1.23.0 Slow rendering times (1 Viewer)

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Downgraded MP to 1.21 (and all relevant plugins). First test: no problems, so I'm going to use this for a week and see what info I get

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Telling windows to set the refreshrate to 50Hz and then back to what it was sometimes solves it too.
    I am curious -- what video are you watching that has a refresh rate different from 50Hz?

If you are watching live TV or recorded TV, the frame rate (for non interlaced) or field rate (for interlaced) will be 25p, 50p, or 50i. Even if you are watching a movie that was originally filmed at 24 frames per second, that will have been converted by the broadcaster to work best when viewed at 50Hz (since your TV is working at 50Hz).

If you are watching a European DVD, that will work best at... 50Hz (since it is intended to appear on TVs running at 50Hz).

If you are watching home videos filmed with a European video camera, they will work best at... 50Hz (since the manufacturer designed the camera to work best with European TVs running at 50Hz).

Caveats:
    • This applies to European TV, DVDs, and videos. American equivalents work at 60Hz, so if you are watching American-sourced video material, then a different refresh rate would probably be appropriate.
    • It is quite possible that I have no idea what I am talking about. :eek:
    -- from CyberSimian in the UK

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have all kinds of different sources: TV (iptv!) is indeed mostly 25fps, I have one channel that's 30fps (not 100% sure, channel is down atm so cannot check)
    Movies is 24p, 23.976, 25p and 30p
    Onlinevideos is about the same spreading

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have all kinds of different sources: TV (iptv!) ... Movies is 24p, 23.976, 25p and 30p ... Onlinevideos is about the same spread.
    As the MediaPortal Luddite, I have not yet been persuaded that streaming video from the internet would improve the quality of my life :eek:.

But I recognise that others do not share this view. :D

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This one went fast. 1.20 has the same issue too...
    Now I'm going to triplecheck 1.19 to be absolutely sure it worked back then

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I am not sure that I have understood the precise nature of the problem that you are experiencing, but in the past I have had a problem with "juddering", or "jerky" video, but I never looked at the rendering graphs to see if there was a correlation. :(

Specifically, the problem that I had was evident when the camera panned horizontally, or with a horizontally-scrolling news tickertape (e.g. on the "BBC News" channel), or with vertically-scrolling programme credits. Some part of this is definitely due to de-interlace processing.

I have two test files on my system that exhibit jerky horizontal panning. For the first file I was able to cure the jerky horizontal panning by using a different setting for the de-interlace processing (y). Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a de-interlace setting that will cure the jerky horizontal panning shown by the second test file :(.

Allegedly, broadcasters switch frequently between progressive and interlaced video (even within the same scene in a programme :eek:), and certain graphics adapters are not able to switch quickly enough to avoid a visible discontinuity in the video output. Note that this is not necessarily related to the performance of the graphics adapter -- some high-performance adapters designed for games can show this problem, while some lower-specified adapters do not show it.

I am not sure whether my de-interlacing problem is the same as the video signal switching rapidly between progressive and interlaced (there may be two different problems). I am also not sure whether this is the problem that you have, or whether your problem is completely different. :confused:

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Switching interlacing on a regular basis seems indeed like a strange thing todo, but they probably have their reasons...
    Anyway I don't suspect interlacing to be the issue (although I didn't check that for 100%). It's indeed the juddery videos if I don't use the dynamic refresh rate changer, and if I do use that, that over time render times get so slow that the render just can't keep up and starts dropping frames like a madman.

This effects is most notable when people are talking, that the audio/video sync seems to be meandering around perfect sync

Edit: strange thing is, restarting mediaportal gives no improvements, I need to fully restart the pc. So (and that's the thing that puzzles me most) there is something going on at the os-level that makes this happen, and I still don't know how an application can mess things up like this

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, it remember something to me. And we used a tool to test, I didn't remembered the name, the only one that come in mind was dependency walker. It was a tool to analyse irq interruption on os level and I'm pretty sure it was related or generated like your issue. Will try to find the tool but it was before win10. And it was needed to change something on bios make soft or windows working better.

Tapatalk

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I have found the name, it was : DPCLatency but not working on WIN10 (maybe there is a new version) I didn't look at it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom