FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Great thread so far. Many good ideas and willing people to help. :)

Just a suggestion: Make a meeting in IRC, maybe the best way to sort this out.

Flip

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    FlipGer said:
    Hi,

Great thread so far. Many good ideas and willing people to help. :)

Flip

Personally, I don't use IRC. However, I have proposed a test plan and offered to collate the data and send it to the programmers.

If my proposed test plan is unsuitable (only the programmers will be able to tell us that) then we need advice on revising it.

If it seems reasonable, then all we really need is for people to get on with some testing and send me the information. Could the people who find my suggestion acceptable and intend to participate post a reply or send me an email to give me an idea of numbers?

The proposed test plan is basic, but it is intended to find out if there is a general problem with CPU usage in the myTV module, and to see if there are any common features between systems having these problems.

The one bit of information I probably also need from participants is operating system version/.net version/service packs. Forgot to mention this earlier.

Mark

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    you give me the testplan and i give you an report. ASAP

looks like we get testing started :D

btw. you have got mail

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    FlipGer said:
    thanks for the suggestion :)
    but i think we need some people who can write testplans first.
    many thanks to elliottmc who is the first one :D

after that an IRC chat about the test strategy could be realy helpful to get the best (useful) results.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    robomonkey said:
    @elliottmc - Can you post your testplan so we can see it, because I've started writing one, but if you covered everything then mine won't be needed.

Hi,

I already did, but here it is again.

Install a fresh copy of MediaPortal 0.1.3.0 (not the current CVS, so we are all working from the same base).

1. Reboot your machine.

1a. Make sure the renderer setting for myTV is set to Overlay.

2. Control-alt-delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager. This is needed for CPU usage.

3. Start Media Portal and go straight to myTV. When the TV is playing, make a note of the average CPU usage.

Run through these steps with the renderer set to VMR renderless.

Run through these steps with timeshifting on and off to see if that makes a difference.

Then do the same, and start recording. Note any difference in CPU usage.

Keep this information very succinct, and email it, along with the following information about your system.

Windows Version/.net version/service packs
    Motherboard
    CPU
    TV Tuner
    Graphics card

to mark2246@hotmail.com

I realise that this is pretty basic, but we have to start somewhere. You could then try the same with the latest CVS version and see if the development team have made any improvements in the areas which we are having problems in.

Best wishes,

Mark

vbap

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mark,

Can I suggest to anyone that is able to submit results for your My TV CPU Usage testplan, that they attach the info from DxDiag?

Start -> Run -> DxDiag
    (Select "No" when prompted to check for WHQL signed drivers)
    Then, choose the "Save All information" button.

This creates a ~50Kb .TXT file with exact details about iimportant hardware and software in a consistent and undisputed format. It probably gives too much info...but that's better tahn gpoing back to everyone and asking, oh, please supply video card make/model/drievrs as well please...

Maybe, we also need to know what other config files are useful eg mediaportal.xml, and also what settings are on the video card eg hardware accel).

Maybe, someone can write a utility for collecting all the useful info into a single file that can be attached to every test plan that is submitted. This would help potential testers (like myself ), focus their time on just running the tests, documenting results and not worrying about filling out the same info about their system setup and then forgetting they upgraded a video driver or windows update ran without knowing, or their TV card has changed...

A lot of maybes, I know...

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    robomonkey said:
    @elliottmc - Can you post your testplan so we can see it, because I've started writing one, but if you covered everything then mine won't be needed.
    it would be nice if you could also finish your testplan. :)

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Avalon111

I have noticed that you are particularly active in the forum and really seem eager to help out.

What I think we need to get this testing on the move is someone to organise it. Maybe you can do this? You don't need to know anything about how things should be tested just know who is doing what and what needs to be done.

You could be the one the developers turns to when they need something tested. Then all you need to do is ask your teem of testers who are willing to take this task and assign it to someone.

You could be the one that see to it that every part of MP has a test plan.

It would be grate if you would be willing to take this task and have the time and motivation to do it.

Now to something else:
    When a test plan is maid for a specific part of MP, the developer of this part should have the final word what the plan should contain. (The developer knows best how things should work and not)

r/tk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom