Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Would MP2 still work without Powerscheduler to wake up the PC for a scheduled recording then?
    Short answer: no.

The PowerScheduler client plugin as known from MP1 is not needed and/or working in MP2. But the PowerScheduler TVServer Plugin is needed in MP2 if you want to record TV shows and let the system go to sleep when not used. Even if you set PS plugin to let Windows handle the standby things it still is necessary to tell Windows when to wake up the system for a scheduled recording. This is done by the PowerScheduler plugin. If you have your system running 24/7 then you probably don't need PS urgently. But even then it is useful to trigger EPG grabbing and do a regular reboot without disturbing probably running recordings. So in general I would say, it is needed and very useful.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,
    If I understand correctly, some users need MP1 PS plugin for MP2 in some case for wakeup/sleep in particular cases.
    Then finally, why not integrate it ?
    It doesn't break MP1 use and maybe, can help other MP2 users.
    Sometimes, I don't understand or maybe am I wrong ?....

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If I understand correctly, some users need MP1 PS plugin for MP2 in some case for wakeup/sleep in particular cases.
    No, sorry. MP1 plugins are not compatible with MP2, never. Some plugins like Online Videos as example are available for both, MP1 and MP2. But they are not identical. You can not install the MP1 version of OnlineVideos to MP2 and vice versa...

What you need here is the PowerScheduler TVServer Plugin. This always is included in the base MP2 installation. You only need to activate this in setuptv as with any other TV Server plugin...

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    No, sorry. MP1 plugins are not compatible with MP2, never.
    I sorry to disagree with you, PS MP1 plugin (where I proposed changes) is a TV Server plugin.
    It's MP1/MP2 plugin compatible because, PS is a server plugin (at least, for this part).
    But for users please, don't try MP1 + MP2 install on production machine, you will moan.

What you need here is the PowerScheduler TVServer Plugin. This always is included in the base MP2 installation. You only need to activate this in setuptv as with any other TV Server plugin...
    Then, simply add the proposed changes can be useful for MP2 users, without back problems for MP1 users...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    PS MP1 plugin (where I proposed changes) is a TV Server plugin.
    Indeed there is a PS plugin for MP1. This plugin coordinates the actions done by the TV Server PS plugin with the MP 1 client. For MP2 this client plugin is not necessary as the coordination is done by the MP2 server automatically without an extra client plugin. But this plugin is not the one you're talking about, I think...

We have to deal with five different kinds of (not compatible) plugins here. MP 1 Client plugins, MP2 client plugins, MP2 Server plugins, TVE 3.0 plugins and TVE 3.5 plugins. None of them are compatible means you can not use the PS plugin for TVE 3.0 in TVE 3.5 and vice versa, you can not use a MP1 client plugin in MP2 client, You can not use a MP2 client plugin in MP2 server and so on...

As a TV Server plugin the PowerScheduler plugin is NOT a MP1 plugin, it's a TV Server plugin. The TV Server (or to be precise the TV Engine 3.0) is independent of MP1 or MP2... MP1 is delivered with TVE 3.0 included and so is MP2. Recently there also is a TVE 3.5 version for MP2 available that can be used instead of TVE 3.0. Due to shortcomings of the MP1 TV client plugin the TVE 3.5 today can not be used together with MP1. This needs some rewrites, fixes and changes on the TV Client plugin to communicate with TVE 3.5. If this would be done some day MP1 also could use the TVE 3.5 without breaking the TVE 3.0 support. In general the TV engine is not a part of MP1, it's a separate thing. It's even possible to use the TV Server completely without MP (using Kodi as client).

MP (1 and 2) is delivered with the same TV Engine as default. The difference is, in MP1 recently you only can use TVE 3.0 where you can use TVE 3.0, TVE 3.5 and even TVMosaic as TV engine in MP2...

Then, simply add the proposed changes can be useful for MP2 users, without back problems for MP1 users...
    Also the TVE 3.0 is identical in MP1 and MP2 the used database is not. Default MP1 uses MySQL where MP2 uses SQLite. So there is a slightly different DB handling needed, that probably can cause some trouble in this special case. But I'm sure it is possible without to much hassling...

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Yep, I understand what you explained.
    Simply, at the moment (in the past) when I tested it, PS standby/wakeup didn't work as expected.
    By adding this little changes, I found it did the trick (for me and maybe others users) ?
    That's why....
    BTW, when I will decide to switch from MP1 to MP2 (not tomorrow) at, least, I will be able to fix problems, if any.... ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom