Sleep Behavior (1 Viewer)

blazerqb11

December 19, 2020
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've been using MediaPortal 2 for a while, but I have not been able to figure out how to get the sleeping behavior that works for me. I'm hoping that someone here can explain to me what settings I need select. I would like MediaPortal 2 to do the following:
Wake the computer if it is asleep when it is time to start a TV recording
Keep the computer awake only when recording or actively displaying content
Not prevent sleep at all other times

The problem I keep running into is that MediaPortal prevents the computer from sleeping anytime the sever is up.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Lehmden do you have a good hint or link to another thread? I remember, that you were involved in many discussions for this and I never understood it, nor was I interested, because I do not record and just switch my HTPC on and off.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    It's not that complicated. While actively displaying content the MP2- Server should prevent standby automatically without any user configuration.
    The desired behavior regarding recordings is configured in TV settings and is done by the PowerScheduler plugin...
    How this plugin works is described nicely in Wiki so no need to re-write it here.

Power Scheduler (1)

Also this Part of the Wiki is for MP1, it's valid for MP2 too... The only difference is, that MP2 did not have or need the client plugin as all the work is done on the MP2 Server system.
    If this "normal" procedure did not work as expected, then we need to have a deeper look...

Corny

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If the normal procedure won't work, try to adjust the DVB EPG settings. The EPG Grabber is preventing my systems from standby most of the time, so I had to disabled the EPG grabbing while idle.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The EPG Grabber is preventing my systems from standby most of the time, so I had to disabled the EPG grabbing while idle.
    ...Or change the refresh interval for idle grabbing to 1440 minutes (= 24 hours). I grab from DVB-T once per day (at 06:00hrs). :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    You can untick "Do not put the computer to sleep while grabbing EPG" in TVSettings -> Plugins -> PowerScheduler to achieve this.

1608629455133.png

This you may see only in "Expert Mode" of PS, not in "Plug'n'Play mode"...

As I've used EPG-Buddy for most if not all channels I synchronized PowerScheduler with the Timer set for EPG-Buddy automatic grabbing so PS awakes the PC at the time EPG should be grabbed. And I added the grabber process of EPG-Buddy as a standby preventing process in PowerScheduler so it keeps the system awake until EPG grabbing is finished. This always has worked like a charm...

blazerqb11

December 19, 2020
    Home Country
    Thanks, I'm guessing that it was the EPG grabber that was keeping it awake before. It seems to be working now as expected now. I'll have to look into changing the refresh interval.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm guessing that it was the EPG grabber that was keeping it awake before.
    I would recommend reading this page in the MP Wiki for advice on achieving the optimal setup for EPG grabbing. Although the page is in the MP1 section of the Wiki, TV Server is common to MP1 and MP2, so the TV Server Wiki pages apply to MP2 too. (y)

Note: there is another page in the Wiki describing EPG grabbing, but it contains less information than the page linked, so I would suggest avoiding that inferior page. :eek:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

blazerqb11

December 19, 2020
    Home Country
    It seems like I do not need to use the EPG grabber at all, as my EPG is still updating. I was confused before about the purpose of the EPG grabber, so I believe everything is working as I'd hoped before. Thanks for the help everyone.

chemoul

Portal Member
    September 29, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The only difference is, that MP2 did not have or need the client plugin as all the work is done on the MP2 Server system.

I'm confused when/if PowerScheduler is required for MP2.

I've read a couple of times now that the PowerScheduler isn't needed for MP2. Can I confirm that whilst it is not needed for MP2 itself, is it still needed for the TV server, ie when using MP2 to record TV shows?
    Would MP2 still work without Powerscheduler to wake up the PC for a scheduled recording then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom