Some Bad News for MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Frenzy thanks for the great link on features comparison, and it only scratches the surface! A link to that might be helpful on the MP homepage or Features page!

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Windows 7 RC1 just came out, and I installed it on my media center. The built-in media center app is much better than the Vista/XPMCE media center. It installs easily and perfectly...with no need to do any custom setup. It also uses almost no resources compaired to MediaPortal. No need for an SQL server, no need for a TVservice that takes 5 minutes to start. This is great news for me and most everyone else...except for the mediaportal staff.

I'm really interested in how you did the multi-seat setup in Windows7 environment.

Simone

DJBlu

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Llanelli
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I got good news for MediaPortal.

Windows 7 isn't being installed on my machines until Vista updates are unavailable.
    Vista will only be installed when updates for WinXP will be unavailable.

I can't beleive the cheek of some people.

[sarcasm]

"MediaPortal! Why aren't you supporting an OS that is clearly in beta stages?"
    "I will be forced to use their better version of Media Centre"
    "This better change or I'm off"

[/sarcasm]

All those using Windows 7, pick up a book/search google about DirectX,.NET,C++,DVB-T/S/C/S2 drivers, learn all about this and start helping out.

Rant over.

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This not even worth debating, windows media center will never be able to do all the things mediaportal can. If all you want it for is watching movies and tv then fine but your even limited there. Not worth makes a comparison for since we all know what would come out on top.

paddy01

Portal Member
    April 28, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'd have to go completely the other way. I came to Media Portal from Windows 7 (beta) as it was simply too locked down for me. I couldn't even find a way (without major major fiddling) of using ffdshow for divx instead of the built in one.

Yes there are plugins for a dvd library (My Movies) and also for TV series (Video Library) however whilst I have the utmost respect / appreciation for the people that wrote them, they're not a patch on MP Tv-Series and Moving Pictures.. mainly I suspect due to restrictions placed upon them by working with something so locked down as Win7.

Windows Media center in Win7 is without doubt a massive improvement over that in Vista and certainly it will surfice for a casual user who might want to watch TV and a few videos via a 10ft interface however if someone were asking me what I'd recommend for a dedicated HTPC, MP really is a league ahead in my opinion. There is a learning curve involved and it won't be for everyone but there you go, variety is the spice of life.

I'd add that I feel competition (in any arena) is good. Without it things tend to stagnate, when there's an element of competition then it's surprising just how innovative people can become.

captainjack

Portal Member
    March 25, 2008
    Oh well..

To each is own. Some people have the skill set to trouble shoot problems and some others don't. Some people want just the basics and others want more. You guys do a great job considering you do it because you like it and the fact that Mediaportal is being installed on hardware that you have no way to test against is a feat in itself.

I am proud to say that I have been using MP full time since about late 2008 and am very pleased with it (DVB,Music,PVR,SAT Radio). I was not sure if going the HTPC way was going to work with the GF but she is now warming up to it. If she keeps warm and she will actually use it then the HTPC stays and a donation will be on its way.

Thanks again guys.
    CJ

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    In short, Windows 7 users are better off without MediaPortal.

Wow thats an interesting statement!

So you've decided that for all HTPC users, W7 is a better option than MP?

I think you may actually NOT be the only MP user to have tried W7 and made up their own mind which they prefer. I find it interesting- you assume that you are.

I'll file this post under the plethora of useless-information posts that that seem to abound on various computing forums, along various lines including; "macs are better then PC's", "nVidia is better than ATI", "Intel is better than AMD", "Linux is better than Microsoft", each listing all the tiresome reasons why various individuals insist their favorite computing toy is soooo much better than everyone else's.

aidbish

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2007
    righthandside 3/4 way up
    I'll file this post under the plethora of useless-information posts that that seem to abound on various forums, along various lines including; "macs are better then PC's", "nVidia is better than ATI", "Intel is better than AMD", "Linux is better than Microsoft", each listing all the tiresome reasons why various individuals insist their favorite computing toy is soooo much better than everyone else's.

Well said.
    Cant we just delete threads like this, they serve no purpose at all :mad:

ps. my mediaportal is better than yours.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    ps. my mediaportal is better than yours.

is not :p

But mine is better than your's as I run custom build of some random SVN, or used to run before 1.0 was out :p. Now 1.0 has been working so good that I didn't even bother to update 1.0.1, just waiting 1.0.2 to be released and do the update...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom