kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Hi all,

can you recommend any particular SSD 30-60GB?

Please don't advise me to google it - I read a lot about those things in Internet, but every month there is another, new ranking/benchmark/article/comparison. With so much information it's really hard to choose.

I'm considering the following at the moment:

Corsair Nova CSSD-V32GB2-BRKT

OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 2.5" 30GB

OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G 2.5" 50GB

Regards,
    kesar

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: SSD recommendation

I've got the OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G running in my system. I can recommend it. Really fast, nothing else to say.

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've got a 128GB OCZ Vertex running in my laptop which is nice and quick, however I've just put a couple of 60GB OCZ Vertex 2E's in the Media Center and the Server and they really fly, so I'd definitely recommend the Vertex 2E's :D

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I have an Intel X25-V 40GB in my HTPC. I can suggest for you.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    I have an OCZ Vertex 30GB in HTPC and a Vertex2 60GB in my main PC.

The Vertex 2 is quicker but the older Vertex is plenty fast enough for HTPC use. Had it for a while now and main improvement is boot and resume from standby.

I see you are using XP (as I am with HTPC) this makes life a little more difficult as XP is not designed to cope with SSDs. You have to fiddle about aligning drive partitions and all sorts of things....
    Guide Partition alignment importance under Windows XP (32-bit and 64-bit)..why it helps with stuttering and increases drive working life.
    Making XP pro SSD friendly

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: SSD recommendation

as jameson_uk stated before ssd and xp is not the easiest way to go. so I'd like to recommend to buy at least a 60gb ssd in case you will install win 7.

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I have the 160GB version of the Intel X25-m V2, a pure pleasure ! So I suggest you get the 80GB version.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Thank you all.

I have chosen OCZ Vertex (2). They look good.

One more thing: did you port your OS from previous HDD as a disk image or installed from scratch. I would like to use the first option, since my whole system is well configured and it was a lot of work. Any hints how to do it? Is it simple disk image backup recovery or it needs more sophisticated method?

Bagal

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 15, 2006
    Home Country
    I restored the latest backup from my Home Server but any disk imaging software should be able to clone the existing drive on to the new one.

Probably the only thing to be aware of is if your existing drive is bigger than the new one as most of the disk cloning software I've used won't let you clone to a smaller drive even though the amount of data is less than the size of the drive, which is exactly the problem I had with Windows Home Server. In the end I resized the existing partition, created a new backup and then restored from the smaller backup, but it was a pain to have to do that.

I've previously used DriveImageXML for creating disk images which I believe can do what you want and it's free, although I'm sure there's plenty of other options out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom