[no Bug] Skip in PiP doesnt work for 2nd Video (1 Viewer)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    having the flexibility to manually swap the focus is a nice idea, but from a practical perspective it is going to confuse the hell out of anyone who doesn't understand the background logic (i.e. my wife or kids).
    why you're referring to my post and talk about loosing the flexibility?!
    for the third time:
    In my explanation before the "SwitchFocusButton" isn't gone, so you can still switch the focus to the audio player with a button ;)
    But If you have two videos (one in fullscreen & one in PiP) and change positions the fullscreen one get automatically focus.
    This means: Switch it manual is still possible there is just one situation in which MP switches the Focus automatically...

Smeulf you got it^^

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    In fact, we have to handle more cases :

• Start a song, then a video or a picture slideshow in the background => The Audio player remains focused : Should the video player beeing focused or not ? (It's not possible to fullscreen the audio visualization atm when a video is playing)
    • Start a video or a picture slideshow then a song => The video player remains focused, should it ?

IMO the player in fullscreen should always have a higher focus priority than the other player (either PIP Video or Audio player)

It means when a player becomes the fullscreen one, it gains the focus. Of course FreakyJ, we keep the focus button to gain control on the other player.

BTW, maybe we should rename that button to something like "Send inputs to Audio player" or "Send commands to Audio player", or similar, because "Focus" is not very WAF IMO.

Cheers.

Smeulf.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry FreakyJ, I mis-read your post. Yes, that isn't a reduction in flexibility and would work.

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    to first:
    Video should get focus, reason: started it later, so it would make sense that the person is interested to do something with the video like show somethinga friend or so... don't know^^ and it is fullscreen so it would be more intuitive

to second:
    No the new Player should get focus, but it should be marked in some way, maybe a little toast (this is something like MSN uses if a user has signed in or so)

This leads to the rule that the last started player will get focus which makes sense :) Because I'm normally interested in controlling the last started thing or I'm not?^^

It means when a player becomes the fullscreen one, it gains the focus. Of course FreakyJ, we keep the focus button to gain control on the other player.
    Thanks that wasn't so clear before and it sounded like that with my idea this button gets removed what wasn't my intention^^

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I'm confused ...
    Well - to have said something ... PIP always only the full screen has control - the PIP is only Info - if you want to control the other you will have to switch the main window ... so - what I didn't see (and probably missed) was a simple "Toggle" option. This way it would be straight forward - Watch Slideshow in Mainscreen - have full control there - playing musik in PIP you can listen - that's it. You want to switch trak or select something else - Toggle Musik to fullscreen - do your changes and toggle back to slideshow. I beleive everything else is confusing ... well - for me ;)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hmm I like the other approach more, is more flexible ;)
    Your way is kinda integrated in our suggested one... well it is for movies^^

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Doing everything with all options and have a user understand it without doing an exam that's a task. You want to switch Focus if I understand - OK - only thing I would like to have is some sort of marking making it clear that the focus is now on the PIP - maybe a clear vsible border os the controls displayed in a different way or whatever.

Also you need to think about the options a remote has - what buttons are you able to use for this sort of functionality - as it is standard now it should be something every MCE Remote has.

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    to first:
    Video should get focus, reason: started it later, so it would make sense that the person is interested to do something with the video like show somethinga friend or so... don't know^^ and it is fullscreen so it would be more intuitive

to second:
    No the new Player should get focus, but it should be marked in some way, maybe a little toast (this is something like MSN uses if a user has signed in or so)

This leads to the rule that the last started player will get focus which makes sense :) Because I'm normally interested in controlling the last started thing or I'm not?^^

If I summarize we have 2 incompatible points of view :

Yours : Last player must have the focus (and if we follow this rule every time, then the PIP player has to be focused when started, but I think people will be more interested in controlling the fullscreen video...)

Mine : Fullscreen player is always focused when it goes fullscreen : this gives us a common rule for Audio/PIP/Pictures.

A common rule is always easier to understand than a rules that differs in the time...

But that's just my opinion... Albert, Morpheus, may we have yours ?

PS : I told you guys that changing a desing can take time in the team. It's not easy to convince people and find the good way for everyone ;)

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    To make it a bit clearer.
    Our three independent switches, which morpheus was talking about at the beginning of this thread, are:
    1) Primary/secondary (= fullscreen / PiP)
    2) Focused/unfocused (= Player, which receives player commands)
    3) Audio/Not audio (= Player which provides the audio signal)

Smeulf's point is that the concepts primary/secondary and focused/unfocused should be merged into one single switch, i.e. only the primary player should be able to receive player commands (off course that makes it necessary that the audio player can also be switched to fullscreen to be able to be controlled).

FreakyJ wants to preserve the current three switches but only wants MP2 to switch the focus to the "right" player automatically more often, which depends on the situation. The player focus should be set to the fullscreen player (if primary/secondary players are switched), but it should be set to the PiP player if it was just created.

The audio player switch, as it is implemented now, would fit into both concepts very well.

Personally, I like both concepts very much. Off course I like the flexibility of my original concept and I think FreakyJ's concept would fit good into my original idea. But as far as I can see, Smeulf's idea would decrease the complexity of control (because it removes one of the switches), without loosing too much flexibility.

The only point where I think we might loose too much flexibility with Smeulf's concept is this: The focused player not only receives player control commands. It is also the player which provides the data for the "Currently Playing" screen. And it is the player of the playlist which is currently being edited. So in Smeulf's concept, imagine you're watching a football game noiseless and you want to listen to music in the secondary player, which could be a quite common scenario. To add music to the music playlist, you would need to have the music player in fullscreen all the time while you're browsing through your ML. I think that is neither acceptable nor is it what we want to achieve with our player-picture-in-the-background. We WANT the user to be able to always see the player in the background which is most interesting. And in my example scenario, you have two different interests: The visual interest is on the football player while the control focus must be on the audio player...

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Would it be much work to implement an option? So it would be users choice which of the concepts he likes the most :)
    What I like about MP is that there are so many options and customization possibilities we shouldn't loose such personalization with MP2 :)
    What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom