Stereo Sound on 5.1 Speaker Setup (1 Viewer)

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
I already tried all those settings. And as expected all those settings have no affect on this issue. Those settings are for adjusting low and high frequencies and peaks from the same signal which have a wide range of dynamic frequencies. Those settings are usefull if you want to watch a movie at night without always changing the volume from scene to scene.

Pure Direct or Staight are only options to bypass DSP, equalizer, etc. The input volume is still the same and of course you don't want to hear with pure direct. Sounds terrible if you don't have very high end speakers and a very high end signal. This is an option for HiFi freaks. Not for watching movies, TV, etc. :D

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    This is an option for HiFi freaks. Not for watching movies, TV, etc.
    I use Direct mode on my Pio, This does not alter the sound, but uses the room settings and levels for speakers and a subwoofer.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    P.S. This will be my last reply in this thread until you choose to answer my question about ASIO and provide your MPAR settings as requested

MPAR is everything to default settings. I didn't change anything. I only disable sync in LAV Audio Filter as suggested by you (or someone else). So I have to try to disable the sync options in MPAR.... but that will not fixes the main problem with WASAPI. So if I have to set 2.0 in Windows Speaker Config because of using BASS there is no need to use MPAR.

I cant use ASIO. It tells me that there is no ASIO device installed on my PC. I dont know what ASIO is.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MPAR is everything to default settings.
    So I have to try to disable the sync options in MPAR...
    Yes. Please:
    1. For MPAR, disable the "enable v-sync adjustment" and "enable timestretch" options.
    2. For LAV audio, re-enable the "auto A/V sync correction" option.
    ...and then try to use MPAR for TV again.

I cant use ASIO. It tells me that there is no ASIO device installed on my PC.
    Okay.

I dont know what ASIO is.
    It's similar to WASAPI.
    Audio Stream Input/Output - Wikipedia

...but that will not fixes the main problem with WASAPI.
    Your sources are always going to have different volume levels. Different channels can have different volume... and different programs on the same channel can have different volume. Same with CDs/songs, DVDs, Blu-Rays etc. - each one can have different volume. In other words: you're probably always going to have to adjust the volume. The only question is how much you'll have to adjust it.

I have another idea:
    1. Does your AVR remember the volume setting independently for each input?
    2. Does your HTPC have a second digital audio output (eg. S/PDIF)?
    If yes and yes, one solution might be to use HDMI audio for TV, videos, DVD, BR (MPAR with bit-streaming for DD, DTS etc., and WASAPI for MPEG, AAC), and S/PDIF audio for music and other plugins (WASAPI). You can reduce the volume for the S/PDIF input on the AVR.

What do you think about that?

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have another idea:
    1. Does your AVR remember the volume setting independently for each input?
    2. Does your HTPC have a second digital audio output (eg. S/PDIF)?
    If yes and yes, one solution might be to use HDMI audio for TV, videos, DVD, BR (MPAR with bit-streaming for DD, DTS etc., and WASAPI for MPEG, AAC), and S/PDIF audio for music and other plugins (WASAPI). You can reduce the volume for the S/PDIF input on the AVR.

What do you think about that?

That would work, but I think it make no difference if I always have to change the audio input channel when switching between watching a movie to listening to Internet Radio, or if I always have to lower the volume from -30dB to -60dB while switching from movie to internet radio...

One more thing. MP does provide a volume setting for WASAPI. Please check the value of the "output level" setting:
    Music Configuration - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

Default is 100 (full scale/volume) for maximum SNR.

As you can see in the WIKI there is no volume setting for WASAPI. It is only for BASS. And of course I already tried that and hoped that this would work, but the volume setting for BASS has no effect to WASAPI.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As you can see in the WIKI there is no volume setting for WASAPI. It is only for BASS.
    According to the code that setting is used for BASS (non-WASAPI), ASIO, and WASAPI (BASS WASAPI).
    MediaPortal-1/MixerStream.cs at master · MediaPortal/MediaPortal-1 · GitHub

And of course I already tried that and hoped that this would work...
    Maybe it only works for WASAPI with non-exclusive mode. Can you check? ...and provide log files too please.

...but the volume setting for BASS has no effect to WASAPI.
    As above: it is definitely used for WASAPI as well as BASS.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can check if it is working with non-exclusive mode, but then it makes no sense, because with non-exklusive mode WASAPI uses Windows Speaker Config, so PCM 2.0 is packed in a PCM 5.1 signal again and then it is the same with BASS.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can check if it is working with non-exclusive mode, but then it makes no sense...
    I know. Please just check.
    (I can't check myself because Windows XP doesn't support WASAPI.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom