[confirm] Slow channel changing... sometimes freeze (1 Viewer)

jestermgee

Portal Pro
February 23, 2008
In a house
Home Country
Some further tests seem to show that for the MPEG2 codec, if I choose anything other than the MPC MPEG2 codec (eg LAV or ffdshow) it causes the freezing issue but with the MPC selected I can change channels without freezing.

Any ideas what this may suggest?

Attachments

• doesnt work.JPG
    doesnt work.JPG
    69.7 KB
  • works.JPG
    works.JPG
    69.5 KB

K24A3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Have you tried rescanning all the channels? Sometimes broadcasters change things so it's good to refresh the channels now and then.

Updating the Graphics Driver and trying a different USB Port or PCI Slot may also help since hardware can share the same IRQ/DMA resources and conflict.

jestermgee

Portal Pro
    February 23, 2008
    In a house
    Home Country
    I can try and scan the channels again but the thing is it's working fine on an earlier release and also works fine with a certain combination of decoders, just not when using ffdshow tho I think there may be issues with the saf release...

I have 2 dual tuners in my server in pcie slots and cannot change them. Not about to either since they have been running fine with earlier mp releases since 2008. The real reason I decided to try and upgrade and use different codecs was because of the de-interlacing issues I have at the moment. It's livable, but noticeably worse off than normal video and DVD viewing.

Live tv setup has always been painful. It seems I can get 95% working no matter what I do. Big piss off is the crappy aver media software for the card works 100% and looks way better but is not htpc friendly nor server client capable. Suppose I will just hold back and continue to wait and see if things improve.

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    It might be worth running DPC Latency Checker on your system to make sure you don't have the driver of another item interfering with your GPU.

I've got a client (Shuttle XS35GT ION2) that has DPC latency issues & displays those symptoms. Viewing via RTSP works better than using the (debug option) UNC path.

The broadcast format change when changing channel seems to be the big issue. 576i>1080i (or reverse) or 576i>720p (or reverse). OneHD (1080i) & ABC News 24 (720p) tend to be my problem channels.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The broadcast format change when changing channel seems to be the big issue. 576i>1080i (or reverse) or 576i>720p (or reverse). OneHD (1080i) & ABC News 24 (720p) tend to be my problem channels.
    I have problems with this, but so far as I know only with FFDShow DXVA. I primarily use Cyberlink PDVD 10 and that has no such problem. The patch from owlsroost that jestermgee mentioned fixes the issue with FFDShow DXVA for me.

mm

jestermgee

Portal Pro
    February 23, 2008
    In a house
    Home Country
    I have problems with this, but so far as I know only with FFDShow DXVA. I primarily use Cyberlink PDVD 10 and that has no such problem. The patch from owlsroost that jestermgee mentioned fixes the issue with FFDShow DXVA for me.

mm

Can someone point me where to get the PDVD codec? I know it comes when Power DVD is installed but I have tried installing PDVD10 and 11 (just the free versions) and I don't get the codec available. I know they don't allow it easily to other apps but I would like to try this and see if it helps.

BTW: Through further hours of trial and error I have got it running better but haven't fully tested things. Setting all deinterlace options to BOB seems much better than Auto and I still cannot use ffdshow for MPEG2 decoding in MP because it causes the freeze on channel change. So far, using the MPC codec has been fine (except on the problem channels when switching I get the black screen, then a short burst of the old channel before the new channel opens up).

All seemed a lot more reliable in switching back on 1.0.3 :confused:

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    On my main system (server/client) I have an onboard Nvidia 9400 & am using LAV CUVID - no issue (no issue with the MS decoder either). On my desktop client (ASRock ION with MS decoder) I have no issue. The only one I have an issue with is the damn Shuttle (any decoder) & that's because of the DPC latency.:(

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    On my main system (server/client) I have an onboard Nvidia 9400 & am using LAV CUVID - no issue (no issue with the MS decoder either). On my desktop client (ASRock ION with MS decoder) I have no issue. The only one I have an issue with is the damn Shuttle (any decoder) & that's because of the DPC latency.:(
    Not to get off track here, but have you been able to figure out which device/driver is the problem? I've seen network adapters mentioned often as the cause. If you don't know what I mean, try disabling peripheral devices and controllers in device manager 1 after another until you find the cause by process of elimination (ie. DPC latency will be fine once the problem device(s) are disabled). If that doesn't work then updating drivers and BIOS might be a good idea.

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Not to get off track here, but have you been able to figure out which device/driver is the problem? I've seen network adapters mentioned often as the cause. If you don't know what I mean, try disabling peripheral devices and controllers in device manager 1 after another until you find the cause by process of elimination (ie. DPC latency will be fine once the problem device(s) are disabled). If that doesn't work then updating drivers and BIOS might be a good idea.

Unfortunately it's not one of the obvious candidates (such as NICs). I've been through & disabled everything I can without completely killing the system. The last thing to try will be to shift to IDE from AHCI.

Only 2 BIOS versions available (using the latest, but was the same with the original). Shuttle really dropped the ball with this model - they've already replaced it with a V2. The hardware IDs aren't registered with the driver makers (Intel, Nvidia, JMicron, etc) so the latest drivers from them refuse to install (hacked they install, but it makes no difference).

It's a fundamental BIOS issue by the looks of it (probably the ACPI implementation) & it's only really exposed by the most taxing work on the GPU (highish bitrate MPEG2, especially interlaced content), so that's probably why they haven't had much complaint or done anything about it.

It will be interesting to see if the others are having latency issues.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Unfortunately it's not one of the obvious candidates (such as NICs). I've been through & disabled everything I can without completely killing the system. The last thing to try will be to shift to IDE from AHCI.

Only 2 BIOS versions available (using the latest, but was the same with the original). Shuttle really dropped the ball with this model - they've already replaced it with a V2. The hardware IDs aren't registered with the driver makers (Intel, Nvidia, JMicron, etc) so the latest drivers from them refuse to install (hacked they install, but it makes no difference).

It's a fundamental BIOS issue by the looks of it (probably the ACPI implementation) & it's only really exposed by the most taxing work on the GPU (highish bitrate MPEG2, especially interlaced content), so that's probably why they haven't had much complaint or done anything about it.

It will be interesting to see if the others are having latency issues.
    What an awful problem! :(
    It sounds like you've done everything right and gone to quite extensive lengths to investigate every possible option. I hope the IDE reversion solves the problem. After looking at a couple of photos of the system I also wondered whether heat could be a factor, but I guess you've thought of that and eliminated it. The only other thought I had was performance modes and C1E type stuff...
    :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom