Stereo Sound on 5.1 Speaker Setup (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But if the same source is 4-8 times louder only with WASAPI it is an issue of WASAPI...
    I don't agree. Maybe you've never heard of volume normalisation. ;)

I don't like compromises if there is no need to ;-)
    Obviously.
    I'm not convinced that what you're asking for is possible. However I freely admit I could be wrong. You've said in the past that you know how to write code. It'd be great if you would take the time to implement volume control for exclusive-mode WASAPI.

- Sent PCM 2.0 as PCM 2.0
    - Sent PCM 5.1 as PCM 5.1
    - Ignore Windows Speaker Config
    I repeat, just so we're very clear:
    1. This combination is only possible with WASAPI or ASIO.
    2. MP supports both WASAPI and ASIO for music (and other plugins), and WASAPI for everything else if you choose to use MPAR.

- control volume for PCM
    I'm not sure if this is possible with exclusive-mode WASAPI or ASIO. If it's possible, the SNR for the resulting stream will be reduced. In other words: the audio quality is lower. There's that compromise I was talking about! ;)

I understand that this rework can't be done with MediaPortal 1...
    Nobody has said MP1 couldn't be reworked. However, personally I'm satisfied with the current situation. In my opinion we've provided access to most if not all the relevant APIs, and lots of flexibility for people to customise for their own needs.

...but I hope that you will consider this for MediaPortal 2.
    (I don't work on MP2.)

Because the current solution with hundreds of settings and hundreds of different places...
    Hundreds? Come on - you're exaggerating. That's not helpful. :(
    In my opinion MP has a reasonable number of audio settings. They're only in two places:
    1. MP Config -> music
    2. MP Config -> Codecs and renderer
    Some codecs like LAV have additional settings (which are still available through MP Config -> Codecs and renderer). That's out of our control.
    Windows has additional settings. That's also out of our control.

If this is too complicated for you, I respectfully suggest you find another solution for your media needs.

...and each plugin uses different solution which are not compatible to the other solutions...
    You know this isn't true! :(
    As we saw with the RadioTime plugin, plugins use the music settings. Unless I've misunderstood, I'm not aware of any plugin that has a "different solution".

If I am not wrong, Kodi also handles it the correct way. And also any Media Center set top box. You only have one global audio settings and everything is perfect.
    Please feel free to use KODI or those STBs if they meet your needs.

P.S. This will be my last reply in this thread until you choose to answer my question about ASIO and provide your MPAR settings as requested. ;)

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    WASAPI ignores the volume settings and is damaging your speakers
    Well, I use it every day. No damage speakers. If the volume of the operating system installed on 100% is the sound level will be the same on all sources. Adjust the sound level on the receiver.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sound Volume depends on the mixer and volume settings

... Turn up the volume on your computer up to 100% and turn down the volume on the receiver, and will be the same everywhere. :)

That does not work for me either.;) I have always run with 100% volume in Windows and still had a much higher volume from WASPI compared to others (though not 4-8 times higher).
    I do wonder if it may be down to Nvidia:eek:, I recently changed from AMD and noted a significant reduction in volume with PCM audio, among other differencies. I note from the System specs. that ajs has an Intel GPU. Not sure I understand why there was/is a difference but for sure Nvidia gave me lower volume audio (no WASPI at that time) with nothing else but the GPU/drivers changed.:unsure:

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Please read the thread...................!!!
    I read.
    Just every day I use MP to view TV shows, movies and music. Watching online video and listen TyuneIn. My computer is connected to the receiver. The volume level is set in the computer 100%. The speaker configuration in the PC 5.1. I use WASAPI Exclusive for Music and LAV bitstream for everything else.
    On the receiver volume from 20 to 40 (in units of measurement of AVR). There are volume reserve of about 50%. And there is no problem.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    that ajs has an Intel GPU
    Yes ..
    Not sure I understand why there was/is a difference but for sure Nvidia gave me lower volume audio (no WASPI at that time) with nothing else but the GPU/drivers changed
    Maybe the driver has settings related to sound? I turned off all the possible improvements in the Intel drivers are concerned the output video and audio, as well shut down all the possible processing of video and audio.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    though not 4-8 times higher
    Sound level in stereo and multichannel different stereo almost always louder, though Flac 5.1 sound on the level Flac 2.0. But the sound in the series on the stereo track as louder than DTS ... If you look at the receiver's volume is approximately 30 and 40 I have.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's fine, but there is no solution. As you see in my case and other users cases it is not working.

As said:

- Bitstream is not affected by Windows Speaker Volume level. So I am watching a movie with -30dB (volume control of my AVR)
    - If Windows Speaker Volume level is set to 100/100 PCM is too loud, so I set it to 50/100 and PCM with BASS or MPAR is perfect. It has the same loudness as bitstream in my scenario
    - WASAPI ignores all settings. PCM with WASAPI is so loud that I have to set my AVR to -60dB. That's a difference of 30dB! This is very very huge! If I am not wrong 10dB means a factor of 2 so it is 8 times louder! So watching a movie with -30dB, switching to RadioTime without bear in mind to lower the volume on the AVR it makes BOOOOM. It is sooooo incredible loud!

nVidia has no Audio settings :-(

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe the driver has settings related to sound? I turned off all the possible improvements in the Intel drivers are concerned the output video and audio, as well shut down all the possible processing of video and audio.

nVidia has no Audio settings :-(

Same with the AMD Crimson drivers that I was using, no Audio settings.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    WASAPI ignores all settings
    Correct so: WASAPI Exclusive is not affected by Windows Speaker Volume level.

PS: YPAO Volume turned off? or turned on? Reciever mode set to Direct/Straight? Or? Try set to Pure Direct and check, Direct/Straight and check ... Try change Options for Volume/Sound control, page 98 ... of Manual ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom