Should I switch from MP1 (1.2.3.0) to MP2? (1 Viewer)

Solitar

Portal Member
June 28, 2009
Ok, as the title asks, should I switch?

Current config:
Hardware:
HP N40L microserver with 8GB RAM
USB dual DVB-T card
USB soundcard (bought off ebay from somewhere in China - works just fine)
Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers
MCE Remote

Software:
Win Server 2008 R2 with the BDE fix
Sharkys codec pack
MPC-HC
MP 1.2.3.0
Moving Pictures
TV Series
Music Videos
MP Renderer set to use MPC-HC

Setup:
DefaultWide Skin. Clean, pretty, functional, never felt the need to change it
EPG is grabbed from the DVB-T stream (PAL, UK). Always worked just fine ooob
Access to media is either local, UNC path, or folder junctions

Plan:
I bought an N54L which to be honest has sat on a shelf for a while, but I'd like to actually set it up and use it
Install Win10 64
Install Sharkys codec pack
Install MP2
Move USB dual DVB-T card over
Move sound card and speakers over
Move MCE Remote over

Currently I only use the N40L as both server and client, but moving forward I now have spare boxes I'd like to set up as clients

Am I right in thinking I'd read that MovingPictures (or a clone) was now integrated into MP2 ooob?
Am not too concerned about db migration - all my files are well named so if the plugins in MP2 are similar to the ones in MP1 they should have little difficulty finding the meta info for them

So..... to the question finally! What are the pros and cons of me either sticking to the setup I have, or moving to the proposed setup?

If I stick to the current server setup, can I use MP2 as clients on my other machines and them work fine connecting to the MP1 TV server?

Facts, opinions, suggestions all welcome :)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    should I switch?
    This can be answered only by yourself...;)

Am I right in thinking I'd read that MovingPictures (or a clone) was now integrated into MP2 ooob?
    Yes, you're right. Same is for TVSeries, also integrated in MP2 ootb...

Install Sharkys codec pack
    Please don't do this. all that you ever need is bundled with MP (1 and 2) so any other codec pack only makes things worse. no matter which pack you choose.
    Am not too concerned about db migration
    As MP2 is supporting the well known .nfo files it's easy to migrate. Simply export your Moving Pictures DB with the help of MovPicNfo and you will have an exact copy of your movies database in MP2 including any possible changes you may have done by hand to the metadata. And you even can re- use your watched status flags with the help of MP2-Edit...

What are the pros and cons
    MP1 is that what you know. So you are used to it. MP2 is completely different so expect some things not that easy to find as those things are different (location and/or functionality). MP1 has more plugins available but it also needs more plugins for full functionality. MP2 did not have that much, but it has all you need for "average" usage directly included. Things like "Fanart- Handler" or "MPTVSeries" or such are not available for MP2 as they are not needed because those functionality is part of the core MP2 system.
    The main advantages of MP2 are the Picture in Picture feature (technically not possible in MP1) and the most important thing, the true Server- Client infrastructure. In MP1 you only can share the TV engine. In MP2 you are sharing all of your media databases. No need to add media to every client. If you have added them on one client, they are instantly available on all clients. And MP2 has a much more constant look and feel. All mayor plugins are part of the core system so you will get a (nearly) identical GUI and usage for all parts of MP2...

can I use MP2 as clients on my other machines and them work fine connecting to the MP1 TV server?
    You can use LiveTV from an existing MP1 TV Server if you install MPExtended too. The rest is completely independent and for this you still need to run the MP2 Server software somewhere in your network and add all Media to MP2 again...

Solitar

Portal Member
    June 28, 2009
    Thanks Lehmden, good answer there. I know obviously one option is "if it aint broke, dont try and fix it" - and I've always been over the moon with my current setup (as you can guess, been running it a while from the fact it's the old 1.2.3.0

Regarding the built in video decoding capabilities, I'd installed a codec pack from way back when it was suggested to use the MPC-HD video renderer since there were some glitches at the time that 1.2.3.0 was released with ATi gfx cards and this was a workaround to fix that. If I dont install any codecs to a clean build PC, will it still handle mp4, mkv, avi, vob etc (the usual pick n mix of codecs)?

One feature I've really been after for the longest time, and unsure it that's available in MP2 is the ability to play an audio playlist/album whatever, but then run a separate video at the same time - sounds weird, but I have a few very long videos of things like a real fireplace, or fish swimming in the ocean - very relaxing

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    One feature I've really been after for the longest time, and unsure it that's available in MP2 is the ability to play an audio playlist/album whatever, but then run a separate video at the same time - sounds weird, but I have a few very long videos of things like a real fireplace, or fish swimming in the ocean - very relaxing
    I don't use the PIP function that often, so I'm not very familiar with it. But this should be possible in MP2 due to the PIP capability. Only thing I'm not sure about is if there is an option to select which audio is played. Normally it is the audio of the full screen played video but afair there is an option to switch audio separately or similar. If this option is not available now, it probably can be added easily... So then you can listen to music while watching a video (or commercial breaks in Live TV) in full screen. Not too uncommon, I'm sure and for this it should be available if it isn't already...
    Best is to ask our "boss" @morpheus_xx about this...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Solitar

Portal Member
    June 28, 2009
    Thanks guys. Since it's different metal, I guess there's no reason not to give it a whirl. If after a few weeks I dont like it, I can just switch back to my current system. Appreciate the replies

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hmmm..... I have been using MP 1 for a few months and have a bit of an idea now - by no means expert - I think I have it working well.... As another poster has admitted, I too am an obsessive compulsive tinkerer! And am thinking of giving MP2 a go. I have installed MP2 client on a different PC but I am unable to connect to the MP1 TV server so I am a bit cautious ....

One question - can I export the TV server settings from MP1 and then reimport them after installing MP2, considering the TV server is the same for both 1 & 2? I suppose the answer to that is yes if they are the same - It took me quite a while to get the TV server working to my satisfaction.

I did see somewhere that MP2 can be installed side by side to MP1 - if I did this, do I need to do a single seat install for MP2 or can I just do a MP2 client install (on the same PC running the TV Server).

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    can I export the TV server settings from MP1 and then reimport them after installing MP2
    Yes. There is an import/Export function build into the TV config tool. This is the same in both versions and for this the data is fully compatible.

if I did this, do I need to do a single seat install for MP2 or can I just do a MP2 client install
    MP2 is completely different. For most of the functionality of MP2 (e.g. Movies or Series Support) you need a MP2 server running somewhere in your network. Normally the MP2 server also provides the LiveTV capabilities to all clients. But if you wish to use an existing MP1 TV server, this is possible too, also with some limited features due to technical reasons.
    So if you want to use an existing MP1 TV server you first should stop this TV server, then install MP2 with Client and Server. If you don't stop the MP1 Tv Server prior to the installation of MP2 it most likely won't install properly. When the MP2 installation is done, follow the guides to install "SlimTV MPExtended" from the Wiki. Now you can restart the MP1 TV Server and use Live TV from it in all MP2 Clients.

raffe

Portal Pro
    March 28, 2008
    As MP2 is supporting the well known .nfo files it's easy to migrate. Simply export your Moving Pictures DB with the help of MovPicNfo and you will have an exact copy of your movies database in MP2 including any possible changes you may have done by hand to the metadata. And you even can re- use your watched status flags with the help of MP2-Edit...
    This sound perfect!

Is there something similar for My TV-series? My family have 278 series with 5546 episodes and I have not found a "MyTVseries2Nfo" app and TraktTV (that could sync at least 80%) don't sync watched status for Mp2 yet (what I know).

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Lehmden, Looks to me easier to uninstall MP1 and install MP2 single seat after saving the TV server settings.
    How mature is MP 2? Am I correct in saying it is still under development? Can you give me an anticipated release date?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom