Stereo Sound on 5.1 Speaker Setup (2 Viewers)

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
So WASAPI is crap and totally useless. :-(

So I need another solution instead of using WASAPI... Could someone please remove the "[solved]" ?

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Pleas refrain from injurious comments.
No! It's totally bullshit!

EVERY audio signal from my HTPC was send with the same volume. No matter if I used BASS, MPAR, LAV Filter, WebBrowser, PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, TrueHD, DTS HD Master, etc. Only with WASAPI the volume is 4-8 (!!!) times louder. This is incredible loud! That kills your speakers and your ears and the ears of all your neighbors!

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    EVERY audio signal from my HTPC was send with the same volume. No matter if I used BASS, MPAR, LAV Filter, WebBrowser, PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, TrueHD, DTS HD Master, etc. Only with WASAPI the volume is 4-8 (!!!) times louder
    I have all this (BASS, MPAR, LAV Filter, WebBrowser, PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, TrueHD, DTS HD Master, WASAPI, etc.) sounds normal, for no volume differences. Intel 3225 + Pio AVR

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So how did you configured this?

I set Windows Speaker Volume to 50 of 100, because otherwise PCM is too loud. My AVR is set to -35dB. Everything is perfect. On some movies I have to set the AVR volume to -30dB on others to -40dB. That's a normal behaviour. This works for ANY audio signal no matter from which application (MediaPortal, WebBrowser, VLC, Windows Sounds, etc.) and it's the same volume for any source (Xbox One, Blu-ray Player, TV ARC and my HTPC).

With RadioTime and WASAPI I now have to set the AVR volume to -55dB or -60dB (depends on the Internet Radio Channel). So you watched a movie with -30dB and than switch over to RadioTime to hear some Internet Radio and now you have to set the volume to -60dB. That's a difference of 30dB. Thats incredible! 10dB is a factor of 2! So it's incredible loud and has nothing to do with my AVR. It's WASAPI and nothing else! So the big question is why and how to adjust the incredible loud volume of WASAPI (or RadioTime, if it is using WASAPI wrong...?)

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    With RadioTime and WASAPI I now have to set the AVR volume to -55dB or -60dB (depends on the Internet Radio Channel). So you watched a movie with -30dB and than switch over to RadioTime to hear some Internet Radio and now you have to set the volume to -60dB. That's a difference of 30dB. Thats incredible! 10dB is a factor of 2! So it's incredible loud and has nothing to do with my AVR. It's WASAPI and nothing else! So the big question is why and how to adjust the incredible loud volume of WASAPI (or RadioTime, if it is using WASAPI wrong...?)
    I'm at this problem do not watch. Sound in Windows stands at 100%. No additional settings I did not do. Everything works perfectly. My receiver range in volume units. Usually the level is 30-50 ...

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Maybe the problem is to configure the driver for the sound? What is there in the Catalyst in this regard?

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe your receiver has an option to automatically adjust different volumes to prevent those peaks... but as I explained it is still a big issue of WASAPI or how MediaPortal uses WASAPI, cause it's not correct that the volume is 4-8 times louder than everything else. By the way this unexpected behaviour can damage your avr or speaker!

If any PCM signal from BASS, Windows Applications, Windows Sounds, etc. uses the Windows Speaker Volume and any bitstream signal ignores the Windows Speaker Volume and both signals have the same volume but with WASAPI PCM is 4-8 times louder it's a fact, that WASAPI is doing something wrong.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Maybe your receiver has an option to automatically adjust different volumes to prevent those peaks
    I do not remember such a function. I think that it is not. Pioneer VSX 828 with Direct mode
    that WASAPI is doing something wrong
    It works through your hardware drivers. He just ignores the mixer.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There are no settings for nVidia GTX 1050 TI to adjust a volume.

If I disable exklusive mode of WASAPI it will uses the Windows Mixer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom