skywalker-1 tuner scan all dish channel get unknown name (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Owlsroost
    I have the feeling that this change is responsible:
    https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-3272

Reading back through the source thread for that issue I think the solution should have simply been to enable channel movement detection. That is precisely the reason that setting exists. It is also what we in New Zealand do to avoid creation of duplicate channels for the regional variations. If my hunch proves correct I think we may need to consider/investigate rolling back the change.

wderbi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Ok, I will post a TS dump when I get home in about 1.5 hrs. Also, I realize that it is tough for you to troubleshoot without having access to the satellite streams in question. If it can help you troubleshoot, we could discuss (by PM if preferred) a way to allow access to my HTPC so that you could troubleshoot this issue in real-time. Just let me know!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Owlsroost
    I have the feeling that this change is responsible:
    https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-3272

Reading back through the source thread for that issue I think the solution should have simply been to enable channel movement detection. That is precisely the reason that setting exists. It is also what we in New Zealand do to avoid creation of duplicate channels for the regional variations. If my hunch proves correct I think we may need to consider/investigate rolling back the change.

There was quite a lot of discussion about the problems leading up to the mod here - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tv-server-channel-numbers-set-to-10-000.116659/page-10

Also the wiki entry about the 'channel movement detection' option doesn't mention duplicate channels - "It is intended if your provider(s) constantly move your channels to different frequencies". I normally have the option enabled (to handle when channels are moved between muxes), but I can't remember if that was the case when the investigations leading up to mods were being done.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There was quite a lot of discussion about the problems leading up to the mod here - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tv-server-channel-numbers-set-to-10-000.116659/page-10
    Thanks for the link. The more I read, the more my opinion is reinforced.

Also the wiki entry about the 'channel movement detection' option doesn't mention duplicate channels - "It is intended if your provider(s) constantly move your channels to different frequencies". I normally have the option enabled (to handle when channels are moved between muxes), but I can't remember if that was the case when the investigations leading up to mods were being done.
    It is hard to describe all the effects of such a technical option in words that everyone can understand. ;)
    Yes, the primary purpose of the option is indeed to detect channel movement (ie. avoid creating duplicate channels). The implementation or technical meaning is via control of the identifier TV Server uses for channels. That means it will also have effects for regionalised channels.
    For satellite, DVB-C and DVB-T/T2 tuners:
    option disabled = channel identifier is ONID + TSID + SID
    option enabled = channel identifier is ONID + SID

In practical terms this mainly affects the decision to insert or update channels in the database. For all intents and purposes it doesn't matter which TSID TV Server stores with your channels. As long as you enable the option during scanning TV Server will correctly update the channel information. If you don't, TV Server may create duplicates in subsequent scans (depending on the TSID which is found - which depends on timing/luck - and the TSID in the DB).

Please can you double check whether the option solves the problem or not by rolling back the fix.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It sounds like the option should always be enabled by default then ?

Maybe it should be labeled 'Check for/remove duplicate channels' if that is what it actually does ? (the current label is misleading - 'move' means gone from one place and appearing somewhere else, not copied/duplicated).

Why does TV server not automatically favour the channels found on table_id 0x42 (for the current mux) over any found using table_id 0x46 (which are for other muxes) ?

I don't have any problem at all with rolling back the mod, but it feels like this needs fixing properly so that it's user friendly.

Last edited:

wderbi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2011
    Home Country
    I am trying to upload a TSdump to the FTP site. It took me an hour or so to figure this stuff out, but I think I got it! Now I just have to try using my FTP program to send it. Should be several more minutes.

BTW, the dump is from an unencrypted channel...Is this gonna be OK?

wderbi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2011
    Home Country
    TsDump is on the way! Its taking a while over the FTP though.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It sounds like the option should always be enabled by default then ?
    Yes and no. I don't know if you remember all the trouble we had with satellite and DVB-IP scanning in the 1.2.x releases. The introduction of the option was the "solution".

For IPTV, either we haven't completely and correctly implemented the spec or the majority of providers are not following the spec. The ONID, TSID, and SID values are often reused and/or may change from day to day for a given service. For DVB-IP, disabling the option causes TV Server to use the URL as identifier. This is the best approach and is in practise necessary for almost everyone.

For satellite (where the application of the option really is channel movement detection), providers on different satellites (and even on a single satellite) reuse combinations of ONID, TSID and SID. In particular, values of 0 or 1 are [ab]used for feeds and providers that haven't registered to get their own ONID/TSID. These non-compliant broadcasts already cause enough problems with the option disabled. Namely, TV Server overwrites sets of channels that are actually different. For example:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...uring-scaninng-the-tuerksat-satellite.121257/

Enabling the option by default would make the problem worse.

ATSC and NA cable don't have the option.
    For DVB-C and DVB-T it may be reasonable to set it as default.

Personally I think what is needed is a rethink and a better approach. I've been thinking about this challenge for a long time and some of the ideas have already filtered into the TVE 3.5 TsWriter. The tough part is making the possible configurations understandable and usable.

Maybe it should be labeled 'Check for/remove duplicate channels' if that is what it actually does ? (the current label is misleading - 'move' means gone from one place and appearing somewhere else, not copied/duplicated).
    Like I said, the option was introduced to handle channel movement which is why it is named how it is. The current name is an improvement on the original, and I have absolutely zero opposition to changing the name again if you think something else would be better. :)

Why does TV server not automatically favour the channels found on table_id 0x42 (for the current mux) over any found using table_id 0x46 (which are for other muxes) ?
    I guess it could do that but usually there is no serious conflict between the two sets of info. What I mean is that in every case I've encountered, if two services with the same service ID are listed in 0x42 and 0x46 then they are actually the same service. In other words, the info that matters - name, service type and encrypted/free status (those are the primary pieces of info received from the SDT in TVE 3) - are the same. The TSID in the 0x42 table section may differ from the TSID(s) in the 0x46 table section(s)... but this is secondary info, and really TV Server should ignore it. It is not a tuning parameter.

I don't have any problem at all with rolling back the mod, but it feels like this needs fixing properly so that it's user friendly.
    While I agree, I think a real fix is out of scope for TVE 3. An adequate fix would be to use the OtherMux flag to prioritise SDT info received in TS writer.

liewfr

Portal Member
    April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    miss 2 days only and so much info here. I try to chose 'channel movement detection' option. with or without give the same unknown channel name result.

Regarding the ts raw file, I follow the wiki instruction, chose the option of dump raw ts file, restart the computer, start scanning the channel. Stop scanning the channel, for the sake of my life, I do not see any rawpacketdump.ts file at all ....... Please let me know anything so I can help.[DOUBLEPOST=1379029039][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, the channel movement detection seems not working on charlie. On mp 1.3, I will still get duplicated channel even the option is on when I scan the same satelite 2nd time .....

wderbi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 15, 2011
    Home Country
    miss 2 days only and so much info here. I try to chose 'channel movement detection' option. with or without give the same unknown channel name result.

Regarding the ts raw file, I follow the wiki instruction, chose the option of dump raw ts file, restart the computer, start scanning the channel. Stop scanning the channel, for the sake of my life, I do not see any rawpacketdump.ts file at all ....... Please let me know anything so I can help.[DOUBLEPOST=1379029039][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, the channel movement detection seems not working on charlie. On mp 1.3, I will still get duplicated channel even the option is on when I scan the same satelite 2nd time .....

I think it wont work while scanning. I think you have to watch a channel...try channel 100 since it is FTA and not scrambled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom