Some Bad News for MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

KillerBug

April 26, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
First let me be clear: I greatly appreciate the efforts of the programers and other volunteers on the mediaportal project. I can't overstate this enough.

Windows 7 RC1 just came out, and I installed it on my media center. The built-in media center app is much better than the Vista/XPMCE media center. It installs easily and perfectly...with no need to do any custom setup. It also uses almost no resources compaired to MediaPortal. No need for an SQL server, no need for a TVservice that takes 5 minutes to start. This is great news for me and most everyone else...except for the mediaportal staff.

In short, Windows 7 users are better off without MediaPortal. Granted there will be a long time before Windows 7 dominates the PC market, but it is only a matter of time (especialy considering the overal quality of Windows 7 is already better than Windows XP SP3, and it is still not a final release).

Again, I appreciate your work greatly...and I hope the project can evolve to surpass Windows 7. It might even become a kind of stand-alone device operating system. Or at the least, it may be a viable alternative, such as Firefox is to Internet Explorer.

Once again, I must give thanks for providing a viable media center for Vista/XP.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

remb0

Portal Pro
April 2, 2009
are there plugins like: movingpictures / tv series
options for rss ticker.

and a create community like media portal?

maybe it's good to make a table to compare xbmc/media portal / vista mce / win7 mce etc.

thesystemera

Portal Pro
May 26, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I agree completely... Sorry mate, gotta put the money where your mouth is... Really, right now, I have my last.fm account picking me music videos off youtube while upslacing iit to HD and converting the audio to 5.1 :D

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    maybe it's good to make a table to compare xbmc/media portal / vista mce / win7 mce etc.

I would love to see such a table, I just pity the poor person who tries to list all MP features. After using MP for more than two years, I am still discovering so many things it can do that I didn't realize.

I could never live without my plugins anyway!

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    First let me be clear: I greatly appreciate the efforts of the programers and other volunteers on the mediaportal project. I can't overstate this enough.

Windows 7 RC1 just came out, and I installed it on my media center. The built-in media center app is much better than the Vista/XPMCE media center. It installs easily and perfectly...with no need to do any custom setup. It also uses almost no resources compared to MediaPortal. No need for an SQL server, no need for a TVservice that takes 5 minutes to start. This is great news for me and most everyone else...except for the mediaportal staff.

In short, Windows 7 users are better off without MediaPortal. Granted there will be a long time before Windows 7 dominates the PC market, but it is only a matter of time (especially considering the overall quality of Windows 7 is already better than Windows XP SP3, and it is still not a final release).

Again, I appreciate your work greatly...and I hope the project can evolve to surpass Windows 7. It might even become a kind of stand-alone device operating system. Or at the least, it may be a viable alternative, such as Firefox is to Internet Explorer.

Once again, I must give thanks for providing a viable media center for Vista/XP.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Does it support DVB-S2? I checked at the green button and apparently NO. How about combining channels? NO, in fact it's hell with a big number of channels. Ok, How about a multiseat setup? How about refresh rate handling? I could go on a bit and I'm just talking basic features here - no plugins.

Is it Idiot-Proof? YES
    In fact, it's the only aspect you looked at and in the comparison it managed to tip you over. Well, we know now which demographic you belong to and I'm glad you found a piece of software that suits you. Have fun.

But next time killerbug do your homework on the software you're comparing. Ignorance is bliss and you're damn near a nirvana-like state of mind.:D

Basic features Comparison table

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    For simple functions it probably does match mediaportal, but once you actually do anything semi complicated I think you would find mediaportal is superior.

As mentioned above - multiple cards, DVB-S/S2, Moving Pictures, My TVSeries, codecs and upscaling, total control and able to modify code..etc!

Basically - what we already know - mediaportal is not that well suited for non-techies or people without lots of time on their hands!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom