-issue.131391/#post-1145097

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Roy Shopland

Portal Member
    July 30, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Many thanks for your suggestion which has worked fine for me - I now have a fully populated EPG .It really is most helpful to be able to obtain guidance through this forum as I am on a steep learning curve. Now I just have to sort out the Remote! for some reason when selecting channels using the number key pad it does not seem to work when inputting numbers above 9.

Once again many thanks for your help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Roy Shopland

Portal Member
    July 30, 2015
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it does not seem to correct the issue. I am using the EPG signal broadcast with the TV signals - I don't now whether that has any bearing on the problem. Some of the early numbers input on the remote numeric or keyboard work but later numbers simply have no effect. For instance if I put in132 for Sky nothing happens. The remote worked previously with Window Media Centre so I am assuming that is not at fault. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom