SSD recommendation (2 Viewers)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    (Disclaimer: I sometimes buy from there but I neither endorse or recommend them, buy at your own risk, etc).
    Coward ;)
    lol

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    I just spent 2 days installing my new OCZ Agility 2 60GB. Using serveral scenarios I finally gave up on "alignment" disk to XP. I had constant "error loading operating system" during first bootup. It is described in a few posts in OCZ forum - possible conflict with Asus MBs. For more info on this topic please PM me.

Anyway I'm extremely happy. Even without "alignment" it is like thunder. The difference in GUI response is huge. My HTPC finally feels like hardware-based solution :D I recommend SSD to every one. Simple Windows XP restore backup operation took 6:45 min. comparing to 44 min with my 5400 rpm WD disk. It's really amazing.

So..., every one complaining about GUI responsiveness grab your SSD.

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Could you tell me what Windows XP tells you the Disk Size is in My Computer?
    I have a 3 different SSD drives and they all show a much lower disk size than I expect.

On another topic remember...

If you run XP then remember to turn off the Indexing on the SSD:

<Windows Start> + E
    Right click C: (or whichever drive letter the SSD is assigned).
    Properties
    General Tab
    Uncheck "Allow Indexing..."

SSDs use random access memory and therefore indexing is not applicable.
    If you Allow Indexing (checked by default) then the indexing service wastes disk i/o and cpu cycles.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    My disk shows 55.9GB total capacity, including 2 partitions.

Regarding the indexing... thanks I already did it and many other tricks described in this guide Making XP SSD friendly recommended by jameson_UK in earlier post.

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    can recommend Samsung 32GB (MMCRE32G5MSP) on Win7. Really fast. Actual 18.5 GB Win7 + MP 1.1. final.
    I'd switched off the recovery function, so Win will not grow and use ccleaner to delete old prefetch data from updates.
    Win7 has inbuilt image function and it takes 7 minutes to restore. Easier than all backupsettings procedures before.

ritchie

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

kesar
    is it possible to run a SSD on a windows XP system ? Any hints, if so ?
    (I am using the Media Center Edition.)

If so, what are the boot up times in general, because I would like to update my system with a SSD as well,
    but if the boot up time does not increase hardly, wouldn't like to spend so many money (180 Euro).

Greatings

R.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: Re: SSD recommendation

Hi,

@kesar

If so, what are the boot up times in general, because I would like to update my system with a SSD as well,
    but if the boot up time does not increase hardly, wouldn't like to spend so many money (180 Euro).

Greatings

R.

Of course you can use a SSD with WinXP - however you should make sure to use special instructions for partition alignment to get full speed of it.
    I would not focus on the boot time (ok, I use S3 anyway, so it's only seconds until HTPC is "on") - but biggest advantage is the extreme improvement when randomly accessing many files (like Thumbs etc.) - that gave me improvement from 20-60 secs to 2 secs for long lists.... so I was so happy with it, that I today ordered another one for second HTPC (WinXP).

btw: I use vertex2 60GB - it's 105 Euros ...

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi,

@kesar

Greatings

R.

Boot time includes POST, BIOS load and RAID controller (if any) which will not change.
    That said disk i/o is faster than HDD. If you have RAID then you might want to purchase 2 smaller SSDs and RAID 0 them.
    I use SSDs for the OS in all my PCs. Windows XP MCE easily fits on 32GB SSD.

kesar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2008
    Warsaw
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Hi,
    nothing to add to these previous advises.
    Boot time is not everything - as Guzzi stated - it is also quietness and general improved GUI responsiveness.
    I can only recommend using SSD.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i have a quick question!

if i get an SSD for my HTPC..should i keep my other regular sataII HDD for storage or will that need to be replaced as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom